sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That is wider one and you can pull it closer to make it higher in the middle .Mike made one for the other house to grow veggies year round .He used 3 panels to make it longer .I think it would make a great shade cover for the pond also .Even make a great chicken coop .

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
It does look nice and simple, but they only have one layer of plastic and mine needs to be warm, and cozy during the long cold winters we have here. I use the 2X4's cause I can staple heavy duty plastic to each side and have a 1 1/2 inch space in between the 2x4's as "air insulation". Then the peak can be lowered with plastic and I can capture a big amount of air in between the plastic and that keeps the greenhouse very cozy during -40 below. I will show you when I get it worked on next week. The weather is really nice and things are melting that were frozen to the ground so I can get the greenhouse cleaned up and fix the burnt side up. It will be better than new when I am done next week, :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Mike used 2 layers of 20 mil plastic on his .He just put the rolls over it and layed concrete blocks on top of the plastic at the bottom .He even had a couple of branches from trees hit the top of it with just a slight hole that he patched up with tape .We had those bad winds and heavy rain that week

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
You have to capture a air pocket in between the layers of plastic in order to insulate, as air pocket forms a better barrier from deep cold. Those types are what we call up north here "cold frames" and are difficult to winter. They work great for spring and we used to use similar cold frames at suntec. My greenhouse has to be warm and I use many layers of plastic, but the large air pocket in between the 2/4's helps to better stop the deep cold. Then the tall peak of my greenhouse can be closed off in winter and then I will capture way more air on roof this time. That will really keep greenhouse much warmer so I won't have to boast heat with candles.

The reason "down filled" blankets and coats are so much warmer is because they "puff" up aND capture way more air. Well that is what I try to do with my greenhouse.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have the double panels on mine and it really works much better than w/o the air in between. They have triple panels too.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
JW up here the real greenhouses that winter all winter have large air pockets in between the panels or things would be just way to cold. When it is very cold you HAVE to have air pockets or it would cost a fortune to heat. Air is the best insulation and that is why "down filled" coats work so well. It is hard for you to understand cause you don't have such extreme cold. I used to have no air inbetween many years ago and the inside walls would be covered in thick ice like the inside of a freezer! I used to work at a greenhouse in town 14 years ago and I can tell you that up here you have to have air pockets to protect the plants from getting frosted inside greenhouse!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
It is lIke winter boots JW. Have you ever froze your feet in winter cause you wore double socks thinking your feet would be warmer?? Lots of people make that mistake and then the air pocket is gone and boots are tight. When I was in the army years ago we were all told never to do that and make sure your winter boots are one size larger so their is a air pocket or your feet freeze to death!!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
The greenhouses up here that run all winter have air blown in between the layers of poly to keep them really warm and heat efficient. They have large bubbles of air pockets to insulate from extreme cold. In other areas south of us they many not need that and so many of you may not have heard of large air pockets in between the poly, but you just have to if you are planning to winter in minus 30 to minus 45 below around here. I know it sounds crazy to some of you, but air is the very best insulation and that is why insulation is light and fluffy for houses, cause it traps lots of air like downfilled coats.

https://www.hydro.mb.ca/your_business/farm/solar_energy_greenhouses_results.pdf

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
JW that is a link is from Manitoba where it is one of the coldest places on the planet. My greenhouse that I made can be very very efficient if I just lower the peak on the roof by adding another layer of poly to close of the peak of the roof for winter. I will lose space but I will retain much more heat and then I will not have to use candles to boast the heat when it is really cold. I could just put the heater on max but I am afraid I will blow a circuit while I am sleeping. Plus If I can keep greenhouse above freezing with heater on low that is best to save money. I will trap air in the triangle space that makes up peak of roof.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep I believe you when you say air in between will sure help keep the heat it better. Just glad it doesn't get that cold here. But bubbles, wow that is something I have never heard of. If it works then I say do it!

Your sis looks pretty prego sitting there. Sorry she is going through this and yes she does need help cuz she is in big denial. Does she still look pregnant?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Look!! Here I am, up all night, never slept yet, was busy doing Christmas and making everything nice in my Blue-T-Full Christmas Porch!
20141210_040023.jpg
20141210_040036.jpg
you can see the hornwort growing in the tank in the next room threw the front porch window

20141210_040143.jpg
20141210_040202.jpg
20141210_035952.jpg

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I am speaking with my mother on the phone right now, close to midnight, so she can hear that sweet beautiful song, she said she heard it a long time ago, and I think it is the most beautiful song so when my mother comes down I am going to play it for her! And Little Rio cannot be trusted with the candy canes on the tree! I caught her running around
20141210_132023_006.jpg
20141210_132107_003.jpg
20141210_230444.jpg
20141210_230820.jpg
with one in her mouth today!

Ask a Question