pond start up and water parimeters.....

Reaction score
just filled pond anddont have any fish in yet , still installing stock tank filter but have skimmer to falls working, what should the water parimeters be for testing water? have only tested for phosphate wich was 0.25 and PH was 7.5 , also filled with city water and have not treated it with any dechlorinater yet. was reading some on addition of bactieria when i add fish ,could pond be cycled naturally with just 2 or three fish or is this a bad idea?

Reaction score
If you haven't bought a dechlorinator yet I would suggest "Pond Prime" by Seachem. It is an excellent dechlor and is the most cost effective I've found. Most others dechlor about 10,000 G for the price of one 2L bottle of Prime that dechlors 40,000 G.
As far as "bacteria in a bottle" try it if you want, I have never had any luck with them personally and with testeing a few different ones. A few fish will cycle the tank, this is the way it has been done for years. It is not my favorite way anymore using ammonia instead of fish will do it too, you have to have patience and/or someone with a healthy pond that will give you some of their filter media to seed your filter. This way you can add fish slowly without as much concern as ammonia poisoning.
Other tests that are helpful are ammonia, it's almost a must for first establishing your pond.

PS3

Reaction score
go to the pest store and buy some feeder gold fish and feed them every day.
this will ge the pond started and get the dechlorinator before puting the fish in
get like 10 to 15 fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you haven't bought the dechlorinator and don't have chloramines in your water supply get some Sodium thiosulphate it's cheap .
With a new pond that doesn't have it's bio up to speed you could use a product like ClorAm-X that will remove, and thereby detoxify, ammonia, chlorine and chloramines from water

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I make my own declor using Sodium Thiosulphate as well. 4oz per gallon of distilled water is the formula I use.

Reaction score
was told by a pond and garden store that if i just let the newly filled pond run that the chlorine will evaperate in week or so , is this true or not ? thanks

Reaction score
was told by a pond and garden store that if i just let the newly filled pond run that the chlorine will evaperate in week or so , is this true or not ? thanks

Reaction score
mailman62 said:

Yes, that would be true. But that is chlorine only! Chloramine will not "evaporate". Chloramine needs to be removed by a good dechlor or activated carbon (AC) filtration. For effective AC filtration there is a minimum contact time with the AC media for it to work properly. You would need to contact your water company and ask if they are using chloramine. Sometimes you can go to the water companies website or your town or counties website for the info. Dechlor is inexpensive compared to other pond necessities. It would be silly to not use it. A $40 -$50 bottle of quality dechlor will detoxify 40,000 gallons of water. So after the initial fill a bottle will treat a 1000 gallon pond for 3 years with a weekly water change of 25%. If you do bi-weekly changes 6 years.

Reaction score
mailman62 said:

Yes, that would be true. But that is chlorine only! Chloramine will not "evaporate". Chloramine needs to be removed by a good dechlor or activated carbon (AC) filtration. For effective AC filtration there is a minimum contact time with the AC media for it to work properly. You would need to contact your water company and ask if they are using chloramine. Sometimes you can go to the water companies website or your town or counties website for the info. Dechlor is inexpensive compared to other pond necessities. It would be silly to not use it. A $40 -$50 bottle of quality dechlor will detoxify 40,000 gallons of water. So after the initial fill a bottle will treat a 1000 gallon pond for 3 years with a weekly water change of 25%. If you do bi-weekly changes 6 years.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
sorry I suppose I have healthy fish.....when I added the fish from the 400gallon,to the 1200 gallon,I did no treatment to the water............mmmmmmmm,seem to be swimmin,and fine to me......But then again these fish were born in my 3000 gallon pond up North.
Also the market companies want ya to buy there stuff.Trust me Illinois is the largest Pond supply state in the whole USA.I've heard every excuse to use chemicals,bla,bla,bla

Attachments

• 8 104.jpg
    8 104.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 287
  • addedfish&watersameday.jpg
    addedfish&watersameday.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 313

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
sorry I suppose I have healthy fish.....when I added the fish from the 400gallon,to the 1200 gallon,I did no treatment to the water............mmmmmmmm,seem to be swimmin,and fine to me......But then again these fish were born in my 3000 gallon pond up North.
Also the market companies want ya to buy there stuff.Trust me Illinois is the largest Pond supply state in the whole USA.I've heard every excuse to use chemicals,bla,bla,bla

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have chlorine free well water.

Your fish look great diggin

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins