sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well I can't under stand it either because to me the cows mooing drown out the frogs and those suckers moo all night and I sometimes wonder when they sleep .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Next time your neighbors complain about the frogs sissy, ask them why the cow's mooing all night doesn't bother them? If they are their cows then mention, boy they sure have been loud lately, must have been a population explosion or something. Maybe they could transfer them to another county,lol!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I took that last 2 buckets of tadpoles over to the other house and we took them down to Bedford lake and dumped them .I guess to them beef taste better than frog legs .

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you are not used to it and then suddenly start hearing all this noise it would be distracting at first but would eventually become white noise for you, sort of like people that live next to railroad tracks it doesn't bother them at all.

Speaking of whip-poor-wils that is one noisy a$$ bird. I am an animal lover but my gosh we were backpacking in the red river gorge this summer, set up tent were enjoying the nice peace and quiet. Then as the sun went down this bird started his call, went on all night, I did not get any sleep that night.

Here is their sound for those of you who may not know it:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My first house I bought was across from train tracks and it was the Metro that was near the Iselin train station in NJ and after a while you really don't notice ,plus now they use the cushion tracks .We have lots of whip poor wils here

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Todd, if that's the sound of a whippoorwill where you live, it's a different variety than where I live! The ones around here actually sound like they are saying Whip-Or-WILL with the last "syllable" loudest! I, sadly, almost never hear them where I live. No reason, can't figure it out as I'm sure I see them fly up from the edge of the roads in the evening, but I never hear their song. Maybe the birds I see are different than a whippoorwill. Where I used to live, they were heard every night.

Does anyone else hear a different bird they call the whippoorwill than the one in Todd's soundtrack? Just wondering if there really are different varieties in other states. :)

Reaction score
Country,

I think that you are used to the same "whip-poor-wil" song that I hear around my area here in Nebraska. It sounds like this:

There are many varieties of these nocturnal, ground dwelling (ground nesting) birds. They are very reclusive and you won't hear them if there are too many people encroaching into their space, habitat.

You get three or four of these fellas singing at night and you won't be able to sleep. They are LOUD!

Gordy

Reaction score
I really could never figure out what owls were making these sounds at my cabin. It sounded like an African Jungle! Here they are:

Supposed to be Barred Owls. Not Barn owls, but Barred owls.

Gordy

Reaction score
But, I usually hear these sounds...

I have finally been able to immitate them very well...

Let me mimmick them for you....

Here goes..

"Whhooo.... whooo... Whoooo? Whoo cooks for yooooouuu?"

LOL! :)

Pretty good, huh? Watch the video again and tell me if I have it right.

Gordy

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
between the bugs, frogs, birds, we have non stop noise from the woods during the warm times. To me it is a relaxing sleep noise. Right now it is so quiet, off and on hear a owl hoot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Gordy, yes, that is the whippoorwill I hear around here ... when I get the chance. Not sure why they rarely talk at night by my house, though, since there is no action on the road at night at all, just me and my neighbor, and when we get home, we stay home!
Those Barred Owls sound like what I "thought" were Great Horned Owls around here, so obviously it looks like I'm wrong, unless they sound the same. Now, a screech owl is cool to hear and eery in the middle of the night, especially if you are in the woods! Used to go on coon hunts with my former father in law many years ago, and a screech owl was not happy we were in his/her territory. I thought it was a child screaming! Found one in our barn once, couldn't figure out to go down to to the door to get out. Thought it was a baby great horned owl, as they look like miniature horned owls. I helped it figure out where the doors were. :)
I, too, love the nature sounds, even if they are loud.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Not a sound around here at night in the winter except for the occasional coyote but seems even they are dwindling. Guess if I want to hear all the animals I will have to put out a cd playing all night under our window. Wonder how the neighbors would take that or hubby for that matter.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Todd, the video you posted is not the call of the whip-poor-will, but that of a close relative, the chuck-wills-widdow. John

Ask a Question