pond start up and water parimeters.....

Reaction score
digginponds said:
sorry I suppose I have healthy fish.....when I added the fish from the 400gallon,to the 1200 gallon,I did no treatment to the water............mmmmmmmm,seem to be swimmin,and fine to me......But then again these fish were born in my 3000 gallon pond up North.
Also the market companies want ya to buy there stuff.Trust me Illinois is the largest Pond supply state in the whole USA.I've heard every excuse to use chemicals,bla,bla,bla

Diggin, I'm glad your fish are alive and doing fine. What I'm saying is if you don't know what your water supply is using for disinfection don't assume because someone got away with it, you will. I don't base my information on advertising and never said I did. Go to your state or national EPA site or Science departments of major universities and search water science or try similar ethical reliable sources and see if you make the same judgement on the issue. It's your pond and your decision do what you want but, a fact is a fact!

You can smoke 2 packs of cigarettes a day and maybe never get cancer, you wont have the lung capacity or be healthier, but you might live a full life....or you might just die! you can speed in your car all your life and never get a ticket or you could speed once and get nailed. Then of course theres Russian roulette....

Reaction score
digginponds said:
sorry I suppose I have healthy fish.....when I added the fish from the 400gallon,to the 1200 gallon,I did no treatment to the water............mmmmmmmm,seem to be swimmin,and fine to me......But then again these fish were born in my 3000 gallon pond up North.
Also the market companies want ya to buy there stuff.Trust me Illinois is the largest Pond supply state in the whole USA.I've heard every excuse to use chemicals,bla,bla,bla

Diggin, I'm glad your fish are alive and doing fine. What I'm saying is if you don't know what your water supply is using for disinfection don't assume because someone got away with it, you will. I don't base my information on advertising and never said I did. Go to your state or national EPA site or Science departments of major universities and search water science or try similar ethical reliable sources and see if you make the same judgement on the issue. It's your pond and your decision do what you want but, a fact is a fact!

You can smoke 2 packs of cigarettes a day and maybe never get cancer, you wont have the lung capacity or be healthier, but you might live a full life....or you might just die! you can speed in your car all your life and never get a ticket or you could speed once and get nailed. Then of course theres Russian roulette....

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
I didn't assume anything,this is what I've done with all 14 ponds I have built.................... I realize the danger in water,like well water hard water.....precaution is a good thing,just not for my fish,considering I know where my water comes from. Gotta remember some of those chemicals can cause CANCER,kill your plant life etc.Just like adding peroxide to kill string algae,sure it kills it,but it also irritates the fish gills.....catch22,catch22
Each to there own pond,my friends

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
I didn't assume anything,this is what I've done with all 14 ponds I have built.................... I realize the danger in water,like well water hard water.....precaution is a good thing,just not for my fish,considering I know where my water comes from. Gotta remember some of those chemicals can cause CANCER,kill your plant life etc.Just like adding peroxide to kill string algae,sure it kills it,but it also irritates the fish gills.....catch22,catch22
Each to there own pond,my friends

Reaction score
To be clear, I wasn't saying you are assuming. What I meant was don't assume because someone doesn't use a dechlor it will be OK for you. Every water company uses different amounts of chlorine and/or chloramine. It can vary from .5ppm to 3.0ppm of just chlorine.

If anyone is interested-

People can go to www.epa.gov and see if you can get your areas water treatment report online here is a link to the EPA's FAQ's on Chloramine http://www.epa.gov/safewater/disinfection/chloramine/pdfs/chloramine2.pdf
There are a number of other things you can come up with if you search. Use the sites from universities and government agencies.

Reaction score
To be clear, I wasn't saying you are assuming. What I meant was don't assume because someone doesn't use a dechlor it will be OK for you. Every water company uses different amounts of chlorine and/or chloramine. It can vary from .5ppm to 3.0ppm of just chlorine.

If anyone is interested-

People can go to www.epa.gov and see if you can get your areas water treatment report online here is a link to the EPA's FAQ's on Chloramine http://www.epa.gov/safewater/disinfection/chloramine/pdfs/chloramine2.pdf
There are a number of other things you can come up with if you search. Use the sites from universities and government agencies.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have a well so no chlorine! yippe one less thing to think of. if we have fish that is

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have a well so no chlorine! yippe one less thing to think of. if we have fish that is

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
Squidhead said:

If anyone is interested-

good info:arrow::yikesu:

Squidhead said:
To be clear, I wasn't saying you are assuming. gottcha!

I suppose in smaller towns water is a issue,here in the 3rd largest city in the USA,our water supply is great......Heck I can take fred out of the pond put him in a glass of water and he'll just swim,lucky me huh?

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
Squidhead said:

If anyone is interested-

good info:arrow::yikesu:

Squidhead said:
To be clear, I wasn't saying you are assuming. gottcha!

I suppose in smaller towns water is a issue,here in the 3rd largest city in the USA,our water supply is great......Heck I can take fred out of the pond put him in a glass of water and he'll just swim,lucky me huh?

Reaction score
addy1 said:

For the most part wells are usually the best. I had one that was great, once I figured it out. Before that caused nothing but trouble for fish. Water came out of the well

Reaction score
addy1 said:

For the most part wells are usually the best. I had one that was great, once I figured it out. Before that caused nothing but trouble for fish. Water came out of the well

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lol well if we have fish it will be bass, sun fish, or something, this is more of a nature pond. Will test for the swing, maybe that is why the water changes in the spa are a pita.

Thanks for the info.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lol well if we have fish it will be bass, sun fish, or something, this is more of a nature pond. Will test for the swing, maybe that is why the water changes in the spa are a pita.

Thanks for the info.

Reaction score
If you do it's easy to check for and easy to fix, but a little expensive. No more expensive then the damage a copper pipe with a pin hole in it would do though. That acidic water actually would eat holes in the pipe.

Half way fill a cup with water from the tap right after you put it in the cup. Stir it with a spoon every once in a while, when you think of it for 24 - 48 hours. Check the pH to see if it changed.
The reason for my problem was a deep well in an underground spring in limestone. Lack of oxygen made it acidic, once it aerated the true pH would show.

Ask a Question