Pond shelf

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I’m building a raised wooden pond ( 1m tall ) and would like to put plants in, is it possible to put a wooden shelf on the inside wall, I’m concerned about the liner being stressed against the shelf edges leading to tears etc.
Anyone had experience with this concept.
Is there a better way to have plants along the pond edge?

Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think the better course might be to think hanging basket rather than shelf - create a method for suspending the plants from the top of the raised edge - similar to a window box - rather than trying to build shelves inside. Something similar to this:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Myself I would find a log split it in two so you see a log on the front edge and the plants sit on that. Like a board. Place this WITHIN the liner. There's nothing wrong with putting wood in the pond. It will not rot out in a week orvtwo or two years even . If it is kept wet all the types of wood i am familiar with will last decades submerged!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I’m building a raised wooden pond ( 1m tall ) and would like to put plants in, is it possible to put a wooden shelf on the inside wall, I’m concerned about the liner being stressed against the shelf edges leading to tears etc.
Anyone had experience with this concept.
Is there a better way to have plants along the pond edge?

Thanks
Build the shelf into the hole, put the liner over it. If you can't build the shelves you need into the pond hole and have to create shelves inside the liner, milk crates are better than wood, if they happen to make the right height. You can also use flat, but rounded stones under pots to raise them just a little. Example of a good stone to go under a pot to raise it a bit:
20230719_144831.jpg
20230719_144836.jpg

Ask a Question