Pond Filter Diagram. Will it work?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The pond will have koi, around 8. Also the bog plants need nitrates, this setup has aerobic bacteria media so they will remove ammonia and nitrite but do little to remove nitrates, which the bog plants will help to keep down, to a degree. At least this is the theory. Also the bog isn't your classic bog filter, it's more or less a relatively thin layer of gravel, only deep enough for some iris and a few other plants to grow. The gravel sits atop an egg crate or similar mesh (thicker gravel first to prevent smaller gravel falling through the grate) to keep it raised and beneath the gravel shelf is an empty area of water with a drain. I designed it that way to be easily cleaned and prevent anaerobic muck build up, as happens in thick gravel bed bogs. Again, this is all theory.
I build both types of the standard bogs are concerned one is a foot and a half of pea stone. with the water pumped to the bottom of such through perforated 2 inch pipe.
the second bog has the aquablocks and snorkel and centipede with a 6 foot deep bog starting with small volleyball sized rock around the snorkel. then a layer of aquablocks. and1 foot of 1-2 inch stone over the aquablocks with another foot of 3/4 and pea stone. All I can say is there is only a basket strainer on the pump, and if I cloud up the pond where I can't see any fish what so ever. Without fail come morning the pond is crystal clear.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know this isn’t answering your question but since you are in the planning stage you might reconsider the size of your pond if are hard fast on keeping 8 to 10 koi in1850 gallons (7000L) pond of water. I think that is the pond size you mentioned in another post. The bioload will could overwhelm the system as they mature and reproduce.
Stephen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I might end up feeding the skimmer directly to the bog via pump, haven't decided yet. I have a small spare pump, but it's only 3k LPH. Not sure if that matters with the 10 or 12k LPH that will be going through the filter.

Stephen, the diagram I was working on listed 8700 Litres, although we're upping the size of the pond now to 8X12 feet, closer to 12000 liters or around 2600 gallons. That doesn't include the volume of water inside the bog, which may add another 1500 liters. Still not huge, but hopefully it can take 10 Koi.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I might end up feeding the skimmer directly to the bog via pump, haven't decided yet. I have a small spare pump, but it's only 3k LPH. Not sure if that matters with the 10 or 12k LPH that will be going through the filter.

Stephen, the diagram I was working on listed 8700 Litres, although we're upping the size of the pond now to 8X12 feet, closer to 12000 liters or around 2600 gallons. That doesn't include the volume of water inside the bog, which may add another 1500 liters. Still not huge, but hopefully it can take 10 Koi.
Beautiful! My bad. I was mistaken from one of your other posts. Sounds like a fun project.
Stephen

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

I am a firm believer in over sizing filtration. slow down your filter water speed from your dyi filters and I am sure they will work at the optimum. they are designed to remove organics. And on the bog have a second pump pushing slowly unfiltered water. I would be willing to bet between the natural boi filter the bog and a mechanical filter all would be good

Ask a Question