Ponds in Canada

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Amazing what some artists can do with metal. Nice Heron.
Your iris is a heck of a lot further ahead of mine, mine is only about 6" tall now. Fish keep nibbling at the roots, too.

Admit it, Colleen, you don't really have a pond, you have a very elaborate planter for your iris! :lol:

Reaction score
Oh my gosh, your yellow flag is Hugh! Mine is only about five inches tall. I put in the pond last year. Guess some day mine will hopfully be as big as yours and eat all the nutrients out of the pond. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Colleen, the mint I bought isn't necessarily aquatic. I just found it at the garden store and re-potted it by shaking out all the dirt and mulch from the roots and repotting it in pea gravel, but so far it's doing good. I'm starting to think you can re-pot almost anything and grow it hydroponically. Do you agree? I'm going to get some lemon smelling plants too now. Are there any plants that I need to be careful of that could make the fish sick?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Water lillys are apparently posionious but the fish do fine with them. Snails will take the odd bite out of a Lilly then leave it alone. I would experiment with plants that are non toxic and safe, or known aquatic plants, just to be sure. If the mint is like my aquatic mint, it will jump out of the pot and throw shoots everywhere. My aquatic mint is not potted, but it does grab on to the nearest plant and run loose from there.

I find most large aquatic plants with large roots do best when not potted, and allowed to roam free in the pond, My large sweet flag is growing quite nice too, although it does not get as big or quite as tall the my yellow flag. I have often just taken shoots from these plants and shoved them in a shallow area, wedged in with rocks, no soil, and they grow best that way. If you put these large plants in a pot, they jump out or their growth gets stunted from being contained in soil.

Keith I think you are right, lots of plants have adapted to water over time. In the wild pond, the pond can some years go dry but lots the plants will still survive, and sometimes areas that were dry turn into wetlands, and again, grass and other plants will adapt and there will always be plants growing at the waters edge....

Mtpond, your yellow flag will grow, just takes time. If it looks like the pot is to small, then it is most likely getting root bound. You can take a shoot from the pot and start one in the shallow rocks for now, with no soil, and that shoot will grow quick without any container to stunt it's growth.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ok now something is growing in the middle of my Sweet Flag Colleen! Looks like grass and has seed heads on it. Whatever it is guess I am stuck w/ it in there cuz too hard to pull or dig out!
Here is the Sweet Flag:
IMG_4915.JPG

See the grass w/ the seed heads?
IMG_4916.JPG

IMG_4917.JPG

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Yes JW, regular grass has seeded into the dwarf sweet flag that you have. It will need to be pulled out or just take rhizome cuttings from the sweet flag and start a new one, and the old one will have to be butchered and it will not be pretty for a while, but should be done or the grass will take over the whole plant. Grass does grow well in water I see...

Here is what a sweet flag bloom will look like, rare to have the sweet flag bloom though.:)

Attachments

• IMAG3328.jpg
    IMAG3328.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 122

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
OH darn not looking forward to that job but I'll give it a try someday soon.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Not a big deal, grass looks not too bad, and grass is natural by the pond too! You can always divide it early next spring and pry way the grass.... :)

Pink and White Flower petals are falling everywhere and in the pond too! The trees were just loaded with flowers this year and the bees were very busy, everytime I walked past the crap apple trees the whole tree was just buzzing with millons of busy bees! Not a big deal to have apple flower petals in pond, because the petals disolve to nothing pretty quick. I do net out the excess petals as well.

Attachments

• IMAG8355.jpg
    IMAG8355.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 172
  • IMAG8357.jpg
    IMAG8357.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 128
  • IMAG8353.jpg
    IMAG8353.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 191
  • IMAG8354.jpg
    IMAG8354.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 141
  • IMAG8351.jpg
    IMAG8351.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 176
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Colleen...maybe you can tell me what's up with my water iris. I put it in the pond last year and it barely grew at all and managed to get 1 little yellow bloom. now so far this year it has still barely grown at all. Certainly doesn't seem to be filling out like yours does!! I have it anchored just in rocks and the deepest crown is about 6 inches below the surface, the rest are around 4 inches below the surface.

Attachments

• photo 11.JPG
    photo 11.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 120
  • photo 21.JPG
    photo 21.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 178
  • photo 30.JPG
    photo 30.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 134

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Water irises take a couple good years to get established. You usually don't see any blooms the first year or even two. It would help to know what type of water iris it is, as many people have the Louisiana water iris sown south there, and they like shallow water, where the yellow flag can go in water three feet deep. Those water irises you have planted look pretty good considering they were planted last year. They will grow, but how tall depends on what variety of iris you have and how much sun it gets. You probally have the same iris as me if it booms yellow.

I think your iris looks well planted in the pond and it looks good so they should start filling out and next year they will be twice as big and nice and thick. My hardy Yellow Flag water iris is over 20 years old and has been divided many times over the years, so my clump is very mature. Yours should start filling out soon! :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Love your heron Colleen! That is beautiful, I would gladly pay 100 bucks for one like it.

Reaction score
Jen & Colleen ... I know nothing about water iris, but got one from CE as a bonus when she was digging up cattails for me (maybe she can tell us what kind it is) .. this was just a little thing that was growing mixed in with the cattails ... it has already tripled in size and has two blooms getting ready to open ,,, it is just stuck into gravel, with about 2" of water above the crown. I think it is a purple, and not one of the huge varieties ... It's too dark now to get a picture, but can take one in the morning. I'd try raising it up a bit, but it is just a guess on my part.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Cape wind, their are many types of water Iris, I got a book full of different types, most are of Louisiana irises, but if you get a good picture of the bloom I can try match it up with the pictures in my book of water Irises.

Yesterday the wind was bad, things in the garden look a little beat up, and I had so many flower petals in the pond, way more than past years, and of course they fell in the pond. I placed a catch net in two of the waterways, where the water drops to next pond, and that got rid of most of them quick. It was so windy I never took any pictures cause there is broken branches, leaves everywhere, must rake and tidy up again. I see the wind is blowing again and the skies are filled with dark clouds, supposed to rain for the next two days now.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
There is a strong line of storms headed my way .Just started putting warnings up at 5:30 pm .I still have to go pick up my lemon grass ,but trying to get some weed pulling done while guy does the check up on the heat pump .He told me it would take 2 or 3 hours but feels like forever .He is almost done .I just wish i could get caught up .

Ask a Question