Pond Design Feedback?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you lived in an area where the water was corrosive and ate the copper pipes you would probably know as it's usually very well known in those areas. so if the line is 15 years old the average is 50 years if not double that. If your worried about it maybe the solution is to put a new pipe off tp the side of the pond as you build it IF your going that deep. .

i WOULD THINK ABOUT A LONGER POND it would be cool if they saw you pull in and swam to greet you as you stepped out of the car.... The wife even stops doing that over the years the fish will do it for ever . lol

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If you lived in an area where the water was corrosive and ate the copper pipes you would probably know as it's usually very well known in those areas. so if the line is 15 years old the average is 50 years if not double that. If your worried about it maybe the solution is to put a new pipe off tp the side of the pond as you build it IF your going that deep. .

i WOULD THINK ABOUT A LONGER POND it would be cool if they saw you pull in and swam to greet you as you stepped out of the car.... The wife even stops doing that over the years the fish will do it for ever . lol
No issues I am aware of with pipes being corrosive. Just watched some youtube videos about water main pipes from house to street connection and there is a lot more bend in the line than I thought. If I ever needed to run a new line it would be easy to just slightly go around the pond. Where it comes into my basement its at least 5' below grade and with a plan to go around 3ft not to concerned about hitting it. Of course still need to be careful especially with heavy machinery.

As of now I was thinking about 15x15 and the bog adding another 5' so 15x20. I have also been contemplating 10x20 or 10x25 with the bog. That would give me more length and more room for the fish to "stretch their legs". Kids are getting older, before you know it might only be the dog and the fish that get excited when i pull in the driveway...:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
current line is about 15 years old. There would still be a clear path. Where the line leaves the house it would miss my current layout for the pond but where the meter is it makes me think it goes at a slight angle toward the pond layout. It’s almost 150’ away so may be some “wiggle” room if it ever needed replacement?

It’s a good question though. What happens if the line fails? Do you replace the entire pipe? If so then I could probably go around the pond. I was thinking if it sprung a leak and needed to be dug up for repair, that would be an issue if The leak were under the pond. Now I am wondering if that’s even a valid concern? Do this happen with a copper waterline?

Copper, like all materials will break down in time. Depends a lot on municipal water chemistry. You should have many decades of life left in a 15 year old copper line, though.

As for replacement vs. repair, usually depends on several factors: Can you easily locate the leak for repair? Is the pipe at end of expected lifespan?

Likelihood of a leak under the pond vs anywhere else in the line? Probably low. Most leaks happen at a fitting.

As long as you still have a clear path from the meter to the point of entry to your home, I’d say no big deal.

And even if you did have a leak under the pond and wanted to repair, you could abandon that section of pipe and would only have trench in the new section.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
ids are getting older, before you know it might only be the dog and the fish that get excited when i pull in the driveway...:D
guaranteed on both of those. yes they generally use flex copper lines to feed your home not ridgid .

Ask a Question