Pond Light question -

Reaction score
Hello,

I purchased a Total Pond (single) Light Kit from Home Depot yesterday. My question is - Do I "have" to use the dusk to dawn sensor that comes with it, or can I just plug the light into the transformer. I'd rather not have the thing on all night, but turn it on and off via a switch at the recepticle.

Thanks,

Mike S - St. Louis

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You should be able to put it on a timer, then when the timer tells it to go on the dusk till dawn timer should take over. So say you have it on a timer to go on at 8pm and off at 11pm, it turns on at 8pm but then the dusk till dawn sensor does not kick on till 8:30 b/c it is not dark enough yet. It will turn off at 11 when the timer goes off. Hope this makes sense.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You should be able to put it on a timer, then when the timer tells it to go on the dusk till dawn timer should take over. So say you have it on a timer to go on at 8pm and off at 11pm, it turns on at 8pm but then the dusk till dawn sensor does not kick on till 8:30 b/c it is not dark enough yet. It will turn off at 11 when the timer goes off. Hope this makes sense.

I have put tape over the sensor so it is always dark, i.e. light always on, so my timer would make it do what I wanted it to.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have my leds on a timer too and they are dusk to dawn .But one thing before you put it in the water put a little silicon around the seal it seems those lights always get water in them and ruin them .My first light did that and after that I sealed them ,those lights are not cheap and they never seal totally water tight .I got some on E-bay that were led free shipping and 40 dollars for 5 of them they were jebeo's or something like that spelling LOL

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have my leds on a timer too and they are dusk to dawn .But one thing before you put it in the water put a little silicon around the seal it seems those lights always get water in them and ruin them .My first light did that and after that I sealed them ,those lights are not cheap and they never seal totally water tight .I got some on E-bay that were led free shipping and 40 dollars for 5 of them they were jebeo's or something like that spelling LOL

hubby mentioned putting them in a jar like a mason jar, sealing the hole for the wire. We got some that are not made of under water, may try that.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States

Sissy do the led lights you have give off a warm light or is it bright white?

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies...the reason that I'm asking is that the sensor is a separate piece in the "chain" going to the transformer....I've got an email into the company that makes it asking the question. I don't really want to rely on timers - I'd rather use an on/off switch.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Mike just curious what was the name of the transformer, I have several transformers from the home depot that light up my garden lights that have the photo sensor on them. The way mine works is that it has several options one goes on at dusk but then you set when you want it to turn off in two hour increment up to 8 hours or you can leave it on dusk to dawn or you can leave it on all the time then you could plug it into a switched outlet and this would allow you to turn it on and off at your discretion. I just went and tested it to see if you set it to the on position and then turned it on or off at a switched outlet that it does work. The brand I have is Hampton Bay.

Ask a Question