Pond Waterfall Ideas

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think that most of this was covered earlier in this thread, but just to reiterate---You will not find a true waterfall kit anywhere for less than $60.00. This is an example.
http://www.thepondoutlet.com/easypr...rce=googleps&gclid=CMqbj66GmM8CFVc9gQodsMAMUQ
The problem with this spillway is it is 12" wide. Your two (2) pumps together would not generate enough flow to provide any more than a dribble much less a waterfall.
Again concerning the hand pump, the pump size needed will depend on the configuration of the inner mechanism and on the materials used in the manufacture thereof, in particular the check valves. Diameter of the flow holes and the weight of the check valves will determine the flow rate and PSI needed to hold both check valves open during use. Lack of this information limits making any real determination on adequate pump size.
It can not be explained any other way. Your 150 gph pump is most definitely too small for any appreciable flow even if you could make it work, which I seriously doubt. Your 500 gph might work, but I would think that even it would be 'iffy'.
I can offer no further assistance.

Would you mind telling me one thing though? Would a 1000gph pump get the job done likely?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Would you mind telling me one thing though? Would a 1000gph pump get the job done likely?
Probably, but you will create another problem with this size pump. You will be completely turning-over the water in your 55 gallon tub approximately once every 3 minutes. I know that this is likely to set up a continuous water velocity that will certainly stress your Goldfish. I can't imagine what it would do to minnows.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Probably, but you will create another problem with this size pump. You will be completely turning-over the water in your 55 gallon tub approximately once every 3 minutes. I know that this is likely to set up a continuous water velocity that will certainly stress your Goldfish. I can't imagine what it would do to minnows.

Ok, I see what you are saying

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It sounds like you are looking for something more along the lines of a "spitter," rather than a waterfall. For a pond that small, you could even get something like a watering can from a garden center -- the kind with a pour spout -- and rig your tubing so the water flows into the can and out the spout. As far as proportions for a smaller body of water, and pump flow, this would probably work better. For that matter, you could even make a DIY spitter with PVC pipe. I have 3 in my pond that I made.

BTW, where is your pump?

Reaction score
Country
United States
It sounds like you are looking for something more along the lines of a "spitter," rather than a waterfall. For a pond that small, you could even get something like a watering can from a garden center -- the kind with a pour spout -- and rig your tubing so the water flows into the can and out the spout. As far as proportions for a smaller body of water, and pump flow, this would probably work better. For that matter, you could even make a DIY spitter with PVC pipe. I have 3 in my pond that I made.

BTW, where is your pump?

Yeah, I just ordered the thing off ebay yesterday, so I would like to use that also because it looks nice with my garden.

So, do you think I should get a bigger tub? If so what are some relatively cheap good tubs, my other thing is, i just want to get my new hand crank pitcher pump to work as a waterfall, so i am just wondering what else i will need to buy to make it work, e.g,: new 1000gph pump, etc. so would a pump like this push water through it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/111717614536

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just took the insides out it was easy a few screws and removed the plunger part and done .I forgot northern tool .You can type in the name of a hand pump and you can find specs on how it is put together and even saw a couple on you tube .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
more than enough water I used a 350 gph cheap pump from harbor freight .I used hose from lowes and it was sold by the foot and only needed 2 feet ,it just needs to fit the pump .I got my stock tank from tractor supply .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
more than enough water I used a 350 gph cheap pump from harbor freight .I used hose from lowes and it was sold by the foot and only needed 2 feet ,it just needs to fit the pump .I got my stock tank from tractor supply .

Yes, with the inner components removed, 350 gph would be sufficient.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, with the inner components removed, 350 gph would be sufficient.

I wonder if I can keep the inner components in and just use a 1000gph pump.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you may need to lock the handle in the open position because vibration may close it .That was the main reason I took the insides out of mine .I didn't have time to keep an eye on it .So not sure .The insides on mine came out easy and I just stored them for future use if needed

Reaction score
Country
United States
you may need to lock the handle in the open position because vibration may close it .That was the main reason I took the insides out of mine .I didn't have time to keep an eye on it .So not sure .The insides on mine came out easy and I just stored them for future use if needed
I'm sure the insides are easy to take out, just wonder how I would lock it in place.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@thepondperson Do I understand that what you are talking about is a 50 [or so] gallon tub? And this waterfall/water pump feature is for this pond? Or do you have a larger body of water and I just missed that? I think you do need a larger tub or pond or stock tank. Imagine putting a coffee cup in your sink. Then turn the water faucet on full blast into the cup. For a 50 gallon tub and and a large output pump that might be what your pond will be like.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ok, what could prevent the green one from working just curious?
@thepondperson The green one is decorative only, and is for using in water gardens, like what you are apparently looking for. The red one, as @Meyer Jordan has pointed out, is a functional water pump. It is meant for pumping water [like from a well -- like you see on the old TV shows] and would have to be modified [IOW, the insides gutted] to work like the green one. @Meyer Jordan Did I get that right?

Reaction score
Country
United States
@thepondperson Do I understand that what you are talking about is a 50 [or so] gallon tub? And this waterfall/water pump feature is for this pond? Or do you have a larger body of water and I just missed that? I think you do need a larger tub or pond or stock tank. Imagine putting a coffee cup in your sink. Then turn the water faucet on full blast into the cup. For a 50 gallon tub and and a large output pump that might be what your pond will be like.
I am going to go with a slightly smaller pump 660-790 gph, but I have a question regarding ponds.

Of these two tubs, I actually need to get a new one as mine sprung a leak and it's old and worn out , so of these two which is better?

Or is there another one to recommend under $60?

https://www.amazon.com/Tuff-Stuff-P...74231087&sr=8-1&keywords=tuff+stuff+30+gallon

https://www.amazon.com/Behlen-Count...74231382&sr=8-8&keywords=galvanized+steel+tub

Reaction score
Country
United States
@thepondperson The green one is decorative only, and is for using in water gardens, like what you are apparently looking for. The red one, as @Meyer Jordan has pointed out, is a functional water pump. It is meant for pumping water [like from a well -- like you see on the old TV shows] and would have to be modified [IOW, the insides gutted] to work like the green one. @Meyer Jordan Did I get that right?

Just to make it clear I ordered this one, so I am going to get what else I need to make it work: https://www.amazon.com/Behlen-Count...74231382&sr=8-8&keywords=galvanized+steel+tub

Ask a Question