Pond skimmer

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hello, I was thinking of using one of these http://fancykoioutlet.com/supply/skimmer_inpond.htm pond skimmers. Any thoughts or ideas? Even DIY skimmers???

I am thinking this route in case I would need to move the skimmer to another location after the pond is build for better skimming. Also not crazy about cutting the liner. I also would connect an in the pond bottom drain with a valve to that I would turn on when the bottom needs cleaned.
Thanks
icewaterdon

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have not used one like that/ Did install a pool skimmer, cut the liner, which I hate doing also. But with a lot of goop, sealing and care it actually does not leak! I put mine on the predominant down wind end of the pond, the far end, also from the waterfall. It is working wonderfully, my maple is dropping thousands of those seed helicopters.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I did not need a skimmer ,do not get floating gunk on my pond but I did see on here where someone just made a depression with there liner and put the skimmer in that depression .They did not cut the liner .Maybe someone will remember how and who did it .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I did not need a skimmer ,do not get floating gunk on my pond but I did see on here where someone just made a depression with there liner and put the skimmer in that depression .They did not cut the liner .Maybe someone will remember how and who did it .

That would work, with mine the plumbing comes out of the bottom of the skimmer, it was easier to bite the bullet and cut the liner, whew no leaks lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Can you explain the depression a little more? Are you talking about a place in the pond where the edge is lower and an area where the water collect in which the pump draws from? Of course with some sort of leave basket. Is this correct? Sort of a built in skimmer.
Thanks
icewaterdon

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think they made up a skimmer to put there or bought one .They just tucked the liner around the depression and then set the skimmer in the lined depression .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My guess would be the depression allowed water to flow to the skimmer box, with the skimmer sitting in it able to drawn in the water. The skimmer weir needs to be 1/2 way covered with water, if you use a "normal" type skimmer.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hello, I was thinking of using one of these http://fancykoioutle...mmer_inpond.htm pond skimmers. Any thoughts or ideas? Even DIY skimmers???

I am thinking this route in case I would need to move the skimmer to another location after the pond is build for better skimming. Also not crazy about cutting the liner. I also would connect an in the pond bottom drain with a valve to that I would turn on when the bottom needs cleaned.
Thanks
icewaterdon
Is there a reason you fill you need a skimmer or want a skimmer .Most times that is just to pick up floating stuff on the top of the water and keeps it there and then pumps the water up to the waterfall .I have no need for one so figure why go through that I did get one of those floating pool skimmers clearanced out at big lots that is for an intex pool and my neighbor bought it from me and is using it and she likes it .It just hangs off the side of her pond .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You want a bottom drain ,that has to be done correctly also to make sure it does not leak and the ground has to be real settled and packed hard to make sure of that also .My pond after packing the bottom and tamping it good the liner on all sides sunk at least another 6 inches after i added the water .I marked the liner all the way around after a week because I thought i was loosing water ,thought i had a hole in the liner and then after checking realized the liner was just settling in and i have clay soil

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I had a pool for 10 plus years. I found that the skimmer was a very important part to keeping the pool clean. So, I just figured I would put one in the pond. As far as the bottom drain, it will be an in pond drain. I am going to put in a valve that I can either draw from the skimmer or the bottom. Similar concept that was set up in my pool. Again, the drain would only be used to clean out the fish poo.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oh ok and just make sure it has smaller holes or you need to give you a place to pick out sucked in baby fish or if you get snails them also .I had a baby fish die in my filter and never figured out how a pump could have sucked him in .He would have lived if he had not landed on top of the filter pad

Reaction score
Hello, I was thinking of using one of these http://fancykoioutle...mmer_inpond.htm pond skimmers.
Not my personal taste aesthetically not that it matters. It doesn't look too easy to clean, but I've never had one of these models.

Any thoughts or ideas? Even DIY skimmers???
I make my own skimmer, just a lot easier for me and I can shape it to what the pond/pump needs.
front.jpg

Reaction score
Where in Ohio?

That skimmer does seem like a nice idea for already made ponds.... if you are building a pond doing a conventional skimmer box would probably be easier to maintain due to being on the side of the pond and also having a larger skimmer basket to collect stuff in. My skimmer boxes have a flaoting basket similar to the one in the video which keeps fish out of the basket.

Yes on the bottom drain, they really help keep the pond nice and clean. I hooked up a stock tank to my bottom drain to give a place for the crap to settle vs inside my main filter. Get a bottom drain that has a air diffuser on it, that will give you a lot more flow with the addition of a air pump.

I was also VERY nevous about cutting up my liner. I had someone locally who sells koi/filter & installs the stuff come by to help me install the skimmer box & bottom drain (Koi Toilet, cut the liner) ......

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Here is a video of the skimmer in action. The more I think about it, the more I like it. Portable, with 360 degree skimming. I also thought that connecting a bottom drain to it would be very simple and inexpensive. Oh, the skimmer itself is only around 80.00.

http://www.oase.ca/E...al_Aquaskim.htm
Where can you purchase this skimmer?

Ask a Question