Pond Design Feedback?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Then they sue you for having obstructions along the drive way . I'd place a sign out at the end of the driveway saying Stupid People Keep Out.
I think as long as it's on YOUR property, they can't sue. Hard to think any reasonable judge (yeah, I know, but since they're usually older, there's STILL some sense left; I pray for the next gen judicial, though!) would say; you ran into the rock, so it must be the homeowner's fault for putting it not on the driveway...:cautious::cool:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
geeze could you see the neighbors taking you down if you turned them in after your pond was flagged for saying you needed t tear it apart . Not sure I would want my neighbors that mad at me . . I our building department will flag you for everything to make money . I live in a very rural area . Have a neighbor who started with a carport , closed in and put a slab in it and went up one the pole and ran electric to it illegally .and now is stealing cable . but because they are mexican nothing is done . Told my utility company and she said show me proof . i set her a pic of the wires zip tied to the pole . Captioned said didn't know that you used zip ties now . 40 people live in it . They rent the house in front 700 sq ft and you never go by the house when the school bus is there . I counted 49 children getting on the school bus from that place .. I nice weather people sleep in hammocks outside . SAYS ALOT ABOUT MY COUNTY . THEY SUCK EGGS . Cow farm got fined across from me because they put up an electric fence with out permission . cost MARTY 5 THOUSAND DOLLARS IN FINES . Why because those same mexicans have 7 pitbulls that have attacked martys cows

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You don't get out much do you @brokensword. say you have a mail box on your front door and you have a history of NOT clearing de icing a path for the mail man they have every right to stop delivery and or if they slip and fall. they can go after you as well. Hell a home owner i did work for had stairs that were all 7" risers EXCEPT for the bottom step at 4 inches and a person fell and cracked there head open. they sued and won . Home owners insure is what thats all about

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
geeze could you see the neighbors taking you down if you turned them in after your pond was flagged for saying you needed t tear it apart . Not sure I would want my neighbors that mad at me . . I our building department will flag you for everything to make money . I live in a very rural area . Have a neighbor who started with a carport , closed in and put a slab in it and went up one the pole and ran electric to it illegally .and now is stealing cable . but because they are mexican nothing is done . Told my utility company and she said show me proof . i set her a pic of the wires zip tied to the pole . Captioned said didn't know that you used zip ties now . 40 people live in it . They rent the house in front 700 sq ft and you never go by the house when the school bus is there . I counted 49 children getting on the school bus from that place .. I nice weather people sleep in hammocks outside . SAYS ALOT ABOUT MY COUNTY . THEY SUCK EGGS . Cow farm got fined across from me because they put up an electric fence with out permission . cost MARTY 5 THOUSAND DOLLARS IN FINES . Why because those same mexicans have 7 pitbulls that have attacked martys cows
Simple solution....... SHOTGUN

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i HEAR YEAH @sissy a coworker who is mexican a hard worker and good dude. Wanted to buy his first house. I told him i'd help any way i could. He came to me with an address not far from me and asked me to come take a look. It was an old victorian with tons of issues which was fine he wanted a fixer upper . BUT paint was pealing everywhere AND I SAID TO HIM HE WAS JUST STARTING OUT WITH HIS FAMILY i told him he realy needed to get a lead base paint test as it and the dust was everywhere.i KJnew it was but . long story short his lawyer said it wa a waste of money to test for it. His kids within a year had lead paint poisoning as it was also in the soil around the house where the kids played. TWO OF THEM ENDED UP IN THE HOSPITAL dss took his kids. and the town got involved. next thing you know he got his roof, siding, windows, landscaping, and the entire home inside painted with a paint lock. FOR FREE because he was a minority AND HE OWES NOTHING. I'd say good for you and your family but i told him in the begining he could not move his family there and wala/

I also know a home like that i went on inspections with a building inspector decades ago. one home was the same suspected to many occupants. the old victorian was on the second floor waLL TO WALL MATRESSES, THE UPPER CABINETS HAD CHICKEN IN THEM AND A PIG IN THE LOWER CABINET. AT LEAST 15 CARS IN THE BACK .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thing is county told Marty if he shoots one of those dogs he will be charged with animal cruelty . . There is no leash law here but I have petitioned for a leash law to the county and animal control is on board with it now after I released my security camera video of those dogs on my property and I live almost a 1/4 mile from the house .They chased my stray cats and tried to get into the fence in my backyard to get my chihuahuas and i was out there with them . all caught on cameras . I have a 22 round carbine and those dogs took off . I made sure that I did not hit them , I just wanted to scare them . I did not give the county that video , I knew better . I did give them other ones of those dogs at my pond and chasing my cats and the damage they did to my property . They tried to use my wood pile to get over the fence . Since I have electrified my fence , that was just a couple of weeks ago . I had all my neighbors sign the petition .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
rock salt better yet a pump BB gun i use to shot my sons with one the bb's travel so slow you can see it but pump it a couple times and damn if it doesn't get your attention ........... so i have heard ........

