Ponds in Canada

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I just cannot stop myself! The dollar store is so much fun! Look at all the dollar store paper lanterns that light up with LED light and two AAA batteries. I drove hubby around and he bought me stuff for in the Gazebo by the pond. I love June, the days are so long, does not get dark till after 10:30 these days!
Just look at those cute little metal fence's with birds and houses and butterflies! That is just the sweetest little fence I seen in a long time, and keep's that fat Poppy out of there!
IMAG2268.jpg
IMAG2262.jpg
IMAG2273.jpg
IMAG2255.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I just don't know what you will do when you run out of room Colleen! You may have to invest in one of the properties next door to you. Love the nighttime glow from all those pretty lights. I see you even have a clear protective curtain to keep the rain out of your special woman cave :)

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I love my "woman cave" by my pond, it sit out there for hours and relax with a glass of wine or just a tea or coffee. The wind does not get me and the heavy clear plastic is a clear shower curtain that kept the wind and rain out better so I could still enjoy the gazebo.
I will not run out of room for all my junk any time soon, lots of the stuff gets old and I chuck it, plus I have a big back yard that you rarely see cause it is all grass and garden and hubby's junk cars back there. The kids all love it and I love it to, I like with whimsical fairy look, it pleases and makes the children in the neighborhood happy too! :)

Last night by the pond...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think it must stay lighter where you are then where we are cuz we are dark by 10pm. What neat idea's you come up w/ and the window idea is cool (y)
If my yellow flag grows as big a bunch as yours did I am going to need a bigger pond in a few years. Mine has definitely started making it's way out into the pond area now.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
JW I need some energy today!! Worked to death all weekend at work and finally getting around to taking the puppies to river and will get a nice Timmy coffee to get me going! I just was extra tried!

The further north you go, the longer the days are right now. Today the sun will set in Arlington at 9:13 pm, and in Medicine Hat, the sun sets at 9:36. but Mitch is even further north and his sun will set at 10:01pm! If you live even further north, like North of the 56th parallel, the sun really does not set completely, it just goes really low around the horizon till it rises again. When me and the hubby were up camping years ago way up in Northern Alberta, in the middle of no-where by the Alberta/BC border, the sun never really went down, and we had "twilight" all night!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Beautiful shots and I love that light w/ all the colors! Hope you get revived somehow w/more energy soon. For some reason my back is killing me right now. Got to go rev up the back massage cushion. Maybe I will bring it in to my computer room and attach it to my chair. Yep doing that right now. Ok all hooked up. This is an old one that I have and boy is it noisy but it sure feels good and has heat also.............ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :happy:

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
My good friend has back trouble too, she sits on a heating pad all the time, says that helps big time too.

Well all was good until we went to the park last night, by the time me and the hubby got back there was a notice on our door that said people in our area got sewer backup due to a sewage lift breakdown by the IXL plant by the river. We are fine, no sewer, but my next door neighbor was pumping stuff out of his basement and then he went out to the street and was beating on the street sewer drain with a shovel while I was filming this video this morning....

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Guess you just never know when that sewer problem will hit around there. This time not from the flood tho right? Just a malfunction at the station. Poor people who got swamped. I would not be happy either. Glad you didn't get hit but how come you don't and neighbors do. Think you said you might be a bit higher up? We don't have sewers at our property, just our own individual home septic systems. Got to have them pumped every so many years or get them checked to see if they need pumped. So far we have never had to pump in 14 yrs. The guy comes to check and says nope not yet and he does not even charge us to check as long as we dig the lid up so he can get down there and look. What a job! He said he's had Hepatitis a few times from it.
Your pond looking nice w/ all the plants growing now in the Summer sunshine.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thanks JW! The main reason we escape lots of "shit", is cause our drain pipe on the floor was plugged on the ground by hubby last year after the sewers were flooding, and we left it part way plugged "just in case". Plus all these people also have a bathroom tolite in the basement, and we don't. Sewer comes up from the bathroom tolite too if you have one in the basement.
When we moved here in 1987, there was never any trouble with sewer, then came the really big flood in 1995, and we only escaped flooding in the basement then cause we worked really hard plugging everything off good with that big flood. In 1995 there was much more pressure on the sewer as the water in the river was extremely high that year. Everybody here flooded with sewer except us. When they told us to evacuate, of course we never, we stayed and plugged everything in sight, but at the peak of the river's crest that year, a tiny pin hole had developed half way up the black pipe that carries sever from the upstairs tolite. The pressure was so great, that the sever water coming out from that tiny pin hole shot all the way across the room! Back then hubby got out a hot glue gun and blow dryer, and did an emergency repair and fix it right away!

Now the city has grown quite large since then, and there is many many homes that have been built up out of this valley where I am. They need to built more sever lifts to carry the extra waste away, and thst is the main reason I think that we get sever back up in this area these days, after a big rain storm or flood.

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh boy what a fine mess the city has to deal w/ now! Glad you have it figured out and hope it keeps working for ya. Seems as tho people should know about this problem as when deciding where they want to live they could keep this in mind. New people should be warned before they buy cuz if the city won't pay for it when it happens then guess who gets to? If it's cuz the homes need upgrading then they need to be warned before they buy and if it's the cities problem then they should pay and then they will charge a fee on the usage of the sewers at a higher rate of course cuz somebodies gonna pay them back.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I think the city is to blame mostly, we need extra sewer lifts to carry the excess sewer away and then it should not back up. They are always tearing up the roads here and fixing old city pipes too. This part of town is very low in elevation too. The brand new Condo town houses behind my house got sewer back up last year, so it is not because of upgrading needed there for sure! They are going to have to build more sewer lifts to carry the excess sewer away cause of all the new sub divisions all over town, then there will no be so much problem with back up down here at the lowest level of town. I am just glad not to have sever back up thank God!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep sounds like they need to do the fixin but you all will still have to pay in the long run cuz they don't do anything w/o getting money from the public that's for sure! Better tho to have good secure working sewers cuz you guys can't all go on living like this. Some are going to start getting sick from having to mess w/ all the crap coming up sooner or later or maybe they already do have some cases, who knows?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Yes, JW they really do need to fix this problem, and not just a cheap patch either. The city is just going to have to add another sewer lift cause things should not be like this. The guy next door has kids and old parents live in his basement, and he had to deal with sewer last year too. On the next street over they have trouble too. The whole area has trouble cause we are so low down in the valley, and all the sewer waste from up on the hills travels down this way before it goes to the treatment plant.

Ask a Question