Ponds in Canada

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I was a member of our local horticulture club and had my pond on the tour twice, once in 2000 and then again in 2004. Maybe it is due for another "show"! Me and my mom go on the garden tours every year, love showing off my ponds to people. I was a member for quite a while but then I join belly dance classes and that is on Monday night, same time as the Hort Meetings.

I got a new and exciting idea for the "scare them Heron" stings, took down the old strips of cloth and hung pretty dollar store colored spinners, they look good and go with the rest of my garden junk.... will get pictures tomorrow.....

I am really in the mood to party, worked hard at work tonight (evening shifts this week), so I am having a glass of wine right now ....

Today, different angles of my beautiful pond .... :)

Attachments

• IMAG7646.jpg
    IMAG7646.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 215
  • IMAG7644.jpg
    IMAG7644.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 150
  • IMAG7497.jpg
    IMAG7497.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 160
  • IMAG7653.jpg
    IMAG7653.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 205
  • IMAG7633.jpg
    IMAG7633.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 180
  • IMAG7632.jpg
    IMAG7632.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 179
  • IMAG7634.jpg
    IMAG7634.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 174
  • IMAG7642.jpg
    IMAG7642.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 183
  • IMAG7640.jpg
    IMAG7640.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 147

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Colored spinners and shiny tinkle butterflies with colored glass jewels catch the sun and sparkle nicely on new white twine over the pond. Gone is the old tattered thin worn strips of cloth. New Blue Heron Scare'm away fancy garden junk now in place. Like to see that Heron "dazzled" by all my new shiny "made in China" junk! :)

Attachments

• IMAG7719.jpg
    IMAG7719.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 212
  • IMAG7717.jpg
    IMAG7717.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 197
  • IMAG7720.jpg
    IMAG7720.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 173
  • IMAG7724.jpg
    IMAG7724.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 207
  • IMAG7722.jpg
    IMAG7722.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 166

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The geese are giving you a nice heads up on the work you have done on making your pond Heron safe and pretty at the same time. Good job Colleen :banana:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Puppies like goodie's too! You are so good to them and they will repay you w/ their love and devotion and warm puppy bodies in the cold winter time :blueflower:

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Yes the one with the big blue heron bird, that is the yellow flag iris, and it is not grown in any soil, and it naturally floats in 3 feet if water! This plant is now growing about an inch per day. Fish winter under it! The last picture is just a few days ago and you can see how it is growing!

The plant that is similar, behind it, in the bottom pond, is a Sweet flag, which is totally different and not a iris, and has more of a greenish color.

Attachments

• IMAG7799.jpg
    IMAG7799.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 189
  • IMAG7795.jpg
    IMAG7795.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 160
  • IMAG7783.jpg
    IMAG7783.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 179
  • IMAG7436-1.jpg
    IMAG7436-1.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 154
Reaction score
Colleen, I bought one of the $Tree rainbow pinwheels for just that purpose. Once it dries out here, I am going to lash it onto an upright post to add distraction to the heron that tried to visit last spring. Have not seen it yet this year though. Hope it stays away. Saw my big Bull Frog in the little kiddy pool instead of the pond. By the time I got the appropriate net to try to net it and put it back into the pond....well the dang thing crawled out of the kiddy pool and I believe it is under the pool or the slide one, hiding out! Unfortunately, I have not seen my Green Frog who had taken up residence in the same kiddy pool the BF was in. I worry, but not much one can do. Ahhh wildlife/pondlife. I have a blossom just a tip is showing already in the pond, the lizards tail is doing well, but no sign of my Rush Pickeral :( Lots of lily pads though. My flag iris appears to have bit the dust but the cat tails are doing well. This morning we had some spawning going on as well. ;) Of course, my pond does not even shine a candle to yours. Yours is super! :boldblue:

Shoestring Ponder :goldfish:

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thanks Shoestring! I am sure your pond brings you much joy, and that's all that matters. I am not lucky like you and we don't get bull frogs or green frogs either. We have some green frogs at the creek but they won't live by my pond like yours do. I got the pinwheels to help scare the heron, but the twine above my pond that is criss crossed high from the trees to the roof of the house, keep the heron away very well. I used to have strips of old cloth tired to the twine, but this year I got fancy and got dollar store glass like garden bells and stuff to hang instead of the old weathered strips of cloth. The old strips of cloth worked very well, so we shall see if the fancy stuff does the job too!

This is what is hanging from the twine ... plastic jewels that look glass like!

Attachments

• IMAG7837.jpg
    IMAG7837.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 165

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Well they were cheap! Dollar store cheap! I bought about 30 dollars worth of them and I really love how they look like jewels handing in the air and even prettier when the sun hits them.

My other sister came to get some help with her pond, I gave her some plants to fix up her pond that she got last year. She is in the process of cleaning it up, she had the worst case of PEA green water I have ever seen, ha ha ha!! ..... hope she doesn't read this post!!! She just suddenly "showed up" after several "mad at me" years! So.... for the love of ponds, we reconnected and it was nice! I made a big fire cause she was freezing, and asked me when I was going to "slow down" and I said "not till the sun goes down cause times a wasting, need to get lots done"!

Ask a Question