Pond Waterfall Ideas

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@thepondperson I thought you would go larger instead of smaller for a tub. This is what I would recommend. This is the 150 gal version, but they come smaller [and larger]. And there are other companies that make similar products that cost less. This is the Rubbermaid stock tank.

It seems you've already blown your budget anyway.

image.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
@thepondperson I thought you would go larger instead of smaller for a tub. This is what I would recommend. This is the 150 gal version, but they come smaller [and larger]. And there are other companies that make similar products that cost less. This is the Rubbermaid stock tank.

It seems you've already blown your budget anyway.

View attachment 95048

So i want to maybe downsize a bit for space so, are there any specific tubs 40-60 gal for under 60$ that are decent brands. Disregard my budget from before.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I think this is where you are going to.

2016_05_15_13_24_44.jpg

120 gallon tub, 300 GPH pump turned way down, attached to a hose shoved up through a hand pump (pulled the working guts out of it first) and bingo, water feature. I instructed my folks to put some batting over the pump insert and clean it when it looks dirty.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I like tuff stuff ones .They are made of recycled rubber and have straight sides .I have the rubber maid ones also .I also like the steel oval ones tractor supply has but they can keep the water looking bad

Attachments

• 100_7252.JPG
    100_7252.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 236
  • 100_7261.JPG
    100_7261.JPG
    243.5 KB · Views: 186

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I like the price also plus here monday night they have a 15% off coupon for in store

Attachments

• 100_8589.JPG
    100_8589.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 205
  • 100_8590.JPG
    100_8590.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 213
  • 100_8593.JPG
    100_8593.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 176
  • 100_8591.JPG
    100_8591.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 221
Reaction score
You could take a short length (as long as you want the falls to be) of 1 1/2 or 2" pvc pipe cap one end and drill some holes in it, space theses hole about 4" apart. Then take some smaller diameter pipe, say 1" pvc and cut off 2" pieces of it. Stick those pieces into the holes you drilled into the larger pipe. Put silicone around the pipes and let them set up. Hook up you pump hose to the open end of the larger pipe. This is how I have mine set up and it works fine. What you don't get is one solid flow of water like you would from a spillway.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You could take a short length (as long as you want the falls to be) of 1 1/2 or 2" pvc pipe cap one end and drill some holes in it, space theses hole about 4" apart. Then take some smaller diameter pipe, say 1" pvc and cut off 2" pieces of it. Stick those pieces into the holes you drilled into the larger pipe. Put silicone around the pipes and let them set up. Hook up you pump hose to the open end of the larger pipe. This is how I have mine set up and it works fine. What you don't get is one solid flow of water like you would from a spillway.
Thanks for this suggestion! I use [or try to use] PVC pipe for most of my pond applications. I have 3 DIY spitters, each connected to it's own pump -- and each is a slightly different design, using different sized pipe. Two of them are split, so there are 2 places for the water exit into the pond -- lots of extra surface water movement this way. Tubing, clamps, and various connector pieces are inexpensive and offer a wide variety of choices for however you want to design your feature. They can even be painted to blend in. Mine have never let me down!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, so I got the following:
Waterfall design:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252394542702?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

New tub:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OWGI4Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pump:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H05U6NS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a few lilies and plants. I am just wondering what else I will need. I have the tubing, etc. Do you guys know if there is anything else I need?

I know I would like a filter, can I get linked or told about the cheapest possible filtering mechanisms or what not? I just need the cheapest possible thing that can do basic filtering it doesn't need to be superb, I use to 3D print my filters, but I found it not working out, so I do have a firm budget on filters about under 15-20$.

Do you guys recommend gravel on the bottom of my stock tank tub? If not should I just layer rocks and leave it?

Reaction score
Country
United States
@thepondperson You've gotten lots of excellent suggestions from the folks here! I can't wait to see what you end up doing, so please remember to take pictures and post them here for us.
Yeah, I always love looking at other people's builds. I ended up buying the above based off of suggestions on pump sizes, waterfall styles, I will post my final pictures of my new build by the end of the week. I will also hopefully get some nice koi!

Ask a Question