Ponds -- it's fascinating to watch.....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If your pond doesn't already have string algae, chances are that any you put in there will die off.
The spores for algae are pretty much omni present. If the conditions are right, algae will grow. It's not the end of the world.:)
I tried adding string algae to my pond and nothing grew from it. Either the fish ate it or conditions were not right for it to grow.

I get string algae on my water fall, but not in the pond. I periodically pull it off the falls and toss it in the pond. The fish go nuts eating it up. They swarm around my legs waiting for the next piece to be tossed in the water. The next day it seems to be gone.

As far as critters in the pond. The ones that gross me out the most are the blood worms. ECK! I use to get in the pond up to my waist until I cleaned the pumps the first time and found all these little red worms squirming everywhere!!! AHHHHHH! ever since then I only get in the water up to my knees. LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Gordo, do you seriously want me to mail you a baggie of algae? I'd be happy to, once mine regenerates -- which won't be long. Do you think two day mail would be fast enough for it to survive? (Assuming you were really serious!)
That's funny thanks for the offer ...I was half serious because my rebuild went pea soup when I posted the request. From this forum I learned string algea was a good as it beat the algea responsible for the pea soup look to the nutrients until the plants caught up. I know time , patience and the return of string algae will cure the pea soup.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That's funny thanks for the offer ...I was half serious because my rebuild went pea soup when I posted the request. From this forum I learned string algea was a good as it beat the algea responsible for the pea soup look to the nutrients until the plants caught up. I know time , patience and the return of string algae will cure the pea soup.
Although I fussed in the spring about the toad frog breeding invasion, I have come to like it since their is nothing I can do about it and I have three different size sets of little Toad's hopping around the yard. I catch myself looking down when I walk so not to step on them. Even before the pond I have always had alot of tree frogs and this last week was their time for fornicating, I rescued three sets from my skimmer and I have four sets of eggs tucked around in my pond. So the next generation of tree frogs are coming on. The best thing about tree frogs is that they sing all summer long breeding or not

Ask a Question