Pond Liner

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Good luck if you are using brick. If any seperate, you will have leaks. If you go with concrete, then make sure you use lots of iron. I would also use no less than a 3500 ksi mix.
I would paint the inside with a product called "thoroseal".

Reaction score
You will also do a good layout and figure out your filter system before doing the concrete. Be very hard to add skimmer later. I would also install bottom drains, don't need to use them now, but it'll be nearly impossible to add them later.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the info any more would be apprecated a have a bottem drain installed for winter use its not a pond drain its from hepworth plumbing and will work all the same once its opend it will drain in minutes (will post link soon ) also about the filter i have a in pond filter the ones with the fountain heads on them will try and get a link to it 2

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
After reading all the stories about blocked bottom drains, I think I would add a tee midway and bring it to the surface so I could blast it with compressed air when it gets clogged. I still don't see the point unless you are not going to use submersable pumps for your circulation and filtration water movers.

The water that sits in the drain, unless it is flowing through a pump constantly will turn black and nasty (septic).

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
people who dont think they need a cleanout for a drain,,,will pay the price...when the plumber comes....its just the cost of a fitting while they are building.......

Reaction score
I Have 2 Clean out drains and its been tested with a garden hose and no water sits in it as its angled so it run out will post pics the drain is only for emptying the pond in winter use instead of using a hose the fish will be removed and put into diffrent tanks indoors and the lid will be removed of the bottem drain allowing the water to drain out once empty the lid will be screwed down agian ready for it to be filled up agian (once shut no water can get in or out as it has rubber seals in it)?

Reaction score
THE DRAIN

100_0965.jpg

THE DRAIN INSTALLED READY FOR CONCRETE FLOOR

100_0956.jpg

THE FILTER AND THE FOUNTAIN ON IT

100_0961.jpg

AND OUR DRAIN ACCESS HOLES 1 AND 2 REST OF PIPE wORK STILL TO BE DONE

100_0959.jpg

DARREN

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
darren i put a rubber liner in my concrete block raised pond......

Reaction score
I wish I took a picture of my DIY bottom drain. Mine should never get clogged, as it has no problems sucking my our 4" turtle.

I took a 4" pvc pipe and put an end cap on it. I took my cut out about 3/4 of the pipe (length wise), then added a large plastic salad bowl to the top.

In this picture you can see the bowl.

PondNight1.jpg

It looks something similar to the following bottom drain:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=5339

Reaction score
Maybe I am misunderstanding the use of your bottom drain.

Are you using it as a filter? Or just to "Drain" your pond?

Reaction score
Then the drain you selected will work.

It would be best to get a "bottom drain" connected to your filter system, to keep the muck from the bottom of your pond. Just make keeping your pond cleaner, easier.

My first pond didn't have a drain, and I would pump out the water every spring and clean all the crud out of the pond. It was not fun. Now, I don't have to worry about that. I just use the hose that is in my settling chamber, hook up a pipe to my valve, open the valve and the water flows out of my settling chamber. I have a flexible hose inside the settling chamber, that I use like a vacuum, to suck out all the crud. The water pressure powers the suction.

No matter what you do, the final outcome is the same. A nice looking pond!

Ask a Question