Pond Design Feedback?

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Tried to sketch up an idea I have for the pond I am planning on building in the spring (see pic). Originally, and still may be the case, the pond was just going to be to the left of the house (facing from the road). Since we are planning on redoing our landscaping in the front anyway, I had the idea of putting the bog (to the right) with a stream running into the pond. I added where the main waterline comes into my house and where the septic and leach field are. I dont want the pond to be to close or sitting over the top of either. Worse case, if they ever needed maintenance I could just re-do a part of the stream or bog without having to disturb the pond.

There is some slope but not a lot. I plan to build up the bog side and at least level it out. I dont want to build it up to the point it completely covers the foundation. Does it look like there will be enough slope to create a stream? Is there a minimum slope I will need for this to work? Normally, I would have gotten outside with string and a level but stuck in the house due to a snow storm.

I do think having a bog in that location would be really cool and a great way to showcase the plants.

Happy to hear any other thoughts around this design.
Pond design.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Tried to sketch up an idea I have for the pond I am planning on building in the spring (see pic). Originally, and still may be the case, the pond was just going to be to the left of the house (facing from the road). Since we are planning on redoing our landscaping in the front anyway, I had the idea of putting the bog (to the right) with a stream running into the pond. I added where the main waterline comes into my house and where the septic and leach field are. I dont want the pond to be to close or sitting over the top of either. Worse case, if they ever needed maintenance I could just re-do a part of the stream or bog without having to disturb the pond.

There is some slope but not a lot. I plan to build up the bog side and at least level it out. I dont want to build it up to the point it completely covers the foundation. Does it look like there will be enough slope to create a stream? Is there a minimum slope I will need for this to work? Normally, I would have gotten outside with string and a level but stuck in the house due to a snow storm.

I do think having a bog in that location would be really cool and a great way to showcase the plants.

Happy to hear any other thoughts around this design.
looks fine to me; the only concern might be you're putting the bog over any septic drain pipes? Up near the house? Maybe the pic isn't showing what I'm seeing...

As long as you have some pitch/slope, you'll be fine. Water runs down your gutter system and that pitch is only 1/4" in 12". Some issue might be the depth of your stream to get the 'look' you want re flow etc. Some tweaking will probably happen but it usually does.

Gonna dig this mano a mano with a hand shovel or spring for the heavy machinery???

'let's Ride!'

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Theres more then enough to have a stream flowing toward the pond and when you build your bog you can even elevate the high point a bit as well. the trick will be to not have the bog look like a volcano or out of place if it is built up but some properly sized boulders can easily make this work, The other idea is to have a water fall from the bog to the stream but at a couple 4 or 5 feet away make it so the stream is dammed up a bit. so you can make another drop. There are multiple videos out the on stream building. and how to make them look natural. the first rule to me is not to have it all the same width depth or rocks to small along the edges and those rocks should never all be length wise end to end .

heres on video with a well done stream though much higher then your you can see what i mean by damming the stream 3rd video https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/some-very-impressive-pond-builds.26353/page-2

Last edited:

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
looks fine to me; the only concern might be you're putting the bog over any septic drain pipes? Up near the house? Maybe the pic isn't showing what I'm seeing...

As long as you have some pitch/slope, you'll be fine. Water runs down your gutter system and that pitch is only 1/4" in 12". Some issue might be the depth of your stream to get the 'look' you want re flow etc. Some tweaking will probably happen but it usually does.

Gonna dig this mano a mano with a hand shovel or spring for the heavy machinery???

'let's Ride!'
The bog will be in front of the house but at least a few feet away. It will be over the pipe that goes out to the septic further into the yard. Its below the frost line and the bog will be the shallow style at aroud 12" so shouldnt be an issue.

Havent decided. The bog and stream shouldnt be bad by hand. The pond will be about 15x15, so more of an undertaking. Brother in law lives a few hours away, he has an excavator and would probably make the trip if I asked. Without knowing how the digging will be I am not sure. I did have some work done on the other side where my septic distribution box is and it was all sand.

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Theres more then enough to have a stream flowing toward the pond and when you build your bog you can even elevate the high point a bit as well. the trick will be to not have the bog look like a volcano or out of place if it is built up but some properly sized boulders can easily make this work, The other idea is to have a water fall from the bog to the stream but at a couple 4 or 5 feet away make it so the stream is dammed up a bit. so you can make another drop. There are multiple videos out the on stream building. and how to make them look natural. the first rule to me is not to have it all the same width depth or rocks to small along the edges and those rocks should never all be length wise end to end .

heres on video with a well done stream though much higher then your you can see what i mean by damming the stream 3rd video https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/some-very-impressive-pond-builds.26353/page-2
Right and especially where this is located I want/need it to look as natural as possible. I do want at least a few drops.

