sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just pushed the hose up threw it .Farm stores like tractor supply and stuff carry them also .The one I have is not advertised on harbor freight any more

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just pushed the hose up threw it .Farm stores like tractor supply and stuff carry them also .The one I have is not advertised on harbor freight any more
Can't find the one for 20 anywhere, all the ones I see are $50+

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This is an actual working well pump. Hard to say what modifications need to be made without knowing the configuration of the inner components.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Ok, what could prevent the green one from working just curious?

All hand pumps have two (2) separate check valves. A lower valve that is usually attached to the main pump body and an upper valve that is part of the pump's cylinder (which actually pumps the water). You may have no problem with the lower valve but your pump will need to be of sufficient size to effectively get the water past the cylinder check valve. Without knowing the exact configuration of the inner workings of a hand pump (knowing manufacturers I am sure that there are differences), it is hard to determine what size pump is needed. What is the GPH of your current pump?
To be honest, I have had little experience using these pumps as a pond adjunct. I have mainly constructed waterfalls.
Perhaps someone else will jump in and offer their thoughts.

Reaction score
Country
United States
All hand pumps have two (2) separate check valves. A lower valve that is usually attached to the main pump body and an upper valve that is part of the pump's cylinder (which actually pumps the water). You may have no problem with the lower valve but your pump will need to be of sufficient size to effectively get the water past the cylinder check valve. Without knowing the exact configuration of the inner workings of a hand pump (knowing manufacturers I am sure that there are differences), it is hard to determine what size pump is needed. What is the GPH of your current pump?
To be honest, I have had little experience using these pumps as a pond adjunct. I have mainly constructed waterfalls.
Perhaps someone else will jump in and offer their thoughts.
My pump is 500gph, but I could get more powerful, so are you saying if I buy more powerful I could get more water through and then it will work? Is it a matter of the hand crank pump not working or is it more of a matter of if my automatic water pump is powerful enough to push the water up?

Also, are there any basic waterfall kit recommendations you can give for under 60$? Just curious.

What recommended pump can you recommend to me as a good size to get water through it, just as a rough estimate? You could even give me a size span (eg. 600-1000gph, etc)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Maybe you could be a little more specific about what you are looking for, because I'm getting confused. You started out with a $40 budget, and now you're up to $60..... And you keep repeating your question, asking for recommendations for a basic waterfall kit.....even after you get responses. Are you just simply looking for something that will place the water back in the pond? Are you looking for rocks for the water to fall over? Are you looking for something decorative, or are you looking for something functional? Are you looking for a plastic pool? You say you're not looking for a pump, then you are looking for a pump.....to possibly move water through a "pump feature".....both of which will take you over your budget. Again, I'm just confused.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Maybe you could be a little more specific about what you are looking for, because I'm getting confused. You started out with a $40 budget, and now you're up to $60..... And you keep repeating your question, asking for recommendations for a basic waterfall kit.....even after you get responses. Are you just simply looking for something that will place the water back in the pond? Are you looking for rocks for the water to fall over? Are you looking for something decorative, or are you looking for something functional? Are you looking for a plastic pool? You say you're not looking for a pump, then you are looking for a pump.....to possibly move water through a "pump feature".....both of which will take you over your budget. Again, I'm just confused.

Your right, my apologies for the confusion.

So I ordered one of these today: http://www.ebay.com/itm/252394542702?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

My question is now what will I need to do to turn this into a nice waterfall? I have 2 pumps a 500 gph and a 150gph pump, which I would prefer to use the 150gph pump on this as the 500 gph pump is for something else. I am opening to buying stronger pumps if I need. I am open to another spending of 40$ max more from here on out, but my big thing is do I need anything more than the pumps I have?

Will the pump hoses go in and will it be a waterfall or is there more I need to make it be a waterfall? What pump could I use? Could I use the 150gph one or do I need to use the other one or even a bigger pump?

If this will not work at all, I can return it, but what other types of waterfalls could I go for using a spillway and rocks, I would like the kit to include the waterfall base structure with rocks to cover, etc.?

Overall, my big thing is will just the pump and the thing I bought work if I run the hose up it?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Your right, my apologies for the confusion.

So I ordered one of these today: http://www.ebay.com/itm/252394542702?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

My question is now what will I need to do to turn this into a nice waterfall? I have 2 pumps a 500 gph and a 150gph pump, which I would prefer to use the 150gph pump on this as the 500 gph pump is for something else. I am opening to buying stronger pumps if I need. I am open to another spending of 40$ max more from here on out, but my big thing is do I need anything more than the pumps I have?

Will the pump hoses go in and will it be a waterfall or is there more I need to make it be a waterfall? What pump could I use? Could I use the 150gph one or do I need to use the other one or even a bigger pump?

If this will not work at all, I can return it, but what other types of waterfalls could I go for using a spillway and rocks, I would like the kit to include the waterfall base structure with rocks to cover, etc.?

Overall, my big thing is will just the pump and the thing I bought work if I run the hose up it?

I think that most of this was covered earlier in this thread, but just to reiterate---You will not find a true waterfall kit anywhere for less than $60.00. This is an example.
http://www.thepondoutlet.com/easypr...rce=googleps&gclid=CMqbj66GmM8CFVc9gQodsMAMUQ
The problem with this spillway is it is 12" wide. Your two (2) pumps together would not generate enough flow to provide any more than a dribble much less a waterfall.
Again concerning the hand pump, the pump size needed will depend on the configuration of the inner mechanism and on the materials used in the manufacture thereof, in particular the check valves. Diameter of the flow holes and the weight of the check valves will determine the flow rate and PSI needed to hold both check valves open during use. Lack of this information limits making any real determination on adequate pump size.
It can not be explained any other way. Your 150 gph pump is most definitely too small for any appreciable flow even if you could make it work, which I seriously doubt. Your 500 gph might work, but I would think that even it would be 'iffy'.
I can offer no further assistance.

Ask a Question