Pond Design Feedback?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I many follow up my call with an email so I its documented i tried to contact them and they never responded.

call me skeptic, but I doubt this 'evidence' is going to work in your favor should there actually BE some sort of law paramters in place already. Not that I don't applaud the idea, but governments aren't known for charity, even if you do make all the effort to try. Like when a bank transfers money into your account that you didn't put there; in the long run, they're gonna ask for it back and you don't have much to say about it, esp if you've gone and spent it, hey?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
first is dig safe and second is what does your county require for safety and laws . I see waterlines and septic but not electric . Our laws and I live in the country have changed and do not allow ponds to be placed in front part of house and say you need safety features , but mine is grandfathered in since the law was just introduced this year . Can't understand that stupid law when most of the county is bigger lots . most lots are from 3 acres to 100 or more acres . I guess it is mostly because of new developments near town or what they call city zones . We have lots of farm ponds on lots here also
I believe if the pond is less the 18 inches most towns will not require SECURITY measures/a fence or as i call it selective breeding measures

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
call me skeptic, but I doubt this 'evidence' is going to work in your favor should there actually BE some sort of law paramters in place already. Not that I don't applaud the idea, but governments aren't known for charity, even if you do make all the effort to try. Like when a bank transfers money into your account that you didn't put there; in the long run, they're gonna ask for it back and you don't have much to say about it, esp if you've gone and spent it, hey?
Yeah, probably works better in the business world than gov't for sure! I have read through the town's zoning rules and the only thing pertaining to any body of water is swimming pools. Here is the definition:

SWIMMING POOL A receptacle for water, having a depth at any point greater than two feet and holding more than 100 gallons of water, designed to be used for swimming and constructed, installed and maintained above or below the ground. A swimming pool is a structure for the purposes of this chapter.

So, based on this and the phrase "used for swimming" I have tentatively decided to move forward with my plan to build in the front. If I can't get them to return my cal,l I may just need to show up at their office. Honestly, I could probably get away with it and no one would every say anything, but should probably push harder to make sure its allowed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yeah, probably works better in the business world than gov't for sure! I have read through the town's zoning rules and the only thing pertaining to any body of water is swimming pools. Here is the definition:

SWIMMING POOL A receptacle for water, having a depth at any point greater than two feet and holding more than 100 gallons of water, designed to be used for swimming and constructed, installed and maintained above or below the ground. A swimming pool is a structure for the purposes of this chapter.

So, based on this and the phrase "used for swimming" I have tentatively decided to move forward with my plan to build in the front. If I can't get them to return my cal,l I may just need to show up at their office. Honestly, I could probably get away with it and no one would every say anything, but should probably push harder to make sure its allowed.
I think based on your other posts saying your neighbors have front side ponds, you're okay. Were it me (and I didn't even call MY township offices before starting) I'd not worry, not show up at their offices, and not push it. If they fine/make you take it down, you can point to the other ponds and ask if they do too. That said, IF there's any sort of accident, I can't say you won't be legally liable in some way, ya know? And I'm not wishing anyting on you nor trying to discourage--the opposite, actually. It would probably be neighbors that might try and get the city to stop you so if they're in on their own bit of 'illegal', I think you're safe.

The ONLY issue I could see is if they have some sort of 'water = so deep and has to be fenced' type deal (as it was in MY city). Like a pool. Got any lawyer friends out there to run the idea past? Just for peace of mind?

Again, NOT discouraging, just helping to dot i's and cross t's.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would just make sure i had the pond well illuminated so if the mail man is is a hurry they don't take the shortest route and step in the pond. Frig the bureaucrats.You have record of trying to call and asking here

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've long lived by the credo "It's often better to ask forgiveness than permission". Once you open the door to their opinion they will say no, and most likely it will be only their opinion. They don't want to be the one that said yes to something that later proves to be problematic.

Example - we have natural ponds in our neighborhood. They've been used for ice skating in the winter for more than 30 years. One new person moves in to the neighborhood, decides we need to ask our insurance company if it's OK (the dreaded HOA) and of course, they say no. So now we've been put on notice that it's a problem, the insurance company excludes the risk and what never WAS a problem becomes a BIG problem. Now we need signs that no one reads. And the neighbors fight non-stop about allowing kids on the ice. We even had one "concerned parent" toss bricks out on the frozen pond to keep it from being attractive to skaters - VERY SAFE DUDE.

