Ponds in Canada

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I just love my big babies, they are not afraid of me at all, and I would sure miss them if anything ever happened to them! I cannot imagine them dying off during the winter, I keep a really close eye on them and am lucky the neighbor does not spray chemicals. I think the reason they are so friendly is cause the two biggest koi have never moved for many many years, where as the smaller koi in the middle pond, I had to net a few out this spring and put them in the top pond, and they are still afraid of me cause I was in there terrorizing them with the net a couple weeks ago.

The other fish in the bottom pond are back out now, I put the water fountain thing back and then they started to come out of hiding. The big koi in the top pond are never afraid, they are just too big for birds, snakes and even cats could not get them, as I think they may weigh more than some cats for sure!

Working in the front yard, got more rocks today and will cobble them tomorrow cause I have day off.

IMAG1809.jpg
IMAG1815.jpg
IMAG1766.jpg
IMAG1816.jpg
IMAG1808.jpg
IMAG1716.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Where do you find all your stuff Colleen? Do you just get out a lot to fairs or craft places? and when you see something you like you must just grab it up. All looks so cool!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thanks guys, I work hard and spend money like water! ha ha ha! I do get lots of the stuff from second had stores too, you can always find stuff there. I must admit that I have spent lots of money this year on metal garden art.
Storm is fast approaching, so I am going to lay down and comfort the Poppy till storm is gone.....

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
IMAG1851.jpg
Poppy snuggled me so close that I fell asleep for a hour or two. Poppy does that to me, she must be like the "sand Man", and thrown sand in my eyes...
Woke up and little storm was gone and everything was dry again, so I started to stain the fence a rustic farm red, cause I have lots of red in garden and I like red too. I decided to go red for the front and then the side fence will be plain clear stain to make hubby happy.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I painted it last night, missed a few cracks here and there so I am going to retouch it today after my afternoon shift at work, and have to move then gazabo and do around it to.

The fish in the bottom pond are back out and about, they seem to be not so afraid anymore, but the goldfish in the front yard pond are stilll scared for their life and hiding under rock cave.

Reaction score
Sissy: we get real hot weather too. Where I live the zone is semi-arid desert. Some summers are so hot that its above 100 and no rain some summers. The winters can be very brutally cold and harsh. Sometimes it gets down to -47 and its so cold that your tires in the car go "square" and your eyelashes freeze too.
I try to keep a good coverage of ice on the pond cause the snow will fall over top and insulate it better.

Comet Keith, thought about what you told me about the professionals changing their water all the time. They most likely keep lots of fish and do lots of shipping in and out so their ponds are maybe stocked to the limit. Wonder if your pro friend has any good sedges, like very large clumps of yellow flags. I find that these flags are very aggressive pond growers, and as such, require lots of extra nutrients. I used to work at a greenhouse and grew lots of different water plants, and this plant is a must for cleaning the pond. Yellow flag water iris can also be planted with no soil or pot. I find they do best that way, Just take a piece of the root and wedge it somewhere at the water level. This plant will grow so quick once established (2 or 3 years) that it can spread horizontally across the water and it will float' anchored only in one or two spots. My yellow flags grow 5 to 6 feet tall and they help shade the pond without smothering the pond. Lots of people tend to smother the pond with lillys and floaters. I keep my lillys in the bottom pond because the yellow flags are such big eaters that they tend to starve out the lillys. Below is some examples of a small yellow flag wedged into the side of pond and across is the large clump that floats
Is that a log spitter? with the water coming out of the knot?? Wow way cool!!! You have a good eye.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I found a log with a hole whle walking one day and turned it into a log with water coming from it! I see you are reading my early pages Lisaebetten. :)
I have been so busy working:woot: on staining fence with second coat, need to finish the other side and built the fence section with the tree in the way, finish the cobbing, weed, cut grass, clean house, shop, did I miss anything! Oh and work regular hours at work moving pellets, talk about hard labor! I think I am trying to do much, fingers are worn out!! Good thing it is not dark outside till after 10 PM!!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Got to cut grass right now, do laundry, get cleaned up and get suppies... then will be back to yard pulling weeds or something. Vegan sister brought me a salad nicely cut up for lunch, will need beef later or I will run out of energy...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
And all I did was go for a walk, did more net scooping in the pond, pulled a few weeds, put the plastic bottle lids(did have to make sure all the lids were scrubbed up a bit) in the waterfall filter so as to make it a bio-filter. You are a busy beaver compared to me Colleen and I get to lounge around all night cuz no more out of home job workie, workie for me

Ask a Question