teckpham

Teck
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I think as long as it's on YOUR property, they can't sue. Hard to think any reasonable judge (yeah, I know, but since they're usually older, there's STILL some sense left; I pray for the next gen judicial, though!) would say; you ran into the rock, so it must be the homeowner's fault for putting it not on the driveway...:cautious::cool:
That still doesn't stop them from sueing right?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That still doesn't stop them from sueing right?
the 'sad' fact is whatever you put on the easement doesn't belong to you anymore, but of course, it'll be your fault it was put there...you know, rules for thee but not for me kind of thing...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I deal with easements almost daily. The property is yours but within those limits you or who ever signed once upon a time agreed they would never build anything on that are without he written consent from the easement holder. A mailbox would make me believe that the landowner had the Written for a driveway. a MAIL BOX could be an issue for a gas line or anything buried as far as over head lines probably not. But people have sued there boss for mental anguish because they felt intimidated by there authority so who the heck knows today.

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I love a front yard pond, but you do want to make sure you pond includes a place to sit and enjoy it from the outside as well. Bigger porch? Small patio? Even just a small fieldstone or cement pad where you can put a pretty bench would ensure that you have a place to sit and relax.

I'd consider a stacked slate sphere or urn or even a bowl as the "headwater" for your stream. I think they make beautiful front yard water features. Plus it gives you height and something that people could see from the street and wonder about what else is going on up there! A bit more formal, but still brings the water... which is what we're all here for!

Check out this pond build from Atlantis - they use a sphere to start the waterfall:

Yes, normally I wouldnt be into a spillway such as these but in the front yard it does make sense and I def think it would grow on me. I am leaning toward a large bowl, if I can find one for less than ~$500 dollars Aquascape inc is selling them for. They make great videos but their products are way overpriced for what they are and its honestly starting to turn me off to them all together. I have even started to cringe when i hear their Aquascape Lifestyle catch phrase.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yes, normally I wouldnt be into a spillway such as these but in the front yard it does make sense and I def think it would grow on me. I am leaning toward a large bowl, if I can find one for less than ~$500 dollars Aquascape inc is selling them for. They make great videos but their products are way overpriced for what they are and its honestly starting to turn me off to them all together. I have even started to cringe when i hear their Aquascape Lifestyle catch phrase.
I don't know how you can say the products are overpriced when they are literally the only company that makes them. Without competing products, what are you evaluating their prices against? And not only do they make and sell them, they field test them in the hundreds of ponds they, and their CACs, build every year. We put a stacked slate sphere in our front yard two years ago and added a ton of impact for under $1500 and we know that it will last a lifetime.

And no, I don't work for Aquascape and they do sell products that I wouldn't buy - there are others who do it better in several areas of pond building. But for innovation and sheer creativity, you can't beat 'em.

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't know how you can say the products are overpriced when they are literally the only company that makes them. Without competing products, what are you evaluating their prices against? And not only do they make and sell them, they field test them in the hundreds of ponds they, and their CACs, build every year. We put a stacked slate sphere in our front yard two years ago and added a ton of impact for under $1500 and we know that it will last a lifetime.

And no, I don't work for Aquascape and they do sell products that I wouldn't buy - there are others who do it better in several areas of pond building. But for innovation and sheer creativity, you can't beat 'em.
Well, the products i have looked at purchasing from them, there are many much cheaper options out there. You can easily spend 1k on their bog system, when its something you can build for a fraction of that price. Their pump vault is twice as much as the competitors and I doubt it works any better. Their spillway bowl is $500 for basically a big plastic planter with a hole cut in the bottom. There are lots of companies that make a skimmer and bio falls for much more competitive prices. I wouldnt have a problem with buying any of these products, if i saw the value but when I can easily make or buy a competing product at a much lower price I cant justify paying the premium.

I will continue to support them when I watch their videos but I have yet to find one of their proprietary products as the only option and worth the price they are charging.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
OK - comparing them to DIY is hardly fair. Obviously you can build just about anything yourself cheaper if you're handy and willing to try. Will it last as long? No clue. Who's pump vault are you comparing them to? They may be more expensive, but I don't think they're twice as much.

And I can guarantee you that the spillway bowls are more durable than a "big plastic planter". If other companies are making those, or stacked slate urns and spheres for that matter, I haven't seen them.

My utmost thanks though goes to Aquascape for being a leader in the field. They were the first to introduce products to the pond market like skimmers and pump vaults - who knows where we'd be right now without their innovation and dedication to the art of pond building?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ya’ll have some interesting opinions about Mexican people. And on a thread about pond design feedback…

Ask a Question