Some things are best left alone.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
A child can drown in 6 inch's of water so lots of towns like here are not allowing ponds on developments in front yards and in back yards they need fenced in . And also HOA'S are getting stricter . You may be subject to fines and be made to take them out . My brother lives in Flat Rock , Mich . and he just had a small preformed and had to take it out by his front porch . He also got a fine of over1 00 dollars

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've long lived by the credo "It's often better to ask forgiveness than permission". Once you open the door to their opinion they will say no, and most likely it will be only their opinion. They don't want to be the one that said yes to something that later proves to be problematic.

Example - we have natural ponds in our neighborhood. They've been used for ice skating in the winter for more than 30 years. One new person moves in to the neighborhood, decides we need to ask our insurance company if it's OK (the dreaded HOA) and of course, they say no. So now we've been put on notice that it's a problem, the insurance company excludes the risk and what never WAS a problem becomes a BIG problem. Now we need signs that no one reads. And the neighbors fight non-stop about allowing kids on the ice. We even had one "concerned parent" toss bricks out on the frozen pond to keep it from being attractive to skaters - VERY SAFE DUDE.

Well, this tends to be my motto too but I finally was able to ge a hold of one of the building inspectors and they said what I am planning on building would just be considered "landscaping" so sounds like I am good to go. FYI @GBBUDD, @brokensword, @sissy
I would just make sure i had the pond well illuminated so if the mail man is is a hurry they don't take the shortest route and step in the pond. Frig the bureaucrats.You have record of trying to call and asking here
haha, I didnt think of that. Yes, planning on it being well lit. More, worried about the mailman backing up into it, since it seems he is unable to back out of my driveway and does a 20point K turn every time he pulls in.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That sounds utterly pathetic. I'm sorry if you can't back up a car YOU SHOULD NOT BE DRIVING A CAR PERIOD

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've long lived by the credo "It's often better to ask forgiveness than permission
amen to that PLUS i have just a little problem with someone telling me what i can and can't do to my property Within reason of course

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That sounds utterly pathetic. I'm sorry if you can't back up a car YOU SHOULD NOT BE DRIVING A CAR PERIOD
I am able to back my truck and a camper down it so dont know why its so hard to back one of those little mail trucks up. It is something to think about though. Might need to add another boulder, to the list so my mail doesnt end up getting wet...:LOL:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

We have gone over CONDOS and HOA'S BEFORE and unfortunately our government is pretty much the same. it has nothing to do with your credentials as much as it is being personable. Look at 90% of the morons out there. All to often particularly with condos you have a florist or a store clerk or even someone who was a at home care giver all there life who is now running the construction or grounds for the complex....... great idea.... We have become a nation of whimps we can't have a natural body of water in the area someone may drown. i say if they don't know how to swim and they go out on a frozen pond you take a risk. We do so with driving walking down the road. why is it such a big deal

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am able to back my truck and a camper down it so dont know why its so hard to back one of those little mail trucks up. It is something to think about though. Might need to add another boulder, to the list so my mail doesnt end up getting wet...:LOL:
Then they sue you for having obstructions along the drive way . I'd place a sign out at the end of the driveway saying Stupid People Keep Out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well, this tends to be my motto too but I finally was able to ge a hold of one of the building inspectors and they said what I am planning on building would just be considered "landscaping" so sounds like I am good to go. FYI @GBBUDD, @brokensword, @sissy

haha, I didnt think of that. Yes, planning on it being well lit. More, worried about the mailman backing up into it, since it seems he is unable to back out of my driveway and does a 20point K turn every time he pulls in.
makes me wonder if the mail actually gets in the box/slot or if you find pieces scattered all over your porch!! Sheesh! :cool::p:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
oh, very good idea! Make it just lower than the mail truck's bumper, you know, so YOU get some entertainment out of all this. I was going to say; and it'll only happen once, but well, we're talking government here...so...ymmv :D:cool:

Ask a Question