addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The groomers came back today. Usually when the bog is running they don't walk in it and eat, guess they like the taste of the plants. She is on the yellow flag clump.

The deck pond is full of big tads, ie green frogs, they overwinter as tadpoles. When walking out there all you see is water movement as they swim to hide.

Screenshot 2021-03-13 065040.jpg
Screenshot 2021-03-13 065113.jpg

Reaction score
Western central lower peninsula - Michigan
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Wood ducks today. Spring has arrived.

A pair of wood ducks arrived today. They make lots of happy noises when they first land.
There is just a tiny bit of ice left on the pond, and that is when they usually arrive.
As early as mid Febuary to early April. A couple hours after they showed up, a pair of
mergansers showed up as well. We usually get them for a week or two on their way north.
Seeing both pairs together was a treat.

I've chased off three different pair of geese that have landed in the last week. Usually
I'm out the door scaring them up before they get comfortable. Talk loudly and wave a big
leaf rake over my head. They like to talk to me when their leaving. I scared the most recent
pair away yesterday, and then today the wood ducks and mergansers show up. Spring at last.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
my 2 favorite ducks the king and the woods ducks

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States

The male wood duck is nibbling the neck of the female. They'll be rolling in the grass before too long. Our two nesting boxes have
fresh cedar wood chips in them, and it was cool to see that one of them had been used last year.

A couple seconds after this shot, the muskrat realized he had a huge crowd watching him a little too close for comfort. His
rapid dive, with a good tail slap, startled the turkeys as well. Hilarious.

We're about 2 weeks away from spring peepers where we live.

Last edited:

brokensword

Not all those who wander are lost
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
So sad to see the red bellied wp dead like that. Any idea what caused it?

The distribution map of European Goldfinches is expanding , and many are supposed to be in Michigan, but we've never seen one.
Maybe someday. Gorgeous.

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question