pond reinforcement

Reaction score
I put in a pond back in nov.Its 13x9x3ft deep.Everything has been fine up to the other day.We had 7inches of rain in 2 days and part of the sides caved in.I live in sw florida.What could I do to reinforce the sides of the pond so this wont happen again.Not sure how to go about fixing the problem.I will add a few pics of what the pond looks like before.

Attachments

• SDC10488.jpg
    SDC10488.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 421
  • SDC10495.jpg
    SDC10495.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 376
  • SDC10502.jpg
    SDC10502.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 416
  • SDC10512.jpg
    SDC10512.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 399
Reaction score
In a place with soil that has as much sand as yours (FL), you can't just put a hole in the ground, throw a liner in and fill it with water. You need reinforced sides with either cement/rebar, cinder blocks, or I guess you could go with marine plywood (tho I don't know how long that lasts long term). The other option is to build an above ground pond.

Reaction score
Thanks for advise.The ground that I put the pond in is 6inches of topsoil and the other 2.5ft is solid clay.We are going to build a pressure treated box and put the liner inside of that.Thanks again

Reaction score
mountaindew said:
Thanks for advise.The ground that I put the pond in is 6inches of topsoil and the other 2.5ft is solid clay.We are going to build a pressure treated box and put the liner inside of that.Thanks again

Can't b too solid if i collapsed on ya. :fish:

Reaction score
Again, just keep in mind that pressure treated lumber will only last so long if it is placed in contact with soil. You'll probably get 5 or so years out of it, and then will have to scrap the whole thing and build again.

At least use trex or block to get longevity. It will be more expensive now, but cheaper in the long-run.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
actually there are 4 different grades of pressure treated lumber .. above ground , below ground .. permanent underground foundation and salt water.. and the new recipes for pt wood are far less toxic even tho they are still of a copper base origin. ask at a true builders supply lumber yard. they may not carry it all at Lowes or Homedepot.

Reaction score
to koiguy's point, I would ask him what kind of pressure treated of that's the way you feel you want to go. Please don't think that a "pond builder" knows everything. You'd be surprised at how many of us have chatted with "pro pond builders" and wound up shocked by their suggestions--like putting rocks in a pond as one of my favorites.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Pressure treated wood has poisons in it. Don't let him use it where rainwater could wash these into the pond.

Ask a Question