addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol I really should I keep saying that but .....................I have not really changed anything in many years it just keeps functioning just fine.

Reaction score
Country
United States
After my husband passed, I left my pond in Arizona to move to Maryland to marry one wonderful guy.

We have a great wooded / grass lot, but very sloped, hard to mow. A ton of shale just inches below what little dirt we have, which is also maryland clay. It is hard to even dig a hole for a plant. My honey watched and helped me dig holes to attempt to put in plants. He decided this ex workaholic / early retired new wife needed something to keep busy with and out of trouble.

So! For our first anniversary pressie he bought me a kubota. Needless to say I have been digging every since.

The utility trench was dug on 4/21, two months later slowly getting there.

Here are some of the beginning shots. The yard before being attacked by the tractor, and of course the planning drawing. The dotted line is the utility trench.

More progress to come and of course photos.
Belated CONGRATULATIONS on your anniversary!

He gave you a Kubota? Now THAT is true love.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Better than anything else! I use the Kubota a lot, he has never driven it, it is MINE!
I've loved looking through the posts about your ponds/yard. I've finished at 57. any chance you could post new photos of all of your ponds, bog, yard.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I will start adding some. This is the best way to see the ponds, winter, ow all hidden in the plant growth

9_LI.jpg
9.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
the herons love it here, they have learned how to crawl under the net. Now secured tighter
20211115_151837.jpg
20211115_151905.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Plants more plants and more plants, no green water minimal string.

This is two of three small ponds, full of plants, first one is a lily, water willow and anacharis, second one lotus, third one water willow and other stuff, parrots feather, etc. Great plant filters.
20220615_112923.jpg
20220615_113018.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@addy1 A quick question, I hope... Did you use a layer of geotextile over the liner to protect it from rocks on both horizontal and vertical surfaces? I took a breeze through here and didn't see anything specific. I'm trying to decide how much geotextile I need to order. Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Rocks even if nice and smooth when you place them particularly river rock of any size can split in half like it was done by a sword. If you'll be going in stepping on the liner unless it's concrete of you have great soil it's insurance I'd not do without

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Rocks even if nice and smooth when you place them particularly river rock of any size can split in half like it was done by a sword. If you'll be going in stepping on the liner unless it's concrete of you have great soil it's insurance I'd not do without
That's what I figured. but never hurts to ask. :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@addy1 A quick question, I hope... Did you use a layer of geotextile over the liner to protect it from rocks on both horizontal and vertical surfaces? I took a breeze through here and didn't see anything specific. I'm trying to decide how much geotextile I need to order. Thanks!
I used carpet pad under the liner. No way to smooth out all the rocks in our dirt. I don't have rocks in the pond. I put scraps of liner under any rocks on the edges and in the steam.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Thailand
Better than anything else! I use the Kubota a lot, he has never driven it, it is MINE!
Hi Addy,

And there I was thinking that husbands gave such presents to their wives as an excuse to 'play' with it themselves... You're a lucky girl!

But what an amazing project this is. This is not ponding. This is not even gardening. This is called landscaping. And at a whole new level I may add. Well done. I take of my hat for you!

Joey

Ask a Question