pond lighting help

Reaction score
Country
Greece
hi!
has anyone tried to use little external garden spot lights instead of submerged lights? im thinking of putting some around the pond to light the inside of the pond an the waterfall as they are alot cheaper

is the result any good?

thanks for the help!

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have many of those solar lights and even some of the spotlights. I don't have the spots on the pond and I don't illuminate my pond as I do not wish to make a herons job easier! That said,I do believe the spots would do what you want.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
A 12V LED underwater system isn't that expensive when you take into consideration their lifespan. Those cheapie solar lights don't last and in my opinion, look cheesy. Buy the best stuff you can afford, and if you can't afford what you want.....wait until you can.

Stick with LED systems. 12V halogen systems bulbs have a short lifespan and draw a lot of watts, thus requiring a larger transformer.

A standard transformer isn't very expensive when you take into consideration how many watts you'll need to run. If you're going to run a total of say, 60 watts, then buy a 100 watt transformer.

Do a search for "12V LED underwater lights". You'll see what I mean.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I concur with the Raccoon Hater; LED works well. I think I got my set(s) for about $45 each (set of 5) and have them scattered throughout the waterfall and along the pond edge. Going on 4 years now and only 1 light has died.

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I don't necessarily "hate" raccoons. I merely loathe them with every fiber of my being.

My favorite raccoons are the ones that I see having a dirt nap in the center lane.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
RGkgHuY.gif

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
If that was a King Can of Canadian at my house, that little bugger had better run faster than that.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
we have 4 lantern style lights around our pond, 1 by the waterfall, 2 on corners and one at the far corner of the bog
this picture is brighter than in real life because of the flash but they do provide a nice low light and you can see into the water
kind of like having a full moon all the time
pond (34).JPG

Ask a Question