Pond modifications costing $$

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Business insurance runs about $1300 per year just for liability coverage. Commercial vehicle insurance is higher than that of regular vehicle insurance. Trailers and equipment require capital outlay and insurance. Laborers are required to be insured. Taxes need to be collected, accounted and remitted. Equipment needs to be serviced and replaced. Vehicles and gas tools run on fuel or a fuel/oil mix. Vehicles travel miles.

It's strange that people don't think twice about spending that on a roof, or on a leaky basement, or on a window replacement project, or putting a new liner or filter in their swimming pool..................

Agreed forking that kind of cash is generally not affordable to many and in case of roofs, if unattended could lead to flooding the home.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Well, for one I notice that you're a US resident, the land of the litigious.

Now, imagine if an uninsured guy came over to work on your property's pond and got "hurt", then sued your home insurance for damages..................

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes to all the above but I feel they overestimated my pond size they measured it stone outer end to stone outer end, which is an overestimation. My current pond pump is 960 gph and I estimate the pond to be 450 gallons they thought it was 780 gallons. They included the falls in their calculation which is just a tray pouring water on stones.
I have found that most so called "contractors "are no longer in it to make a living,they are more interested in making a killing.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
they measured it stone outer end to stone outer end,
Maybe they measured that way for the amount of liner they would need? I would ask them for the breakdown in the costs they quoted. The pond stores around here would gladly explain their costs to you. Maybe once you see the breakdown, it would help you make the decision if it was too expensive. Did you ask for references and to see pictures of other ponds they have done?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If there is enough extra liner around the edges you might be able to just build the berm up and use the existing liner

That would be quite a lot of extra liner I would think. I left myself LOTS of extra liner, but I doubt I could go a foot deeper and still have extra liner left when it was done.

Doing this job on your own would be time consuming and back breaking. The cost of materials for this would be a small portion of the total job - the majority would go to labor... i.e. the time consuming, back breaking part.

@tbendl offers a good suggestion, but you'd still have to consider the size of your liner.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Picked up the details. Got another quote.

The other quote gave me a higher max but was cheaper to just change the liner and put a skimmer but like $1k. I'm gonna probably go with that. The pond needs the extra foot down, especially after I added the one sanke goldfish and two opal goldfish.

As for going up... the liner is barely over the edge of the pond in some areas. I inherited this pond when I bought the house last summer.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Picked up the details. Got another quote.

The other quote gave me a higher max but was cheaper to just change the liner and put a skimmer but like $1k. I'm gonna probably go with that. The pond needs the extra foot down, especially after I added the one sanke goldfish and two opal goldfish.

As for going up... the liner is barely over the edge of the pond in some areas. I inherited this pond when I bought the house last summer.
So is the new quote $1,000 total or $1,000 less than the first quote of $5,000.?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
So is the new quote $1,000 total or $1,000 less than the first quote of $5,000.?

The second one asked me how much did I want to spend. I told them what I thought and it came down to like $1.5k less. They did suggest other things that could have made it even higher than the last quote.

Ask a Question