Pond Filter

Reaction score
What do you think of this set up? With a 1500 gallon pond, a 3,500 gph pump and a 25ft stream from the biofall filter to the pond, I have folded over a piece of window screen near the end of the stream to work as a filter. It is filtering 3,500 gph. I have to remove the screen and hose it off in the morning and evening. Each time it is loaded with alge and gunk.

Reaction score
How does it look aesthetcally? Seems a shame to have a beutifull 25 ft waterfall only to terminate in a window screen............There is finer filter material out there (quilt batting etc) that will catch more material. Might I suggest a pre-filter between the pum and bio-falls?

Reaction score
ncOgnetO: You are right the screen is a hindrance to the aesthets of the stream. Your suggestion for a filter between the pond and the bio is something I will look into. The reasion I used the screen was to catch leaves, debris and algae (the stream develops algae) before they enter the pond. Maybe I can construct a more pleasing appearing stream filter using quilt batting as you suggested. I'll have to work on that. I am also considereing a skippy filter but I still would like to filter the water coming from the stream before it inters the pond. That would be filtering 3,500 gph. Filtering the pond water is a work in progress. This is my second ponding year. I have learned alot from this forum.

Reaction score
I would suggest something more akin to the pond pump going into the skippy filter then to the waterfall wier. As the skippy would eventually cycle and do more than an adequate job with the ammonia and nitrites, you could then use the bio falls wier to polish the water when/as needed with a material like quilt batting. i don't see any need then to need additional filtration at the point where the stream enters the pond, unless I am missing something.

Reaction score
nc0gnet0: The point of the skippy keep coming back and your point about it doing an adequate job with the ammonia and nitrites is well taken. But I still would like to catch the gunk going down the stream. As I have read on this forum, you can never have too much filtration.. By Spring I may have it all sorted out.

Ask a Question