Pond heater

Reaction score
Country
United States
First, wasn't sure where to post this, so if it doesn't belong here sorry!

I'm going to be purchasing a stock tank soon for a quarantine and to also grow and/or keep plants over the winter.

Thing is I want it in our garage. Problem is that it's not insulated and It is cold in the winter. Is there a affordable heater that can raise temp sufficient enough to grow plants and quarantine fish if I need to in the winter.

Sorry if this is the wrong area!

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada

I'm going to be purchasing a stock tank soon for a quarantine and to also grow and/or keep plants over the winter.

Thing is I want it in our garage. Problem is that it's not insulated and It is cold in the winter. Is there a affordable heater that can raise temp sufficient enough to grow plants and quarantine fish if I need to in the winter.

Why not simply insulate the garage? My garage is fully insulated and Perrier doesn't freeze out there in the middle of February (Location : North of Toronto).

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I would think cost may be an issue morewater. Wouldn't insulating a full garage cost much more than purchasing a pond heater?

Sure. However, I like to fix problems, not just patch them. Keep in mind that this poster wants to "heat" the water, not just keep a hole in the potential ice. This water heater would need to run 24/7 to maintain a constant water temperature in an uninsulated space.

Add up the hydro costs over the years, then check out the cost of insulation, plastic vapor barrier and staples.

What's that old adage?, "Pay me now or pay me later".

It's just like people with pumps. "Hey, I can get a sump pump really cheap, why should I buy a dedicated pond pump?" They run it for a year and it croaks. Then they buy another sump pump, and it croaks. Then they buy a dedicated pond pump. Result? It just cost more money than having bought a dedicated pond pump in the first place.

Reaction score
Sure. However, I like to fix problems, not just patch them. Keep in mind that this poster wants to "heat" the water, not just keep a hole in the potential ice. This water heater would need to run 24/7 to maintain a constant water temperature in an uninsulated space.

Add up the hydro costs over the years, then check out the cost of insulation, plastic vapor barrier and staples.

What's that old adage?, "Pay me now or pay me later".

It's just like people with pumps. "Hey, I can get a sump pump really cheap, why should I buy a dedicated pond pump?" They run it for a year and it croaks. Then they buy another sump pump, and it croaks. Then they buy a dedicated pond pump. Result? It just cost more money than having bought a dedicated pond pump in the first place.
Makes sense, but insulating the garage is only a half measure. A better more permanent solution would be to move to a warmer climate and simply set up the tank outside. ;)

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States

How many gallons is the tank ? You can get heaters with a temp range of 68 to 85 F that are stat controlled for 75 to 350 gallons. Now I made my own heater for my 1200 & 3500 gallon stock tank system in my turtle rescue with a kit for a hot tub system. If you go with aquarium typ heater I recommend a titanium one preferably a tube/controller combo type. Here is a link for a decent model that can heat up to 265 gallons @ 68 - 92 F for $65.00
http://premiumaquatics.com/products...eJqwSEN5CR66pEl5nKK4z_U654pc1QlFHYaAvgY8P8HAQ

Last edited:

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Why not simply insulate the garage? My garage is fully insulated and Perrier doesn't freeze out there in the middle of February (Location : North of Toronto).
That is because Perrier is imported from krypton... or is it France ? eh what's the difference. I completely forgot how this relevant or makes any sense but I am posting it anyway

Reaction score
Country
United States

That'd be ideally but the cost and labor is just way to high. That's Our garage doesn't have a normal flat ceiling. It's fully open to the framing of the roof (50's house) with a remodel.

How many gallons is the tank ? You can get heaters with a temp range of 68 to 85 F that are stat controlled for 75 to 350 gallons. Now I made my own heater for my 1200 & 3500 gallon stock tank system in my turtle rescue with a kit for a hot tub system. If you go with aquarium typ heater I recommend a titanium one preferably a tube/controller combo type. Here is a link for a decent model that can heat up to 265 gallons @ 68 - 92 F for $65.00
http://premiumaquatics.com/products...eJqwSEN5CR66pEl5nKK4z_U654pc1QlFHYaAvgY8P8HAQ

That's actually perfect. Thank you!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Makes sense, but insulating the garage is only a half measure. A better more permanent solution would be to move to a warmer climate and simply set up the tank outside. ;)

I love oregon tho! Summers are great and winters arentnthat bad. Though Southern California winters are nice. Ideally Hawaii would be amazing but I feel it would be extremely expensive to liver there lol

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
That'd be ideally but the cost and labor is just way to high. That's Our garage doesn't have a normal flat ceiling. It's fully open to the framing of the roof (50's house) with a remodel.

That's actually perfect. Thank you!
Another idea that may be helpful at keeping it heated and reducing workload on the heater is insulating only the stock tank. This can be done easily with fiberglass insulation that can wrap around the tank followed by some sort of band to hold it in place or a plastic material wrapped over the FG insulation.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Another idea that may be helpful at keeping it heated and reducing workload on the heater is insulating only the stock tank. This can be done easily with fiberglass insulation that can wrap around the tank followed by some sort of band to hold it in place or a plastic material wrapped over the FG insulation.

That's another thing that will happen eventually too. In a perfect world Id have it in a insulated garage in a tank that's also insulated with enough space for 2 300 gallon tanks with heaters so in the winter it never goes below 68F but space is rather small so im thinking a 100-150 gallon tank will do for right now. Plus want to keep cost down so I can rebuild my pond in the spring as big as I can!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Aquarium heaters are designed to heat water above the ambient temperature of your home. That heater is unlikely to keep the temperature at 68 - 92 F. in an unheated, uninsulated garage in the middle of winter.
John

Ask a Question