Post your yard and pond visitors

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I know many people dislike the copperheads, but I do think they're gorgeous snakes. Here's a pair we moved out of the wall last weekend -
two copperheads 02.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I like snakes, have not run into any poisonous ones here. In AZ ran into sidewinders, rattlers all of the time

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I like snakes, have not run into any poisonous ones here. In AZ ran into sidewinders, rattlers all of the time
We technically have timber rattlers in our area, but they're pretty rare. We saw one once when we were out on a hiking trail about 30 miles from home, but none on our property or in our neighborhood. The copperheads are another story - they're everywhere! Now, I admit that our property is designed to be wildlife friendly, so we do attract more than our fair share. And it has been a particularly good year for snakes of all sorts, I guess. We can't go a day without tripping over one! :LOL:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I know many people dislike the copperheads, but I do think they're gorgeous snakes. Here's a pair we moved out of the wall last weekend -
View attachment 133057

They are one of the most incredible looking snakes, I think.
I do have the advantage of not having any venomous snakes in this area. Historically there were a lot more rattlesnakes in Wisconsin, but they were wiped out by people. :( There are luckily still some populations along the Wisconsin and Mississippi rivers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
They are one of the most incredible looking snakes, I think.
I do have the advantage of not having any venomous snakes in this area. Historically there were a lot more rattlesnakes in Wisconsin, but they were wiped out by people. :( There are luckily still some populations along the Wisconsin and Mississippi rivers.
Logging in the area is what reduced our timber rattler population to the level it is now. Apparently they reproduce very slowly & have a hard time coming back from that sort of thing. And, sadly, the vast majority of people around here simply kill any venomous snake on sight. Heck, I know people who kill ANY snake on sight. Although, often the rat snakes are given a 'pass', because people believe the old wive's tale that "the black snakes keep the copperheads away". (they don't, but I rarely correct people spewing this misinformation because at least it keeps them from shooting at the poor rat snakes! lol)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Logging in the area is what reduced our timber rattler population to the level it is now. Apparently they reproduce very slowly & have a hard time coming back from that sort of thing. And, sadly, the vast majority of people around here simply kill any venomous snake on sight. Heck, I know people who kill ANY snake on sight.

Our state had a bounty on rattlesnakes until 1975. Even after the bounty ended, their numbers have continued to drop because we continue to destroy their habitat.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My neighbor asked me to take a garter snake from her yard. Said if her hubby saw it he would die! So I put it in my biggest garden bed w/all the trees and there he lives happily ever after. I saw him the other day in there so guess he is happy there for now. We don't have any poisonous snakes on this side of our mountains. The east side of the mountains has rattle snakes as they have much hotter Summers over there.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What happened in Minnesota?

The Fargo (ND) and Moorhead (MN) area sprayed insecticides across 100 square miles for mosquitoes. It ended up killing thousands of migrating Monarchs. My assumption would be it also killed a lot of bees and other pollinators, but the focus right now is how many dead monarchs are being found in neighborhoods.

Last edited:

Ask a Question