pond in progress started 4/21/10

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I thought it looked like Bee Balm, but I didn't know it came in blue. Thanks.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I thought it looked like Bee Balm, but I didn't know it came in blue. Thanks.
All the bees/ native bees/ bugs/ moths/ butterflies love it.
The flowers are purple / lilac I put out seed about 4 years ago and they come back every year. I now harvest seed and toss it other places.
Wild bergamot They came in a wildflower seed mix I bought for the bees.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have a very sunny part of a side yard that I am thinking about turning into a 'wild' flower garden for the bees and butterflies. I really like how yours look.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have used american meadows and also applewood seed company (they are mainly set up for wholesale but I talked them into sending a consumer price list to me)
I buy the honey bee friendly seed mix and bug friendly seed mix and toss it out. We have horrible weeds here, poison ivy, vines that grow on steroids. My first planting I killed the area with round up. Then seeded. We can't seed in the fall, if we have a warm then cold winter the seeds sprout then die. So I seed in the spring. The second seeding I tilled, if you till you need to seed like right away so they have a chance to beat out the weed seeds.
The purple flower garden is doing great by itself. I did round up a bunch of honeysuckle vine that threatened to take over the garden.

My other wild garden is for fall flowers, some things bloom all summer. But mainly fall flowering for the bees.

I do bush hog it down either fall or spring, usually spring, after searching and saving any praying mantis eggs cases.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I do a big chop down now and then, some control!

The west yard sort of west , this is the deck pond that waterfalls down a 85 foot stream to the big pond.

20200711_091122.jpg

The "back" yard, facing south full sun, 25 degree slope down to the pond. You can see the big pond there are 5 other ponds that are hard to see. The lotus pond is just behind the bird feeder pole.

20200711_090947.jpg

The bees and east wild garden. way over on the slope a circle of flowers, wild, for the critters.

20200711_090909.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I should mention our yard was nothing but grass when we moved in.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@addy1 I definitely want Lotuses in the pond. I am not sure if they would over-winter in Ontario, Canada.
As long as the tuber does not freeze they sill survive winter. You pond would need to not freeze to the bottom.

Reaction score
Pondmaster, thanks for your interest in this project.............I am having a lot of fun working on it, I figured it would take all summer to get it running.

Tested the stream today from top to bottom. We had to adjust two of the little ponds, liner goofs.........lol. But other than that water flowed just as we hoped.

a little hard to see the last picture shows water flowing
(from garden hose) into multiple ponds heading towards the big guy.
Very nice pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
After my husband passed, I left my pond in Arizona to move to Maryland to marry one wonderful guy.

We have a great wooded / grass lot, but very sloped, hard to mow. A ton of shale just inches below what little dirt we have, which is also maryland clay. It is hard to even dig a hole for a plant. My honey watched and helped me dig holes to attempt to put in plants. He decided this ex workaholic / early retired new wife needed something to keep busy with and out of trouble.

So! For our first anniversary pressie he bought me a kubota. Needless to say I have been digging every since.

The utility trench was dug on 4/21, two months later slowly getting there.

Here are some of the beginning shots. The yard before being attacked by the tractor, and of course the planning drawing. The dotted line is the utility trench.

More progress to come and of course photos.
Keep up the great work.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
After my husband passed, I left my pond in Arizona to move to Maryland to marry one wonderful guy.

We have a great wooded / grass lot, but very sloped, hard to mow. A ton of shale just inches below what little dirt we have, which is also maryland clay. It is hard to even dig a hole for a plant. My honey watched and helped me dig holes to attempt to put in plants. He decided this ex workaholic / early retired new wife needed something to keep busy with and out of trouble.

So! For our first anniversary pressie he bought me a kubota. Needless to say I have been digging every since.

The utility trench was dug on 4/21, two months later slowly getting there.

Here are some of the beginning shots. The yard before being attacked by the tractor, and of course the planning drawing. The dotted line is the utility trench.

More progress to come and of course photos.
Yes, need some pics of your progress! I shared the pic of your digger, now I want one.Lol

Ask a Question