Ponds in Canada

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I never knew they were colored :) You're so fortunate your local pet store will accept them. A while back I had a a couple stores that would take small fish but no longer :(

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
The one local pet store likes me and I know them well. Fish are all very healthy too. I really enjoy the guppies out in that pond and find myself out there every day around noon, then the sun is shining nice in pond and I so enjoy feeding the little "beggars"! ha ha

Picked a ton of plantain out of the grass last few days. That stuff is just awful and I find myself out on the grass, crawling on my hands and knees, picking them out all day today and yesterday.... someday I will get all them weeds! ha ha ha

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Picked a ton of plantain out of the grass last few days. That stuff is just awful and I find myself out on the grass, crawling on my hands and knees, picking them out all day today and yesterday.... someday I will get all them weeds! ha ha ha

Make a salad

Plantain, like dandelion, is a healthy, hardy weed as ubiquitous in the city as broken glass. You know what it looks like, but you might not have known the name.

Part of the confusion is that plantain shares its name with something utterly different, the banana-like plantain, whose etymology is a mix of Spanish and native Caribbean. The so-called weed plantain, or Plantago major, was cultivated in pre-Columbus Europe; and indeed Native Americans called it "the white man's footprint," because it seemed to follow European settlers.

Plantain has a nutritional profile similar to dandelion — that is, loaded with iron and other important vitamins and minerals. The leaves are tastiest when small and tender, usually in the spring but whenever new shoots appear after being cut back by a lawnmower. Bigger leaves are edible but bitter and fibrous. [World's Plants Growing Less Thanks to Warming]

The shoots of the broadleaf plantain, when green and tender and no longer than about four inches, can be described as a poor-man's fiddlehead, with a nutty, asparagus-like taste. Pan-fry in olive oil for just a few seconds to bring out this taste. The longer, browner shoots are also tasty prepared the same way, but the inner stem is too fibrous. You'll need to place the shoot in your mouth, clench with your teeth, and quickly pull out the stem. What you're eating are the plantain seeds.

The leaves of the equally ubiquitous narrow-leaf plantain, or Plantago lanceolata, also are edible when young. The shoot is "edible" only with quotation marks. You can eat the seeds should you have the patience to collect hundreds of plants for the handful of seeds you'd harvest. With time being money, it's likely not worth it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Love your yard and ponds Colleen. That little guppie pond is so cute. I wondered too what you would do with all those guppies this winter. :)

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Make a salad

Plantain, like dandelion, is a healthy, hardy weed as ubiquitous in the city as broken glass. You know what it looks like, but you might not have known the name.

Part of the confusion is that plantain shares its name with something utterly different, the banana-like plantain, whose etymology is a mix of Spanish and native Caribbean. The so-called weed plantain, or Plantago major, was cultivated in pre-Columbus Europe; and indeed Native Americans called it "the white man's footprint," because it seemed to follow European settlers.

Plantain has a nutritional profile similar to dandelion — that is, loaded with iron and other important vitamins and minerals. The leaves are tastiest when small and tender, usually in the spring but whenever new shoots appear after being cut back by a lawnmower. Bigger leaves are edible but bitter and fibrous. [World's Plants Growing Less Thanks to Warming]

The shoots of the broadleaf plantain, when green and tender and no longer than about four inches, can be described as a poor-man's fiddlehead, with a nutty, asparagus-like taste. Pan-fry in olive oil for just a few seconds to bring out this taste. The longer, browner shoots are also tasty prepared the same way, but the inner stem is too fibrous. You'll need to place the shoot in your mouth, clench with your teeth, and quickly pull out the stem. What you're eating are the plantain seeds.

The leaves of the equally ubiquitous narrow-leaf plantain, or Plantago lanceolata, also are edible when young. The shoot is "edible" only with quotation marks. You can eat the seeds should you have the patience to collect hundreds of plants for the handful of seeds you'd harvest. With time being money, it's likely not worth it.
I will invite my vegan sisters to an "all you can pick and eat salad" ha ha ha!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I love your big beautiful balls, someday I will have some. I still just have the 5 &1/4" smaller one and it won't stay in the right spot as I need to adjust the water flow and I am lazy :rolleyes:

Your fish are big, big beauties :joyful:

Ask a Question