Ponds in Canada

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
sorry to hear tula and loosing a parent is not easy
I spent so much of winter, looking forward to ponding and gardening and planning my new filter purchase. Losing Dad, just kind of derailed me. One of my filters was smashed by a falling tree and I'm disappointed in the filter I purchased.

Normally I'd be like a fiend, with planters and disguising my ugly filter etc, but I just can't summon my creative energies. I do take care of my koi, clean filters etc....hopefully I'll feel the joy again, soon.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Colleen, your pond and gardens are enchanting! I wish I had your magical touch!

Do your koi spawn? If so, are their babies? Your water is always so clear and clean looking. I never bought a spinning ball....I'm just hanging in there this summer, with my pond.....I don't have the creative energy this summer, after losing Dad three months ago.
Sorry about your Dad, it takes time to recover and get your creative energy back. Just hang in there my dear Tula, the heart will heal in time.
My koi breed and so do the goldfish, but I only get a small handful of babies cause most get eaten by dragonfly nympths that live in pond... Dragonfly nympths are very quick and very mean to baby fish...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My koi breed and so do the goldfish, but I only get a small handful of babies cause most get eaten by dragonfly nympths that live in pond... Dragonfly nympths are very quick and very mean to baby fish...
Population control!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
What variety of the brands do you feed your fish w/ @callingcolleen1
I have goldfish w/smaller mouths than koi. Wonder if they would like the cat food varieties as I have a cat who might like it also.
@Tula I noticed tho it was quite pricey!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Oh my heavens, they LOVE the Orijen !!! How many gallons in your new, upper pond? It looks very spacious for your koi:)
The new upper pond is about 5 feet deep and a square 8 feet by 8 feet. Not sure how many gallons off hand... Enough for them big mouth koi for now...

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
What variety of the brands do you feed your fish w/ @callingcolleen1
I have goldfish w/smaller mouths than koi. Wonder if they would like the cat food varieties as I have a cat who might like it also.
@Tula I noticed tho it was quite pricey!
I feed the smaller goldfish the Acana Small breed Puppy chow. I also feed the bigger fish the Orgin Large Breed. I have both at home for the big puppies and baby Rio. Acana and Orgin made by same company and its just what the puppy kids eat too.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
We feed it to our golden pup, very expensive, but high quality ! It may be more reasonably priced in Canada, as it's made there.
Still pricy here too but at least it is very fresh cause its made here in Alberta and pound per pound still way cheaper than most fish food, plus the koi go crazy for it.

Ask a Question