Pondless Waterfall Aquatic Plants Suggestions Please?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I want to add some aquatic plants, but have zero knowledge and can't find a lot of definitive info. I wonder if someone could offer some suggestions?

I need some that will grow maybe 1' to 2' tall, as I'm wanting to place them in pooling areas below my cascades. This was a very steep hillside, and I wasn't able (long story) to navigate large enough framing rocks, so it looks a bit unnatural. I figure if I have some aquatics with height, it would help to mask the high cascade walls, and add some realism, if that makes sense.

I'm in SC, by the way. Thanks!

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
I would suggest planting bacopa monnieri as a low-growing marginal plant. You can plant a sprig of it straight into the gravel at the pond's edge, or in a crevice in the rock. So long as it's roots are in water, it will spread nicely. It's safe for fish to nibble on, and is a medicinal plant for humans (though it tastes really bitter). I see lots of people in the U.S. use creeping jenny in the same way, though I don't have any experience with it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would suggest planting bacopa monnieri as a low-growing marginal plant. You can plant a sprig of it straight into the gravel at the pond's edge, or in a crevice in the rock. So long as it's roots are in water, it will spread nicely. It's safe for fish to nibble on, and is a medicinal plant for humans (though it tastes really bitter). I see lots of people in the U.S. use creeping jenny in the same way, though I don't have any experience with it.
Thanks, but again, I'm needing something that will grow to a height of at least 1' or more?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hostas work surprisingly well in my pondless. I also used a native iris (though it didn't bloom), pickerel weed (which did bloom), mesh baskets full of Sunpatiens for color (if you have shade, you could use regular impatiens), lizard tail, and a dwarf papyrus. It looked cool but it's not really full enough to hide your edges.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hostas work surprisingly well in my pondless. I also used a native iris (though it didn't bloom), pickerel weed (which did bloom), mesh baskets full of Sunpatiens for color (if you have shade, you could use regular impatiens), lizard tail, and a dwarf papyrus. It looked cool but it's not really full enough to hide your edges.
Thanks, I'll check those out. I've had hostas where the waterfall is now, and they took a beating during the summer. The afternoon sun is brutal here in SC.

It also dawned on me after I started wanting to add some aquatics, that I'd decided this year to shut the pondless waterfall down completely for winter. Last year (the 1st one since building it) I tried to keep it running 24/7, only to wake one morning to a completely frozen waterfall! Apparently the flex pvc water had frozen, thus preventing water to flow uphill. It was a nightmare for a day or so, sorting all that out.

At any rate, the only other thing I've read about is folks bringing aquatic plants in during the winter. Seems like quite task perhaps, especially if plants have rooted onto the rocks?

Do you have any pictures of your plants within your pondless waterfall you can share?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Unfortunately I do not have pictures from last year. I was undergoing a major house renovation and I guess I was too busy to take photos outside.

I did find the attached link where I asked similar questions to yours this time last year, and there are some pictures there including @Lisak1 stunning pondless. That's where I got the idea for using the impatiens. Maybe it will help.

As for overwintering, I'm still new at it. The hosta I just popped back in the ground (some hostas are more sun tolerant, but I don't know about your SC climate). The pickerel weed, lizard tail, and iris I stuck in the ground between a downspout and the house for a microclimate, but I don't see any signs of them yet. It's too early here, but I would think in your climate, marginal plants might survive in a similar spot. These three are native here and should be hardy. I didn't have anything that was strictly aquatic. The papyrus and impatiens I'll have to replace this year as they're no where near hardy enough for Michigan and they're fairly cheap and easy to find.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have not ordered plants from them yet, plan to later this Spring, but I know quite a few people here order from Play it Koi, they have a lot of aquatic plants, marginals etc. You can see the descriptions and pictures of the plants. They also have a lot of blog posts which are informative.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have not ordered plants from them yet, plan to later this Spring, but I know quite a few people here order from Play it Koi, they have a lot of aquatic plants, marginals etc. You can see the descriptions and pictures of the plants. They also have a lot of blog posts which are informative.
Good info, thanks!

Ask a Question