Pond expansion.

FountainMan

Dihydrogen Monoxide-scaping.
Reaction score
Looking at the Rototillers. I like that. I can save a bit for that. Anything to make the job easier.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can rent them cheap enough and usually if you rent them on saturday you get a free day because most rental places are closed on sunday

FountainMan

Reaction score
I want to buy. Renting equipment can be a PITA plus the responsibility of someone else's equipment.

I'm looking at an Earthwise electric rototiller. For 120$ not a bad price and it has tons of positive feedback from users.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
electric does not have as much power or weight .I rented one from a rental company and it was easy and cheap .

FountainMan

Reaction score
electric does not have as much power or weight .I rented one from a rental company and it was easy and cheap .
But we only have cars. No means of lugging a bulky machine home.

Also, should something happen to it. I'd be responsible. Besides that, I don't know how long it will take me to go deep. If they charge per day I might as well have bought one myself.

The electric I'm looking at has over 2100 reviews at 4.5 stars. That's good enough for me. If I have to wet downthe soil I can do that.

Acorn Ponds & Waterfalls

Ponds Done Right, Customers Served Right
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Depending on how difficult the digging goes, you may want to rent a jack hammer(should fit in your car) with a spade bit. When we dig garden ponds here in Rochester NY, the top foot is relatively easy and the last 12" can be brutal work if there is clay.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yeh I had rented a digger and stupid people who had both the small ones decided to keep them longer and with snow coming I had no choice but to do it myself shovel and pick axe and even an axe .I wanted the sides smooth so an axe was the best tool .We only have one rental company here and they deliver for free . But of course if anything can go wrong it will .True jack hammers are easy to transport and easy to use except for the sore muscles after you use it .I used one when we did the front porch and gosh my shoulders and back hurt for days .I felt like my teeth were being rattled out of my mouth also .Make sure they show you how to use it properly .They showed me and it was easier as long as you kept it close to your body and let it do the work .They also have different sized ones .

Acorn Ponds & Waterfalls

Ponds Done Right, Customers Served Right
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
yeh I had rented a digger and stupid people who had both the small ones decided to keep them longer and with snow coming I had no choice but to do it myself shovel and pick axe and even an axe .I wanted the sides smooth so an axe was the best tool .We only have one rental company here and they deliver for free . But of course if anything can go wrong it will .True jack hammers are easy to transport and easy to use except for the sore muscles after you use it .I used one when we did the front porch and gosh my shoulders and back hurt for days .I felt like my teeth were being rattled out of my mouth also .Make sure they show you how to use it properly .They showed me and it was easier as long as you kept it close to your body and let it do the work .They also have different sized ones .

Good points Sissy, it is a good idea to wear goggles, hearing protection, back belt and teeth protectors (we don't want anyone's teeth rattling out) as well! The bigger the machine, the heavier and harder they are to lift but the faster the work will get done but use whatever is comfortable and please take photos to share on Gardenpondforum.com !

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got a lighter weight one and it did a great job on the heavy clay and shale here .Easier to handle also .Rent a day was only 15 dollars .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
With out our kubota tractor, we would not have a pond. So many rocks I would never have dug it by hand, even with power tools.

FountainMan

Reaction score
The digging a little more than a month away, I'm running water over the dig site to soften the soil for the tiller. Doing this for about a month to help the water penitrate the soil.

rps20151018_130631.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
WOW that soil looks compacted .I was lucky the area i had to dig my pond into was some backfill dirt but after I hit 3 feet it was solid shale and needed more work than ever to break it up .Good Luck

FountainMan

Reaction score
So here's the plan. I'm looking to save for the liner before buying the rototiller. The liner is going to be the most expensive component and I don't want to dig and leave a big gaping hole in the yard until the liner is purchased. I estimate that I'll need a 30' x 30' liner. 560$ is going to take a bit of saving. Once I have the liner I can get the rototiller and dig.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
great thing about that is when you buy it before the season starts you can get great sale price .I got mine last year in March and free shipping 20x30 247 dollars and it actually was bigger than I ordered .It was on sale at dr foster and smith and they really helped me figure out the right size .They shipped it same week I ordered it and there were snowstorms there .Ordered it on monday got it friday

Ask a Question