pond rehab

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Thanks for the answers. So does the stove heat the house by radiation and then the fans circulate the radiated warmth, because I can't imagine that the exhaust air would be circulated since it contains CO and other gases.

My old house had a wood burning fireplace and the only area that would be warm would be right in front of it, and because the burned air would exit through the chimney I would imagine that cold air was being drawn in from somewhere that would negate any warmth caused by radiation. So our fireplace was only used for fun.

Reaction score
That was a common problem with open fireplaces, 99% of the heat goes right up the chimney and the draft would create a strong negative pressure in the house that would suck cold air in from every leaky access point. The net effect was they would cool the house rather than heat it.

The new wood burning stoves burn so efficiently that they need very little air and so don’t create anywhere near that kind of vacuum in the house that an open fireplace does.

You should never get more the a puff of smoke in the house, and the only time that might happen is when opening the door to reload.

Wood stoves (and inserts) are primarily radiant heaters, but most free standing stoves, and all inserts, have blower fans that blow air around and over the steel housing that helps dissipate the heat, cooling the box and warming the air at the same time.

You have all the right question John, you have the makings of a future wood burner. :D

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wow and I complain about 125 dollar electric bill on a 2440 sq.ft. house .Glad I did not finish off the basement or attic .This is the first house I have had that is all electric .

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Good information, thanks! But I don't think I'm ready to burn wood yet! It was a lot of fun in my old house

Our house is gas heated and I think our gas bill is around $150-200 per month in the winter. We keep our thermostat in the 60's and wear more clothing, at home I live in sweats and woolen socks, very comfy. My next door neighbor keeps his temp. in the 70's or 80's and walks around in shorts! And I'd like to think that I'm burning a few extra calories that way.

Ask a Question