Pond is low, how to fill

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Pond has a been a bit low. Mainly because of the heat I have been having and I never filled it fully.

I have decloroinator. But I want to know how to fill the pond. Can I just put a hose into it. Let it fill and pump a bit of decloroinator as it fills? I do have 3 shubunkins and 1 koi. This is why I ask. They are all relatively small. 4-6 inches.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I wouldn't with the heat you could harm your fish .Do you have a thermometer in your pond .I have well water .Do you know what is in your city water supply

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yes I do have a thermometer. I live on farm country in a huge sub development. Not on well water. On municipal water. My pond has been roughly between 70-80F in this heat.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Do you have buckets to put the water in and wait an hour ior 2 and then add it as I have heard on here that city water is safer after a certain time .I am not sure and hope someone else who has city water chimes in to help you

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yes I do have a thermometer. I live on farm country in a huge sub development. Not on well water. On municipal water. My pond has been roughly between 70-80F in this heat.
Your current pond temperature is not a problem. Add the Dechlor as you refill the pond.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I do not have a bucket. Was going to buy one.

My issue is that do I put the decloroinator in the pond or so I put it in the bucket with the water. The bucket be much smaller so getting the proper decorinator may be difficult.

Correction. Water is 20 degrees Celsius which is just below 70F

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Your water is still relatively cool.
How big is your pond? How much water will you need to add? Is your Dechlor liquid or powder?
Really do not need a bucket.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Decloroinator is a liquid on pump bottle. Believe it's aquascape. As to the size of the pond. I really don't know. Came with my house haha. It's about 8x8 or 10x10. And probably 3-4 feet deep to the very bottom and not the shallow ledges.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
When in doubt, best to use extra dechlorinator. Check the label but most are safe to over use. I use a powder, toss in pond and add hose. Make sure you keep an eye on it as you are refilling. many pond keepers have killed off fish by forgetting they had hose running

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
When I need to top my pond off about an inch I put the hose on trickle at the top of the water fall and fill the pond. I do not add any decholorinator because the amount of water I am adding is not much compared to the total volume of the pond.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
When I need to top my pond off about an inch I put the hose on trickle at the top of the water fall and fill the pond. I do not add any decholorinator because the amount of water I am adding is not much compared to the total volume of the pond.
That is not a risk worth taking.

Ask a Question