I cant build it up much higher without going above the foundation which I def dont want to do. I will need to create a level area, as the yard starts sloping back down the other way.

Thanks for the link, I have been living on youtube lately watching videos and will have to check some of these out as well. I did watch the Aquascape one around calculating rock! Found I needed quite a bit more than i thought!

My main focus lately has been sourcing the rock. Mainly, the larger pieces around 24" that I can still hopefully roll but not need heavy equipment. Found someone that can deliver around 8 ton and quoted me 350-450 for the load delivered. Seems ok but I am going to stop into some quarries, once this latest round of snow melts.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The bog will be in front of the house but at least a few feet away. It will be over the pipe that goes out to the septic further into the yard. Its below the frost line and the bog will be the shallow style at aroud 12" so shouldnt be an issue.

Havent decided. The bog and stream shouldnt be bad by hand. The pond will be about 15x15, so more of an undertaking. Brother in law lives a few hours away, he has an excavator and would probably make the trip if I asked. Without knowing how the digging will be I am not sure. I did have some work done on the other side where my septic distribution box is and it was all sand.
definitely, bribe your brother in law; you'll thank us later! BUT! Just so you can brag, have someone take pictures of you, shovel in hand at various depths (with the excavator NOT in the pic!!!), hey? We won't tell anyone...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
You will enjoy having your water feature right outside your windows!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i wouldn't go to crazy out from because as soon as its built and you reallize how much you love it youll want one in the back

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
i wouldn't go to crazy out from because as soon as its built and you reallize how much you love it youll want one in the back
Hey gbbudd, that’s partially why we are putting it in the front, we have an IG pool right off the back, with 3 sides sloping toward the rest of our backyard. We never use the section of yard behind the pool and were thinking if we put it back there we wouldn’t really see it or go down to it as much. The front yard is huge and currently lacking some curb appeal. It would be nice to have it really close and right off my home office. I have read through most of your build and love how yours is right off your patio! We would probably do the same if it wasn’t for this d$&n swimming pool in the back…haha.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
UNDERSTOOD. for the front i would try to make it more irregularly shaped then just a round pond make it more like a s Long and narrow.maybe with a sitting area. you'll need it . When i built the original pond the fish swam around a bit but not like they do now with the addition between the two areas they have about 50 feet to swim from one end to the other and they do swim much differently. As you have seen i do like the bigger more crazy set up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hey gbbudd, that’s partially why we are putting it in the front, we have an IG pool right off the back, with 3 sides sloping toward the rest of our backyard. We never use the section of yard behind the pool and were thinking if we put it back there we wouldn’t really see it or go down to it as much. The front yard is huge and currently lacking some curb appeal. It would be nice to have it really close and right off my home office. I have read through most of your build and love how yours is right off your patio! We would probably do the same if it wasn’t for this d$&n swimming pool in the back…haha.
my money has you taking your office PONDSIDE! C'mon; any takers???? :cool: :D :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I love a front yard pond, but you do want to make sure you pond includes a place to sit and enjoy it from the outside as well. Bigger porch? Small patio? Even just a small fieldstone or cement pad where you can put a pretty bench would ensure that you have a place to sit and relax.

I'd consider a stacked slate sphere or urn or even a bowl as the "headwater" for your stream. I think they make beautiful front yard water features. Plus it gives you height and something that people could see from the street and wonder about what else is going on up there! A bit more formal, but still brings the water... which is what we're all here for!

Check out this pond build from Atlantis - they use a sphere to start the waterfall:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
first is dig safe and second is what does your county require for safety and laws . I see waterlines and septic but not electric . Our laws and I live in the country have changed and do not allow ponds to be placed in front part of house and say you need safety features , but mine is grandfathered in since the law was just introduced this year . Can't understand that stupid law when most of the county is bigger lots . most lots are from 3 acres to 100 or more acres . I guess it is mostly because of new developments near town or what they call city zones . We have lots of farm ponds on lots here also

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
first is dig safe and second is what does your county require for safety and laws . I see waterlines and septic but not electric . Our laws and I live in the country have changed and do not allow ponds to be placed in front part of house and say you need safety features , but mine is grandfathered in since the law was just introduced this year . Can't understand that stupid law when most of the county is bigger lots . most lots are from 3 acres to 100 or more acres . I guess it is mostly because of new developments near town or what they call city zones . We have lots of farm ponds on lots here also
I believe electric comes in along the side yard (not pictured). I am planning on calling before digging.

I live in a more rural town similar to where it sounds you live. I have called the town twice now and they havent returned my call. According to the person I talked to one of the building inspectors would be getting back to me...that was weeks ago. I have read through the code and the only bodies of water that appear to be regulated are Swimming Pools and as long as the intent of the pond is not for swimming there's no permit or fence required.

I many follow up my call with an email so I its documented i tried to contact them and they never responded.

Ask a Question