pond start up and water parimeters.....

Reaction score
If you do it's easy to check for and easy to fix, but a little expensive. No more expensive then the damage a copper pipe with a pin hole in it would do though. That acidic water actually would eat holes in the pipe.

Half way fill a cup with water from the tap right after you put it in the cup. Stir it with a spoon every once in a while, when you think of it for 24 - 48 hours. Check the pH to see if it changed.
The reason for my problem was a deep well in an underground spring in limestone. Lack of oxygen made it acidic, once it aerated the true pH would show.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Squidhead said:
If you do it's easy to check for and easy to fix, but a little expensive. No more expensive then the damage a copper pipe with a pin hole in it would do though. That acidic water actually would eat holes in the pipe.

Half way fill a cup with water from the tap right after you put it in the cup. Stir it with a spoon every once in a while, when you think of it for 24 - 48 hours. Check the pH to see if it changed.
The reason for my problem was a deep well in an underground spring in limestone. Lack of oxygen made it acidic, once it aerated the true pH would show.

We just moved here, about a year now, you are giving me an answer to a problem we have had. Very few copper pipes here, thankfully, but the previous guy plumbed a bathroom in the basement with copper, I just taped (until we can replace) two pin holes. Was trying to figure out why we were getting holes in copper.

I will check for the ph swing with my spa test strip.

And if it is swinging, let me know your fix!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Squidhead said:

We just moved here, about a year now, you are giving me an answer to a problem we have had. Very few copper pipes here, thankfully, but the previous guy plumbed a bathroom in the basement with copper, I just taped (until we can replace) two pin holes. Was trying to figure out why we were getting holes in copper.

I will check for the ph swing with my spa test strip.

And if it is swinging, let me know your fix!

Ask a Question