POND NEWBIE help with liner size!!!!!!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Really? Because this is a tarp in the ground and I would swear the fish think it's a pond
pond august1.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Exactly why this thread is dead. Now we are just nitpicking like silly humans do. The topic has been discussed and we are on to arguing definitions of words. Of course it looks like a pond I am just saying don't shoot yourself in the foot and do the job right. I honestly do not understand why someone would knowingly go ahead on a project with sub par materials other than pure stubbornness.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't have to. I am choosing to because I added fish. Had I not added fish I would have left it as is. My only point is that it can be built with a tarp and it doesn't mean that it is being done the wrong way. We are all here learning and sharing about the different ways that people build and maintain their ponds.
And for me the original build was a matter of I wasn't sure if I wanted to maintain a pond and I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on a thick liner. So I choose to build with a tarp. Again not out of stubbornness just out of what worked for me. Again this isn't about judging others and their choices.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I used to have a friend who would make pronouncements like "the bottom line is" or "the real point is" to control conversations. Please note - "used to".

This is a friendly place @jakkbauer - we converse like friends. Which means sometimes we meander. It's ok. You can wander off quietly - we won't be offended.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My post was directed at another thread but as usual windows 10 is doing what it wants to do and jumping pages .I have called tech. support so we will see if it ever gets resolved .And i agree with Tbendl and lisak .I started with a pvc liner because I knew I would either not want the work of a pond or would be changing my to go bigger or to move it to another location .A ponder is always changing something for one reason or the other .This is number 4 for me and bigger each time and also because damage to my 45 mil liner 2 times and damage to the pvc liner .When the builder that was helping with the pond dropped a deck board into the pond and it went through the liner 4 months after it was installed and long before I came on here and learned more :)

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
In truth, durable and safe pond liners are made from materials other than EPDM. Polyethylene and Polypropylene are two that immediately come to mind. At issue in this thread was the liner thickness, not necessarily its chemical composition. Even the billboard tarp folks will tell you that a 15 mil tarp will likely last less than 5 years.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use pieces of my pvc liner for under my stock tank filters because it is more flexible and that is exposed to sun and cold .It is over 11 years old .Has held up pretty good to the abuse I have given it .I guess a starter pond is a starter pond :);)budget also always wins out .

Reaction score
I have to agree with not using the liner. It takes a lot of time to get a pond to look natural. If you have to take the liner out in a few years you will be starting over and you will never get what you are looking for.

Ask a Question