Pond Design Feedback?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes, normally I wouldnt be into a spillway such as these but in the front yard it does make sense and I def think it would grow on me. I am leaning toward a large bowl, if I can find one for less than ~$500 dollars Aquascape inc is selling them for. They make great videos but their products are way overpriced for what they are and its honestly starting to turn me off to them all together. I have even started to cringe when i hear their Aquascape Lifestyle catch phrase.
I only have aquascape lights and matrix blocks. I tried easy pro blocks and Aquascape blox the easy pro have larger spaces and they appear to be a lighter duty to the aquablox in my opinion. But the price of the snorkel and centipede made me devise my own.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I will continue to support them when I watch their videos but I have yet to find one of their proprietary products as the only option and worth the price they are charging.
If i had to chose i'd spend the money for aquablox over easy pro . being buried for a cistern but for a bog i would probably go with the easy pro they seem more then capable of holding a foot of gravel.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We put a stacked slate sphere in our front yard two years ago and added a ton of impact for under $1500 and we know that it will last a lifetime.
Damn it girl you never posted a pic of that not that i've seen anyways

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I became a front porch sitter when this went in...

IMG_2507.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I became a front porch sitter when this went in...

View attachment 147584
Sweet ..... Did you add a light? ... what size pump is in that ?
See now i can't believe this has not caught on how every home doesn't have a water feature of some sort. I'll never be without one again
The best staked slate urn i ever saw was on a video and they had the whole thing covered in algae it was wayyyyyyyyy cool

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a major problem because my easement is not valid . When lots were divided up somehow by my house the road for the developement was moved over more onto my property and before I bought the lots it was not taken care of . Seems like 7 times they changed lot sizes here and where the road should go . first was all 5 acre lots and the 4 acre lots then 3 acrea lots and the 1 acre lots and some reason road in front of my house was moved my way into my lots by 15 feet , so I own half of the road . There is also a culvert pipe that runs under my lot to no where . County cannot figure it out either . I just get money off my taxes every year to compensate me 3 acres and a thousand dollars in taxes and then when hubby and i turned 65 we got a seniors tax relief .I also for some reason on tax bill it says I have a view lot . I do see cows pooping is that considered a view from my hill lot to Marty's farm :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Did you add a light? ... what size pump is in that ?

It does have lights - three bullet spots that light it up and a color changing puck in the water flow. When it's set to orangish-yellow, you'd swear there were flames coming out of it.

We bought the kit - sphere, basin, pump and plumbing. The included pump was a 1500 GPH. We bought a bigger one, thinking we would upsize it, but this turned out to be perfect.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a major problem because my easement is not valid . When lots were divided up somehow by my house the road for the developement was moved over more onto my property and before I bought the lots it was not taken care of . Seems like 7 times they changed lot sizes here and where the road should go . first was all 5 acre lots and the 4 acre lots then 3 acrea lots and the 1 acre lots and some reason road in front of my house was moved my way into my lots by 15 feet , so I own half of the road . There is also a culvert pipe that runs under my lot to no where . County cannot figure it out either . I just get money off my taxes every year to compensate me 3 acres and a thousand dollars in taxes and then when hubby and i turned 65 we got a seniors tax relief .I also for some reason on tax bill it says I have a view lot . I do see cows pooping is that considered a view from my hill lot to Marty's farm :)
Unfortunately a view tax can be anything the regulators put down as one there should be a criteria list . but that can be a verey hard egg to crack.

The easement not where it supose to be happened to me years ago i fought, got no where needs of the many out weigh needs of the few bull s. Your close to coal country it very well could be abandoned, all i can say from hear say is there is a heavy duty beach ball that fits up to a 35 inch pipe that will plug up the line. though ive only heard about such a thing . and the dumbazz who poked the ball from inside the pipe . can anyone say shot out like a rag doll

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Pond update: I have decided to cancel my original plan for my front yard pond (beginning of thread) I realized as the snow melted that in order to have any slope from the bog to the pond i would need to have a grade slope down toward my foundation, which I would rather not do. Actually, I also realized the current landscaping slopes back towards the house which I am planning to change.

Below, is the current plan. Slightly raised bog with two small water falls back into the pond. At the end closest to the house will be either an intake bay or Helix skimmer. Leaning toward intake bay more to save any small critters that make their way to into the pond. Based off experience with my IG swimming pool and how any small animals end up in the skimmers with floating weir doors, I have ruled out the traditional pond skimmer for now. This location will get very few leaves. I mainly want a skimmer to keep the surface clear of debri and hide the pump.

My only concern at the moment is the main water line coming into my house from the road which is buried 5-6 feet. The pipes are copper and only about 15 years old. I know I could probably just build part of the pond over it and it would never be an issue, however, I would rather not just to be safe. I called 811 and will have the utility companies coming this week to mark all the various lines coming into the house. Hopefully, depending on the exact location of the water line I will still be able to stay within my 15x15 pond dimensions.

For electrical I am planning on using the post light wire and adding a receptacle box, with GFCI if doesnt already have one on the circuit.

2 bog waterfall.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i would have the closest end of the pond in the picture mimic the shape of the walk that wat it looks like the pond was always there and the walk was placed following it

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
i would have the closest end of the pond in the picture mimic the shape of the walk that wat it looks like the pond was always there and the walk was placed following it
That is what I was thinking! This is just a pond template in the program I am using, so will not be the exact shape most likely. Also was planning to make the deepest section along the walkway.

What do you think of the municipal water line and building over it? Bad idea or acceptable if part of the pond is over it?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i would lean toward being able to see the deep end from your sitting area is that from the house or is there to be a patio?

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
i would lean toward being able to see the deep end from your sitting area is that from the house or is there to be a patio?
Sitting area will be toward the middle far side of driveway. Was planning on that being deeper too. But, might make that be the focus of the deep section.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What do you think of the municipal water line and building over it? Bad idea or acceptable if part of the pond is over it?

How old is the current line? And will there still be a clear path to the house from the meter if you need to replace it in the future?

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
How old is the current line? And will there still be a clear path to the house from the meter if you need to replace it in the future?
current line is about 15 years old. There would still be a clear path. Where the line leaves the house it would miss my current layout for the pond but where the meter is it makes me think it goes at a slight angle toward the pond layout. It’s almost 150’ away so may be some “wiggle” room if it ever needed replacement?

It’s a good question though. What happens if the line fails? Do you replace the entire pipe? If so then I could probably go around the pond. I was thinking if it sprung a leak and needed to be dug up for repair, that would be an issue if The leak were under the pond. Now I am wondering if that’s even a valid concern? Do this happen with a copper waterline?

Ask a Question