Pond Pump

Reaction score
Hi everyone, Here is my problem. I have a 2000 GPH pump in a 3200 gallon pond. It keeps shutting off and then restarting on it's own. The company is going to replace it as they say it is defective. My question is: I probably need a bigger pump or another 2000GPH pump, right? Will this help the problem. Could this pump just be working too hard and is getting hot, if that is possible in the water. My pond is not as clear as I would like and am going to build a Skippy Filter, which would add 150 gallon of water, but I know you don't want the water to flow too fast thru the filter. Would just adding another 2000GPH pump in the pond help with the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
More filtration is always better. 1x per hour should be your minimum, 2x would be better of coarse. I would do one skippy and one doc style 55 gallon filter. Also you could tee the line and run it to a water feature to slow the volume through the filters.

Reaction score
koidaddy said:
More filtration is always better. 1x per hour should be your minimum, 2x would be better of coarse. I would do one skippy and one doc style 55 gallon filter. Also you could tee the line and run it to a water feature to slow the volume through the filters.

If I build a 150 gallone skippy, would I need the doc filter? Or is the doc filter better than the skippy? Is 2 pumps better than 1 bigger pump, or is it just as good? Thanks for all the help.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I have made styles of both and prefer the doc. Also my 150 gallon RM stock tank cracked and is now useless. I was able to purchase four 55 gallon soap drums for $100 and made 3 doc type up flow fliters. The nice advantage with the skippy is you can add the waterfall to the side where the barrells need to be piped to one.
As far as pumps you should always have one as a back up and if you can run your whole system on one low watt/high volume pump that is the way to go IMO. I have a couple extra pumps(smaller) I am running now to increase water movement during the hot months.
Here is my set up.

Attachments

• P6060017 (Custom).JPG
    P6060017 (Custom).JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 235
  • P6060019 (Custom).JPG
    P6060019 (Custom).JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 232

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
koidaddy said:
I have made styles of both and prefer the doc. Also my 150 gallon RM stock tank cracked and is now useless. I was able to purchase four 55 gallon soap drums for $100 and made 3 doc type up flow fliters. The nice advantage with the skippy is you can add the waterfall to the side where the barrells need to be piped to one.
As far as pumps you should always have one as a back up and if you can run your whole system on one low watt/high volume pump that is the way to go IMO. I have a couple extra pumps(smaller) I am running now to increase water movement during the hot months.
Here is my set up.

Don't count your stock tank out as completely useless. Mine cracked as well, I was able to install a 20 mill HD liner in mine and fixed the leak no problem. Makes a great QT/Hospital tank!

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
Don't count your stock tank out as completely useless. Mine cracked as well, I was able to install a 20 mill HD liner in mine and fixed the leak no problem. Makes a great QT/Hospital tank!

I have given that some thought fishin. I had it as a lilly tank before it split...in two places. I will probably grind the cracks and fill with epoxy and then add a liner. I would hate for it to split again.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I tried the epoxy and it didn't help at all. I ended up filling the crack with epoxy and gluing a thin piece of waterfall tape over the split, then installed the liner, So far no issues, the test will come this winter, that's when it split last year. Mine split in a weird place, about a foot down but on a flat spot in the side, I would have thought it would have been it a place where it got thinner but it's actually split in one of the thickest areas on the side of the stock tank.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
In my book 2 filters are always better then one. If one goes bad you still have the other. And you can stagger cleaning.

I had a split from the rim down on an eight foot non RM stock tank. To help keep it from going further I drilled a hole at the very tip of the crack.

Why are these tanks cracking. I was under the impression that RM made good stuff ?

I injured the 8 footer when I was trying to remove ice. My bad. I still have a similar 6 foot that I purchased at the same time 20 years ago.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Mine is at least 10-12 years old, maybe older. I've had it that long and I got it used, it also sits out in the open wheather. I do have wood around it but not sunkin in the ground at all. I think mine cracked during a semi hard freeze for the area but at the same time where it split looks to have been a weak spot in the material. It has a swirl in the finish and the crack followed the swirl.

Ask a Question