Pond Size... Is Biggger Really Better? More or Less Maintenance?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have to agree with Koikeeper. Our pond is 10x13 and it is almost impossible to catch the fish without draining most of the pond. I have a net set up on pvc framework that allows me to block off part of the pond but the little guys just duck under it!! Koi are FAST!
New pond build will be 10x10 and hopefully won't ever have to net anybody again.

Reaction score
malatu said:
You're pullin' my leg!

I kid you not! These fish are super fast and smart.

I swear that when I'm trying to catch one in particular, the others are laughing/taunting me, like "look at her, she's never gonna get him!"

I always have to drain the water out like 50-60% to even have a chance. And when you are talking about a pond your size, you really don't want to have to do that.

Trust me and go deep instead of wide.

Reaction score
I'm don't know much about koi or other fish for that matter. Realistically, how often and for what reasons do you need to capture the fish? You mentioned I would want to catch them to inspect them if they seemed ill or diseased etc. And what would be the ramifications or costs (not in dollars) in building a larger pond thus sacrificing the ability to easily catch fish (beyond having to partially drain the pond)? In other words, help me identify problems I might incur not being able to capture fish.

Reaction score
oh gosh, there are innumerable reasons. Diseases are the most common and inevitable. A fish that has been injured that could have bumped into something, been hurt by a predator, etc. When your fish spawn you will not be able to keep all the babies, so you'll need to get them out. A fish, frog or some other critter that has died and you need to get out. All sorts of stuff that inevitably flies into the pond such as leaves, sticks and other such debris, etc. It goes on and on...

Bottom line, with a pond that wide, you will be forced to wade into the water to do any of the above and/or have to drain out the pond partially.

Reaction score
Good food for thought. It sounds like the biggest trade-off is not being able to easily capture the fish and having to put on a pair of waders every time I want to clean it. Right now that doesn't seem like too bad of a trade-off, but again, that's coming from someone who is leaning toward a larger pond. Thanks for the info and playing devil's advocate for me! I appreciate all different perspectives which ultimately help me with my decision making process.

Cheers!

rdk

Reaction score
Last fall I spent 30 minutes trying to net one of my 4" gold fish in a small 300 gal pond. FAILED. NO WAY. RDK

Reaction score
you can go larger. Just do it in depth and length.. But of course, at the end of the day, the trade off will be yours. It's also more difficult to filter wide. You get dead spots in the center where you filtration unless you've got TPRs pushing stuff out toward the filters. Tell me you plan on external filters. and TPR's. This is not a task for a submersible pump.

Tell us about your plumbing/filtration plan.

Reaction score
Sorry, but I am right at the beginning of the learning curve. My contractor will design the system. I'll share with you when I fully comprehend some of the details. I do know he is planning on using all Aqua-scape products. Other than that, I can't answer your questions.

Right now I'm focusing on size and location and some other things associated with the project such as the 30' stream. Since the entire stream will be relatively elevated and will flow from left to right, in essence you really won't be able to see the stream bed. You'll only be able to see the falls we incorporate into the stream (assuming we turn them 90 degrees to the patio and yard. The installer suggested we could install 2 to 3 water features in lieu of the stream but pipe the water underground from the first water feature to the second (and possibly third) and then into the pond. I'm also throwing that decision around in my head as well.

By the way, this August will be the third year I've been working on this project. I guess I'll have to post some pics. I've been reading a lot at this forum the past couple of days and I've been greatly impressed with the knowledge base! I guess I should post some pics. I'll start another thread.

Reaction score
I just started a new thread in the "Garden Pond Photography" section. Once I get some pics posted I'll have some questions about the stream (or no stream).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Is that a average depth or does it go from ? to 5ft?
Riverbottom said:
At 65X45X5 deep 50000 Gal. I don't have to do anything! LOL
I will be posting pictures of my filter and stream soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You need a couple of people to do it the way I do,
I take a seine and start at one in and work to the other then I net any fish I want because they are in a smaller space.
As for bigger ponds being easier to maintain the answer could be yes or no. It depend on how you built the pond, filtration and fish load.

rdk said:
Last fall I spent 30 minutes trying to net one of my 4" gold fish in a small 300 gal pond. FAILED. NO WAY. RDK

PS3

Reaction score
malatu the pond you want to build 11 x 16 is pretty large.
and you will have no problem with it as long as you have a good filter.
my pond is pretty big and teh water keeps crytral clear all till at least
jan then it starts geting green but its winter so its no big deal

Reaction score
DoDad is right, a seine net is the proper tool. As rdk said the size of the pond is not related to how easy or hard it is to catch fish with a minnow net.

Contractor said bigger is better. There's a surprise. Any chance it cost more too?

Aqua-scape ponds do need to be emptied and cleaned once a year. Pretty much impossible to clean between loose rocks any other way. I mortar rocks in place to make normal cleaning possible and get the same look. The rock bacteria thing they promote is just for people new to ponds. Sounds good and makes no actual sense. Rock gets covered in algae and dirt in about 1 day. A simple stream, waterfall or bio filter will provide much more suitable surface area.

Aqua-scape ponds are generally very shallow also. Not that great for fish. But it can get around city codes for permits and the more shallow the water the clearer it will always appear.

It's common knowledge that larger ponds are easier to maintain or stay "balanced" better. But common knowledge, while often cited, is rarely right. A 15,000 sf home is easier to maintain than a 500 sf apartment because the crap in the large home is spread out. Three dirty dishes in a small apartment makes the place look like a dump. I had a converted swimming pool once that was zero maintenance for 4 years, right up until huge mats of crap started floating to the surface. Then it was quite the little nightmare.

Later I had a 30 gal pond that I cleaned with a minnow net. Easiest pond I ever kept, cleanest too. So it kind of depends on how you plan on maintaining the pond. If you're willing to let the crap pile up then yes, bigger is better. If you plan on weekly or monthly cleaning then smaller is easier. Not saying one or the other is better, just different types of ponds and ponders.

Since your contractor says a larger pond is easier to maintain I assume he'll charge less for the annual cleaning? Ask him this while he's drinking coffee, but stand to the side. Very entertaining.

Size should be determined by what you want. You want to raise show Koi, a water garden with a few goldfish, or just a landscape feature. Aqua-scape ponds are nice landscape features for people with the means and desire to hire out the build and maintenance. They're nice to look at through a dinning room window. Not really a good choice for someone who wants to be hands on.

If pond keeping is a hobby for you it's best to start small and simple. You will learn tons and be able to make a better decision later. I would say all ponders who like the hobby will always want a bigger or more ponds. Just like any hobby. We will also also see where improvements can be made so we generally like to change stuff. When you spend $10-30K on a professionally made pond you can kind of lose that ability to make changes. Unless you are very wealthy most people will never rip out an expensive pond.

Aqua-scape ponds are great landscape features. Nothing wrong with that. But I've never heard of a pond hobbyist who replaced a Koi pond or water garden with an Aqua-scape pond although I assume Aqua-scape would disagree. Just different things.

Ask a Question