Pond Utopia

Reaction score
I had to share this video simply because it is such a rare sight (in my pond anyway).
I have both frogs and turtles in my pond and normally they avoid each other the best they can, but today I found a frog and a turtle basking side by side as though they were old friends. It is such a rare sight I had to get the camera and capture some video.
I get a kick out of the other turtle in the video too, it takes a bit of skill to climb out on that narrow piece of driftwood, but he seems to like it there cause he has been climbing out on that same spot everyday for the last week or so.
enjoy

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Mucky, cool video, amazing that one turtle can get so far out on the end of that driftwood. Got a question, Is that you flying the Ultra glide and hang glider in your other youtube videos? Those are cool! I've flown in many kinds of aircraft but never one of those. Looks like fun, Even if I do have fear of heights. LOL

Reaction score
Thanks all

Yep that's me Larkin. I've flown hang gliders since I was 17 years old and owned 3 ultralight aircraft, including the one you see in those videos. The ultralight you see in the videos is a light soaring trike, meaning it is designed to soar like a hang glider with the engine off, although I usually spend more time with the engine on then I do soaring. Sadly I have made the decision to sell it, because I really haven't been using it enough to justify having the money tied up in it when that money could be used elsewhere. But yeah, it's a blast to fly. Not quite as much fun as flying hang gliders, but much better for cruising around sight seeing and a lot more convenient.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My frogs and turtle have the same relationship; the turtle ignores the frog as long as she can't reach it. Since water turtles can only eat UNDER water, basking means no conflict, as your vid shows. (had the same happen to me, earlier this summer).

As always, really nice vid, Mucky; I find your videography inspiring. Though, I WAS waiting for some sort of catchy water soundtrack this time...the sound of the falls is good too, though...

Wait till the turtle gets bigger; that basking spot will belong only to the frog, I bet!

Michael

Reaction score
My frogs and turtle have the same relationship; the turtle ignores the frog as long as she can't reach it. Since water turtles can only eat UNDER water, basking means no conflict, as your vid shows. (had the same happen to me, earlier this summer).

As always, really nice vid, Mucky; I find your videography inspiring. Though, I WAS waiting for some sort of catchy water soundtrack this time...the sound of the falls is good too, though...

Wait till the turtle gets bigger; that basking spot will belong only to the frog, I bet!
Michael
Normally my frogs will jump away any time they see one of the turtles getting too close, unless it's a big frog and a small turtle, in which case the frog may try to eat the turtle. The later scenario has been my biggest concern. In the video the two comrades are pretty close to the same size which is likely why there was no conflict.
My pond is not very big and i don't think it would accommodate even one adult size turtle, let alone four of them. My plan is as the turtles grow too large for my pond I will release them back where they came and find some new hatchlings. Hopefully this will minimize some of the conflicts between the critters.

Yeah I have gotten a little lazy lately with the video sound tracks. It's easy to add the sound tracks, but more often than not youtube will block the video when I use some copyright music and I have to go through an appeal proccess which takes more time and is just not worth it for a little video like that.

Michael have you posted pictures of your frogs and turtles?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Thanks all

Yep that's me Larkin. I've flown hang gliders since I was 17 years old and owned 3 ultralight aircraft, including the one you see in those videos. The ultralight you see in the videos is a light soaring trike, meaning it is designed to soar like a hang glider with the engine off, although I usually spend more time with the engine on then I do soaring. Sadly I have made the decision to sell it, because I really haven't been using it enough to justify having the money tied up in it when that money could be used elsewhere. But yeah, it's a blast to fly. Not quite as much fun as flying hang gliders, but much better for cruising around sight seeing and a lot more convenient.
My dad was a pilot in the Army for many years, when he retired and started working in the INS. company he bought a small cessna and would take me up flying. I think I was maybe 12 or 13 when he let me fly it the first time. (ONLY flight, no landing or taking off) As his Ins. company grew he bought a small Leer jet that I got to go up in a few times and he let me take the stick when it was just me and him. I never went to take flying lessons or learned how to land. but It's probably one of the fondest moments I can remember spending with my Dad. He's passed away now, and as I watched the video, it reminded me of those flights. I did do a little hang gliding behind a boat for a while. Then as I got older and started working offshore I got to fly in several kinds of helicopters. I think the hang gliding is probably one of my favorite ways, Quite, peaceful, and you really feel like a soaring bird. Although I never have done it without a ski rope I think I would enjoy it. lol, That was probably 25 years ago, I may not anymore....LOL Very cool spot to fly in the video, the mountains and landscape are simply beautiful. Thanks for the memory Jog, Not a whole lot of memories that I am fond of between My Dad and I, Nice to watch the video and remember some of the Good times....

