j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow, Joanie what a good idea and it looks very nice near your pond. Our soil is so sandy here it dries out and drains as soon as the rain hits almost........unless we get torrential downpours and then on our property it only sits in the ditches for a short while so if I wanted a bog I'd have to use the liner and keep it wet myself :bouncycig:

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Like some of the others I built a dry creek bed about 10' long then it goes into a 6" drain that takes the water to the other side of my yard and exits out. I used 4"pipe for this as I have a gutter and another drain from the other side of the pond that drains into it and have had no trouble with being able to handle the volume. I would definitely go with a minimum of 3" drain or a 4" if you can. If you are tieing into an existing gutter downspout it is most likely a 4" pipe so no problems there.

1.In the first pic between the plant and the skimmer is my overflow spot.
2. The second pic shows you a birds eye view of the overflow point, it is in the middle of the pic.
3. The third pic is where it enters the drain to go to the other side of the yard. I moved the three rocks at the top so you could see it, otherwise it is covered.
4. The fourth pic show what the dry stream looks like standing behind the drain looking at the pond.

Attachments

• P1020640.JPG
    P1020640.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 425
  • P1020638.JPG
    P1020638.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 426
  • P1020639.JPG
    P1020639.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 371
  • P1020636.JPG
    P1020636.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 403

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice job on your dry stream bed taherrmann,

My overflow pipe is buried in some rocks so the fish can't decide to flow out of the pond with the rain. But I am thinking of adding some screen across the opening.

Reaction score
thanks guys for all the suggestions i will let you know what i plan to do and i will send pictures. i dont have much room for a dry bed but i will consider it.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks Addy.

So far (knock on wood) I have not had any problems with fish escaping out of the overflow that I know of. Even during hard rains my pond does not go obove the overlfow point very much. You can't tell in the pictures but if you were to look at it even with the pond the overflow area has a v shape to it, so the higher it gets the more water by volume will leave. Has worked well for me so far. I just redid the dry stream bed this year as I was not happy with, had mulch and muck getting in it which would slow the water to the pipe.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
You want to use something that will keep your fish in, mesh would be needed if you have fry, If you have 4"-6" fish egg crating or 1" x1" screen would be fine. two foot Koi, Heck a three inch open line is fine, Your not going to suck him down the over flow I hope. LOL

Seriously depends on how small of things you want to keep from getting out.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a dry rock ledge the overflow is in, so the fish would have to get around all the rocks before they could get out the overflow area. Never have seen one flopping on the grass, so it must be working, but I might still put something over the end of the tube.

Ask a Question