I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hey they change color.............cool!
Everything looks so nice and fun.....................gosh you have a whole other home out there w/ all the conveniences :LOL:

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thanks JW! I live outside these days, house inside needs me but yard needs me more! There is only one of me and I also have to work so hard these days at work, stiff and sore from working so hard at work last night!

Just a update on my 50 year old Vegan sister and the soon to be baby! Well I think she will have baby fairly soon, I would say in the next month or so... She came walking down from the hill she lives on a couple days ago, she lives on "the hill", that is just what we call it, there are lots of hills, but that one is just referred to as "The Hill"! Anyway, when she popped by the other day, I looked right directly at her from the front, and I was like "where is the baby!!!" She looks so small from the front! I thought for a minute she was not pregnant anymore or something! But then she turned sideways... and there was the big bump! It does look much bigger these days and she appears very healthy and does look quite good! Got to get a good picture of her next time! She never stayed too long cause she was in a hurry or something. I think the baby is coming soon!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's nice that your sister lives so close she can walk to see you. Glad to hear she is looking good and healthy. Maybe she is sneaking in some extra good foods. You are going to be and aunty soon :)

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I got the front yard pond going, but now the caterpillar dung is falling into the ponds again, the leaves are just popped out on the trees but I swear the little Caterpillar's come at the same time. Same "shit" every year, they come just as the fresh leaves pop out and then the water in the ponds turn a darker brown then golden color. The caterpiller dung is not harmful and this happens every year since I first set up my ponds over 22 years ago. The water can turn quite dark. but clear, and then you cannot see to the bottom of ponds until the caterpiller's are done eating and turn into cocoons. Even the front yard pond that I just cleaned out and set up is turning brown!
IMAG1227.jpg
IMAG1221.jpg
IMAG1218.jpg
IMAG1219.jpg
When the caterpiller's come the fish start spawning and the plants really start to grow. The water will go back to normal then and all will be well!

Only had half a cup of coffee, not quite awake and Working on the front yard now...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep you look kinda tired in that pic. Take it easy or you will be getting sick again wearing yourself out w/ store work and home work. Pretty pink flowers. I wore myself out yesterday. Cleaned the pond w/ net and cleaned the filters. They were full of muck, working great! I know you are supposed to be able to take that inside core out but it is packed in there so tight I don't think I would ever get it back in once I got it out so I leave it in and just hose off the best I can. Have you ever taken out that inner core out of your filter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
IMG_20140515_124422_264.jpg
Hey Colleen, Here is a pic of some moss I started last year on my waterfall rocks. It came in really strong this year. I just basically stuck a bunch on my rocks last year that I found in my garden. I didn't put it in a blender and make anything fancy with it. Also I tried some mint in my pond last year after reading your thread about it. It didn't come back so i guess I will have to buy more this year. PS if you look closely you can see one of my green frogs sitting to the right of the sedges!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Colleen, I have a question for you about your Marsh Marigold.
Is it free floating or do you have it anchored?
I bought one in a 4 inch pot and I'm not sure if I should keep it in it or what.
Thanks.

CometKeith, what's that tree you have in a pot in your pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's a Hat Cyprus. Named that way because it's so short you can hang your hat on the top of it! It's a tropical and supposedly won't survive our harsh winters, but it keeps coming back every year.
I re-potted it last year because it kept getting knocked over.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I have the marsh marigold planted in the soft river muck Mitch, it is not like the large clump of floating yellow flag water iris that does float and is not planted in anything at all. Large sedges get so very large in nature that during a storm, they can break away in clumps and float to the other side of a lake, I read that somewhere...

JW, I am alive! Worked to death and not time to work myself over in the morning, so some mornings I am quite hagged! ha ha ha! I have taken the inner core out of my filters, some times when they are new the are very snug and you can just leave it and eventually it will be easier to remove. Just hose it off with a high pressure of water and that will be good for now.

Got a new red banana plant that should get really really big, here is some pictures from last night...

Sorry I have been so very busy gardening,
IMAG1400.jpg
IMAG1422.jpg
IMAG1400.jpg
IMAG1413.jpg
IMAG1357.jpg
and missed you guys on this forum!!!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Missed you too Colleen and all your lovely pix and video's of your Canada days. You have a lot of stuff blooming now and growing up nice and big.
I shall not tug that inner core out of my filter until it relaxes a bit. I would be afraid I would never get it back in there. Next time I am going to use a more powerful nozzle which will do the job quicker.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks great and yep things are really starting to grow now!
I need to clean my pre-filter again. I just cleaned it but I had so much gunk that it sucked a bunch more up and it's over loaded w/ muck now. It really works great!

Ask a Question