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Larkin
Taking the stick of a Leer Jet! now that's pretty cool. My Father was a truck driver and he let take the wheel of his big rig once, but that hardly compares.
I've never flown in a helicopter, but I have flow RC helicopters before and all the (real) helicopter pilots I have met who have tried flying RC helicopters say it's much harder to fly RC choppers, so I guess I have the skills to fly a real one. LOL

I have flown some conventional planes, but hang gliding was a childhood dream of mine, even before I knew what it was. When I was very young I use have dreams of flying where I would just run a long the ground and take off and glide over the trees and houses. The dreams were quite vivid and the experience was very exhilarating, so much so it would sometimes wake me up, and I couldn't wait to get back to sleep and do it again. It wasn't until I was in my mid teens that the sport of hang gliding came to my attention, as soon as I saw it I knew that's what I wanted (needed) to do. I actually purchased my first hang glider before I had my drivers licence and had to get an older friend with a truck to bring it home for me, despite my mother, who forbid me from bringing it home. There were a few small hills nearby that me and another friend tried to fly it from, but we didn't have much success, which as I look back on it now, is pretty understandable. Two totally inexperienced kids who had almost no clue what we were doing, it's just a good thing those hills weren't really big enough to fly from.
Anyway, I eventually got my drivers licence and a small truck so I could haul the hang glider to some real hills (true story) and met up with some (real) hang glider pilots and took lessons, and as they say, the rest is history.

You mention the peacefulness of hang gliding, and certainly it has it's peaceful moments, but its the BIG AIR (as we call it) that often makes for the most unforgettable memories.
After the initial thrill of launching off a hill and gliding back down to the Earth you start looking for ways to stay up longer or climb higher, and around here that usually means thermal soaring. There are places where you can ridge soar, where you take advantage of the wave of lifting air as it rides over a hill or ridge. This can be fun and also some of the most "relaxing" hang gliding, especially if it is ocean ridge soaring, but you are usually confined to a small lift band close to the ridge. With thermal soaring you have a lot more potential to go higher and farther, the sky is the limit as they say. Thing is thermals only form in unstable air, and unstable air means turbulence. The trick is to find air that is moderately unstable, but not too unstable. Not unstable enough and you won't find any lift after you launch and you'll quickly be on the ground again in no time. Too unstable and you'll find plenty of lift, but you may be changing your underwear after you land or, as has happened in some of the worst case scenarios, you get sucked up to 30,000 ft in a cumulonimbus cloud and get stuck by lightning or frozen to death, which of course is not relaxing at all. lol
Many commercial pilots say that most flying is 99.9% pure boredom, and .1% shear terror. I have never found that ratio to quite fit to hang gliding, my experience puts the ratio more like 99% pure excitement and slightly higher shear terror factor of about 1%.
Unfortunately hang gliding is a fading sport, the average age of a hang glider pilot now is close to 50. The reason being is that the new sport of "paragliding" captures most of the young blood and us hang gliding dinosaurs (i'm 53) account for a good majority of people still hang gliding. An interesting fact, I got into the sport quite young so many of the people who I met (who are still flying), were older than me then and are in their 60s and 70s now.
I'd love to relate some hang gliding stories, but this is a pond forum, so I guess I better quit while I'm ahead. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Mucky;

in the 'Frogs Only' thread, one which grew quite large btw, I related my 'turtle and frog' experience. Makes for some grins and such, so hop on over and sift through until you find my entry. I used to have two turtles (both female RES, but one got too aggressive and she was released where I found her as a hatchling--just as you plan on doing!) but now only one remains. I'm leaving her on the side where all the new baby gf are growing up, wondering if this relationship can continue whereby both sets of critters co-exist. I'm hoping then, that next summer, I can remove my divider and the turtle and fish can have the full run of the place. We'll see. I'm not raising snacks for the RES, though so far, I haven't seen any missing fish I can confirm were there the day before. I did like watching how your hatchlings do just fine with your fish. I was even thinking I might do something similar and release the last adult female in exchange, but am worried I might get a hatchling or two that might be more tempted to go after the fish, be they fry or adults. So far, this last female is minding her manners.

And I know what you mean re Youtube; had a promo vid for my next latest greatest and used someone else's song for a soundtrack. I got the same warning but they allow it because they then can add 'advertisement' to the viewing, which is okay since anyone can simply click the ad off. But they didn't 'stop' me as you're indicating. Maybe they changed policy?

Normally my frogs will jump away any time they see one of the turtles getting too close, unless it's a big frog and a small turtle, in which case the frog may try to eat the turtle. The later scenario has been my biggest concern. In the video the two comrades are pretty close to the same size which is likely why there was no conflict.

My pond is not very big and i don't think it would accommodate even one adult size turtle, let alone four of them. My plan is as the turtles grow too large for my pond I will release them back where they came and find some new hatchlings. Hopefully this will minimize some of the conflicts between the critters.

Yeah I have gotten a little lazy lately with the video sound tracks. It's easy to add the sound tracks, but more often than not youtube will block the video when I use some copyright music and I have to go through an appeal proccess which takes more time and is just not worth it for a little video like that.

Michael have you posted pictures of your frogs and turtles?

Ask a Question