Pond vacuum??

Reaction score
So, how do these vacuums work? Are they basically a shop vac with added features? If so, what is the difference? Do you end up sucking a lot of pond water out? Basically a partial water change?

The oasis pond vac actions just like a wet dry vac except it has two chambers in the body with two float switches. So when the one side fills up it toggles to the other side. At that point the first side is draining as the second side fills. Back and forth it goes. You could use a wet dry vac but would have to stop and drain it constantly.

They do pull plenty of water out with the junk but since you are for the most part targeting what you want out .. they seem efficient. A partial water change is good anyway.

I end up putting my fishing net at the end of the waste hose to catch the leaves and big stuff to easily toss into the garden. The rest of the muck can get hosed into the lawn.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
With rocks in the pond the net won't work,

Sorry - we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. (Unless by rocks you mean big rocks and not gravel.) I use a pool net in my gravel bottomed pond all the time without issue. And this might be a dumb question, but why is your pond so dirty? Does it get that dirty every winter?

Reaction score
Sorry - we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. (Unless by rocks you mean big rocks and not gravel.) I use a pool net in my gravel bottomed pond all the time without issue. And this might be a dumb question, but why is your pond so dirty? Does it get that dirty every winter?
Yes it gets filthy every winter. No matter how I attach the net leaves blow under it. I have 45 feet of stream bed that although I cover it still seems to get filled which in turn get into the pond. The edge of the pond is surrounded by sedum and rocks and things get under that. Not just leaves but seeds and nuts and stringy things from the black walnut trees. Then there is the fine dirt in the air from the farm next to me that gets blown around in the fall and spring when the plowing starts, It's a real mess. Then there is the algae. For that the UV light works it's magic. Within 10 days of opening the water is crystal clear. The only area that I can't really clean is the end near the skimmer with the rocks in it. Hence my statement that you can't clean the bottom if there are rocks in it. Been there done that and don't recommend rocks.

Reaction score
Looking at the muck discharged out onto your lawn is quite impressive. It may have convinced me that vacuums are far superior over a net and might just be worth it.
They do work and that muck is only a tiny fraction of what gets taken out. But and it's a big BUT you have to be willing to spend the time cleaning out the big stuff before you start. Think about vacuuming your carpet without first picking up the toys or sweeping out your garage without moving the everything out. Also, the construction of the pond makes a big difference. It's not like cleaning out a swimming pool where the bottom and sides are nice and smooth. In order to really work you need to keep the vacuum head as close to the bottom as possible, Easier said than done especially if the pond is deep or murky or both.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yes it gets filthy every winter.

Thanks for explaining!

I think this is such a perfect example of why every pond has to be handled so differently - what will work in one pond would be useless in another. The construction, the surrounding plants, the surrounding landscape - all have a bearing on what challenges you can face. A pond vac would be superfluous for my pond as we never get any muck build up, but my feelings would be completely different if I had your situation to address every spring.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am going to build this one I designed this week. A venturi vacuum that will use the pond water for the lift and filters all going back into the pond.
PondVacDesign.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
I got one of these, and it works surprisingly well. just hook a garden hose to it, and start sucking up debris. Dump the net every so often, and throw back all the critters that may get sucked up.
vacuum.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you have rocks on the bottom then forget the vacuum it just won't work
While it is true rocks make it a challenge to use a vacuum i totally disagree that it just wont . Anyone who has seen my pond know it has rock in it alright but a very quick and simple adjustment and i vac the pond , What works for me and i have 3/4 to 2" rock down there is You could tape two FINGERS they are about 5: long and they stick out past the end of the vacuum 1 1/2" they are at say 7 and 5 o'clock. now i run the fingers across the gravel at an angle and it does occasionally pick up a rock or two or three. it can be a challenge and aggravating at times having to clear the rock jamb but the advantage to removing the muck the leaves the tomorrows string algae is well work the work. I bout the big Matala pond vac the yellow one and while it works great with some stuff something like a pine cone yeah your going to need a net or put a narrow opening on the vac and pick them up with the vac as it clogs the end. Matala has no problem with maple leaves and others but hard woods like oaks they can take some work to get them to fold up and get sucked up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have to agree two people can have the exact same pond and water conditions and have completely different end results. If one empties the skimmer basket every couple of days and the other when they see it backing up the organics can be drastically different and algae takes over. Ok so it's not that drastic but it over time it sure could be

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
With rocks in the pond the net won't work, for that matter, the vacuum won't work.

Looking at your vacuum i would tend to agree i would not even think about using that in a pond with rock. That is a concrete or smooth liner design for sure. You get what you pay for fortunately for me i could never use that in my pond as it's to wide and deep. So that was never an option for me. The vac i did get was not cheap but one thing construction has taught me is you buy cheap tools you will spend more time doing the task. Not a fan of spending hours and hours vacuuming. this one works well for much small leaves but for oak leaves and suck it can be trying as it can be a battle to get them into the hose once in they get sucked up just fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have a Vac. that needs to be emptied every 3 min. Does anyone have one that will discharge the water out of the pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a Vac. that needs to be emptied every 3 min. Does anyone have one that will discharge the water out of the pond?
yes the
yes I have this one its hardly cheap so far so good it has a few hours on it . yes it empties its self of the dirty water but the large leaves etc you suck up gets caught in a mesh bag it has to be emptied like every 20 min or depending how dirty your pond is https://webbsonline.com/Item/MPC-VA...Kf2lnxSi_IDdTg0SPQeUPFaUdmvpuVgwaAoc1EALw_wcB

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States

Ask a Question