Pond Fish, What do I need?

Reaction score
I am in the process of debating whether r not I want to add fish to my garden pond. I am looking for information as to what type of heater to get and aeration and etc. The pond I have is about 150 gallons. I have not bought anything yet for my pond, as I have just drained it. It will be getting filled and cleaned throughout this week. All suggestions on this subject is much appreciated.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Welcome!
150g is very small, so the only fish I'd consider are goldfish or other small fish.
Don't scrub your pond clean as it will kill the beneficial bacteria living there. You'll need to have a biofilter unless you have a lot of plants.
Can you post some pics of your pond and setup?

Reaction score
I have a TetraPond SF1 Submersible Flat Box Filter with fountain. I also have barley straw bales for my pond in addition to algae control and sludge blocks. I received all of this stuff when my husbands grandmother passed away. She never used it because she just filled it with water and really did not do much else with it. In addition to that stuff, being an avid fish hobbyist I also have aeration pumps and diffusers and airstones. I do not have a heater yet, or winterizing stuff. I do have pond netting as that was left over from my last outdoor garden pond.

I am going to be powerwashing it to some extent as there is so much sludge and crap in the bottom of it and on my river rocks, that I cannot stand it. Like I said grandma never really did much with it.

The fish that I would consider putting in there would be mosquito fish as that is a must being that I live within a mile of several lakes, creeks, streams, ponds, rivers. Water surrounds me. In addition, I was thinking of some small goldfish.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Barley straw doesn't work. I don't recommend algae control either as your pond should be able to control it naturally and algae removes ammonia. If you are an avid fish hobbyist then you will know that you'll need a biofilter and the Tetra SF1 is a mechanical filter for suspended solids. The air pumps will be great, perhaps you can make a DIY moving bed filter for your pond. Mosquito fish and gf will work.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you get gf, just get a few, they do multiply.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think for that small of a pond and back in the N.E you will need a de-icer of some sort or bring the fish indoors. Some here use floating de-icer's to keep a hole open in the ice.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome! And remember that little goldfish grow into LARGE goldfish. When I had my preformed 165 gallon pond I kept goldfish and brought them indoors for the winter. Kept them in a rubbermaid water trough like you use for horses or cattle.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I know that you inherited this pond, but that is pretty small, esp. if you want fish. Assuming it's a preform.....? Have you considered going larger? It's not a necessity, but in many ways, larger is less work (esp. maybe not having to move them indoors), and it's easier to keep a larger body of water "balanced," as I'm sure you know, being a fish hobbiest. Most of us here have LEARNED that ponding is an addiction -- not joking, either -- and as soon as you get that first pond up & running, you're ready to expand, LOL!

Goldfish would take care of mosquito larvae quite well, but they do grow and they do reproduce. Not familiar with mosquito fish, but if this is going to be mainly a garden pond, they might be a good choice over GF as they would stay smaller.

When you get everything up & running, be sure to post pictures -- we all love to see pond pics!

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I think for that small of a pond and back in the N.E you will need a de-icer of some sort or bring the fish indoors. Some here use floating de-icer's to keep a hole open in the ice.
j.w. don't do this to us! We have enough nightmares already!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You talking about my new avatar photo I just had taken at the professional portrait studio John?
I'll have you know I spent big bucks beautifying myself up for that one :p

Reaction score
I recommend 3 fish, pump, and filter. If it is a long hard Winter you should consider bringing the fish in for it.

I would be able to house three fish over the winter as I have an aquarium to suit them. It's funny you suggested three as that was really my limit. I will most likely add plants as they will help reduce nitrites and nitrates from fish waste if I go that route. So many decisions to make. I hate making decisions. I love fish so much that it is hard for me to not have them in a body of water. (y)

Reaction score
Your pond is too small, so i suggest that only 1 koi is enough and do not overfeed your fish.
For filters and aerator, biofilters are the best but you need to check your pond time to time for algae growth, ammonia and nitrate composition, green water etc.

Ask a Question