Ponds -- it's fascinating to watch.....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
How would leeches get into a pond? Birds is the only thing I can think of. Do you have to have leeches in water nearby? And wouldn't the fish eat them?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The fish must eat them but they are still in there because when I scoop stuff out I can see them. I think they could come from plants or bird legs or who knows? Mostly I think plants tho. They are in our lakes,rivers,ditches around here too. I have collected plants from all of those. I rinse them off but some could still get in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I once cleaned out a pond I had, out near the ocean in Oregon. I'd gotten some sand/gravel for in my stream, out of the local stream through the property. This was a year our so later. Imagine my surprise in finding a lamprey eel in there! Have you ever seen one in an aquarium? Stuck on the glass, all you see are rows inside rows of nice circles of TEETH. If one of them grabbed on with it's sucker mouth....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I once cleaned out a pond I had, out near the ocean in Oregon. I'd gotten some sand/gravel for in my stream, out of the local stream through the property. This was a year our so later. Imagine my surprise in finding a lamprey eel in there! Have you ever seen one in an aquarium? Stuck on the glass, all you see are rows inside rows of nice circles of TEETH. If one of them grabbed on with it's sucker mouth....
:eek:

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Silly me! I thought this was going to be a nice thread about relaxation and watching the wonders of our ponds. :) Instead, I'm sitting here after reading and I can feel my skin crawling, scratching at imaginary tiny monsters. :eek: I dare not go near my pond for fear of whatever denizens of the deep may be lurking and waiting for me to lower my guard!
1d86dd5c71e69330f956471c717980c7.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I love going out to my pond and just watching all the critters in the web of life! Dragonflies have been dancing, mating, and laying eggs! (All very acrobatic!) A couple of spiders have beautiful webs stretched across the pond, to catch bugs flying over. Baby fish, water striders, and some funny bugs. I still have a tub with pond plants I don't have room for. I can't bring myself to dump it out, because the water is so gorgeous and it's just fascinating to me that such a small ecosystem can be so self-regulating. AND because there is one lonely leech in there. He swims like a ribbon and while I don't want him stuck on my hand, he is pretty in a weird way. And back in the pond, of course, are the 10 big goldfish and about 4 or 5 babies. The babies are big enough to swim with the big kids, so that's fun. The big fish are hilarious. If a little piece of bark lands in the water, or if a poo drops off of someone, everyone has to check, double check, and quintuple check that it's not food. One sucks it in, considers it, then spits it out -- "Nope, not food." Then the next guy says "Wait, let ME check," sucks it up, thinks, then spits -- "Nope, you're right. Not food." And on it goes until everyone has tried the poop -- just to be sure.
Ponds are pretty entertaining!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
It's hard to beat just laying at the edge of the pond and watching all the little critters in the water! A distant relation/ancestor, is Swamp Fox, I think I inherited the Swamp part. As a kid, catching frogs and tadpoles for my aquarium, gunking through the muck was a favorite pastime.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Silly me! I thought this was going to be a nice thread about relaxation and watching the wonders of our ponds. :) Instead, I'm sitting here after reading and I can feel my skin crawling, scratching at imaginary tiny monsters. :eek: I dare not go near my pond for fear of whatever denizens of the deep may be lurking and waiting for me to lower my guard!
View attachment 100979
Well, that's what it was SUPPOSED to be about.....LOL!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
ponds are sweet or a horror .I have never seen any really bad bugs in my pond .But the sneaky little lizards can scare me when they pop up or run from a hiding spot .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have found a new, strangely satisfying pond task. I sit and relax, then spot a long trail of string algae. I have my trusty, skinny bamboo stick next to me, so I stick it in there (it's long enough to reach wherever and thin enough to be delicate with) and twirl it up to pull it out. It's like stinky green cotton candy!
And I'm pretty sure the fish think it's for their entertainment.

Ask a Question