Pond in Southern Illinois

Reaction score
I live about 9 miles from town. The last mile to my house the road isn't a county road :(. Even tho there have been a lot of people building and moving up here everybody sticks to their selves. Lately the only people who have seen my pond is the ups driver. LOL Oh and of course the deer! Even tho we do it for us it's nice to have someone to acknowledge all of the hard work we have done on our ponds.

Reaction score
Sure, its easy to get here Patti--just come to Vandalia then go on the road that goes past rural king towards Walmart halfway between the 2 you will see a sign for highway 185 (road to Hillsboro) turn right on it and come out about 2 miles or so till you see the white sign for church of god on your right turn right (east) here--if you see the big sign for RTM Storage on your left same place-- your there. come east on this road(thrill hill road) about 1/8 of a mile to 4 way stop (church of God is sitting on left corner)at stop sign turn left (north) and go about 1/2 mile to top of long low hill then turn right at red brick house rural sign will say-south lake drive-come down the hill on s lake and follow the hard curve to the right and then come about 3 blocks(stay on the right hand fork and just past the timber on your left is my driveway Kershaw on the rock beside the drive. for tom tom just put in 2021 s lake drive. yea I will take a start of the water clover if you dont mind and bring the cooler

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Thanks, Tim and Anne for having me over to your pond this evening! Wow, it's far better in person than pictures can possible do it justice. Everything is growing really well, pond was crystal clear, fish are beautiful, and just simply loved everything. Had to see the moss area you had been working on, and that is a really cool idea with your wooded lot. Left them some water clover and penny wart, and a start of the Water Fringe, and brought back a start of his Sweet Flag (since mine refuses to grow, same size as when I put it in the bog 2 years ago), and some other plant that spreads, and is really unusual.
Here are a couple of pics of the "mystery" plant. He had lots of it coming up in different places where he placed it.
Sweet flag and unknown plant from Tim Kershaw.JPGUnknown plant, the clover looking part is the flower.JPG

Reaction score
I wish you could come over too, Colleen--in fact it would sure be nice if all of us that share this hobbie, and follow each other on here were a lot closer geographically than we are. It would be nice to drive over to yours, or Tmans, or addys, or pecans, or sissys, or a dozen others that I follow regularlly on here for advice or just to see the latest tweak they have done around their pond. I was on my way down to New Orleans with Anne to catch a Cruise Ship to Mexico in april and I thought Man I should have messaged Larkin to see if it would be alright to bring Anne by to see all the neat things he's done at his new place, but I didnt before I left and I didnt want to that day on such short notice. I will say that if anybody on here is passing thru Illinois on Interstate 70 to give me a shout on here if they want to stop by, we always like company and I only live 3 miles off of I-70. Also I want to say thanks to Patti for bringing me the pond plants, and I hope the stuff I gave her takes off and grows good.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We drive I95 a lot from maryland to florida, very seldom west.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Tim I found out that the feathery plant that you said grows really easily, and spreads (from under your trees) is called a "euphorbia cyparissias, or more commonly called "Cyress Spurge". It is a very invasive plant, although I didn't consider it that in your yard. Yes, it spreads, but it looked to be pretty well behaved from what I consider "invasive". However, I guess it grows well in the sun, too, and maybe is much more invasive there. And, it does flower, but maybe not as much in the shade as in the sun. What I brought home had the cute little tiny leaves in the middle, which is maybe all it gets in the shade, and what I thought was so unique.

Reaction score
I am from Centralia and was wondering where the local posters get their fish. Just made my pond a little bigger and need plants and fish. I usually go to pondmarket.

Reaction score
Well Lindaton, I usually get my Koi at petsmart in Fairview Hts or the Effingham Walmart--both usually have nice looking Koi, both standard fin and butterfly (although the butterfly dont have as long wavy fins as some I've seen on Ebay--but their a lot cheaper too). Vandalia Walmart, its a crapshoot--once in a while you will see something cool or unique but not to often--keep in mind all these places are just pond grade not show grade of course. For goldfish I just buy unique looking 25 cent feeders and let them grow into what they will--some look cool--some not so much, LOL.A guy gave me some plants a couple years ago and they were full of fancy grade goldfish eggs--about 8 survived and look nice. My white Channel catfish come from a pond supply fishery and are delivered to farm stores twice a year, spring and fall. I also have 6 female Koi full of eggs if they ever spawn and babys survive your welcome to some of them also if you want to make the drive to Vandalia, Tim

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I also have fish and plants if you're willing to come west of Effingham to get them! I have 4 baby koi from last year that survived, not sure how much bigger your pond is and if you're looking for koi or goldfish, though. I have a goldfish pond and there are lots of fish in there, too. Problem is catching them this time of year! Just ask Sheetmetalman! LOL With the lilies growing, it's next to impossible to catch them during the day, but might be able to net a few at night with a flashlight.
I have lilies, water clover and water parsley, penny wart, and verigated cattails that are "blooming". If you're interested, private message me and we can go from there. Otherwise, I, too, have bought goldfish at Wal-Mart in Effingham. They tend to have some pretty nice fish, and usually not many dead ones like some other Wal-Marts I've been to. Local pet shops typically have better quality koi if they carry them, or find a local breeder. I got my first koi from a breeder in Indianapolis. Was a fun trip, as he had all the fish for sale in a pool set up for the day.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wade in the pond, working on the lilies, have a net in hand. The fish come to check out what you are doing. That is one time I can almost pick them up by hand.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Me, too, Addy ... until I miss once with the net. Then they are GONE! LOL but may try that again next time I'm in the pond. The koi are mostly the skittish ones in the goldfish pond. Had them in there to sell/give away, figured easier to net, but now lilies are everywhere, and would be very difficult to net one. The one is going back to koi pond, as I really like how her color is changing. She's very much like Shamu, and Shamu is a male ....
Here are a couple of pics I took of her the other day, trying to see her coloring and markings. That's when I noticed her white belly. I don't think she's doitsu, though, but that's ok. Shamu is scaleless.
Female koi from pond kid.JPGFemale koi from Pond Kid 2.JPG

Reaction score
Sheetmetal Man and CountryEscape, I would love to stop by. I go thru Vandalia about 2-3 times a week on 185. Originally from Vandalia. I am willing to pay for some fish and or plants. On my way to Pondmarket today to get some plants. My pond is about 1000 gal. Thanksfor all the replies.

Reaction score
Well just message me when your next coming thru Van and I will make an effort to be here, almost always home by 4:30 weeknights and can be here anytime on weekends if I know your coming--also I'm home every other Friday, so just let me know, Tim

Reaction score
I had one of my biggest Koi out of the pond yesterday and measured her--big suprise, she was 14 inches long and 4 inches tall-- didnt look that big in the water to me. Its amazing that in not even 2 full years she has went from 3 inches when I bought her at petsmart to 14" now. I know she is a SHE because she looks like she is gonna pop from all the eggs in her--in fact I have 6 female koi in that predicament.

Ask a Question