pond pump for waterfall

Reaction score
hello,
i plan on adding a waterfall to my pond this summer but im wondering what size pump i should have for the job.
my waterfall is basically going to be a diy filter tank waterfall with a submersible pump inside my pond that pumps water through a 10 foot hose/pipe, the hose will go up 2 feet from the bottom of my pond and then horizontal for about 5-6 feet before going at and angle to my 3-4 foot hight waterfall filter container, i want to know how strong my pump should be to do this job while keeping in mind i want to make the waterfall around 10 inches wide...since it will be a large container filter that spills out onto a 10 foot long stream i don't think the 150 gallons per inch will apply here.
sorry if this makes no sense whatsoever, please let me know if you are not certain as to waht i mean if you are unclear.
thank you

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The head pressure will be about 6-9 depending on the number of 90's etc you are using, (not bad at all, mine is 30)
To have a sheet of water going over a 10 inch weir you would need around 1500 gph

Reaction score
addy1 said:
The head pressure will be about 6-9 depending on the number of 90's etc you are using, (not bad at all, mine is 30)
To have a sheet of water going over a 10 inch weir you would need around 1500 gph

thank you so much addy, i have been wondering for a while now so that makes me really happy that i got help with it...would a 1250 gph pump work with say a 6-9 head pressure?
thank you

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep it would. If you don't have enough water to cover the weir, just add some rocks.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've gotten some good deals on pumps at BigAls.com
I have Pondmaster pumps and sometimes you can even get free shipping :lol:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I bought mine used off the forum, they are working great, except did not handle the stream head pressure. We are getting a pump from harbor freight, $39.00 that is supposed to be able to handle a head lift of 114 feet, gph of 850, that is all we need for what we are doing. Not a real expensive investment if it does not work out.
There are a lot of decent deals off the net tala, I bought based on the electricity sucking level of the pump, and of course gph for the bog.

Reaction score
Is a Savio Water Master Pump - model WMS1450 work well for waterfalls? The pond will be about 700 gallons. I have a chance of getting what is listed below for $250, I think it is a good deal. They say everything is new and in the original boxes.

Savio Compact Skimmerfilter (black) - model CS0000

Savio Water Master Pump (black) - model WMS1450

Firestone Pondgard Liner - .045 mil thickness - 15' X 15'

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is your waterfall high up? My problem is the slope. You need to know the height the water has to travel up to the waterfall. Some pumps shut off at 10 feet of head pressure, length of pipe and height water has to travel. It says will handle 14 feet of head pressure, the water flow drops the closer you get to the max head pressure.

here it is at 186 delivered
https://jmabadent.net/ponds/Pump/Savio/WMS1450/wms1450.htm

Reaction score
The high point of the falls is about 1.5 feet above the pond and about 3 feet long. More of a little stream with drops than a waterfall. The bog filter box I made will be at the head of it. The distance from the pump to the bog is maybe 7 feet.

Ask a Question