Post your yard and pond visitors

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
While tragic, fortunately monarcs are not a species without 100s of billions in number. The bees and other victims are probably not so lucky. Though I will admit I have seen A LOT more hunny bees in the wild this year here in the north east. TWO THUMBS UP THERE.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Looks like this is not the only time it has happened! Saw reports of same thing from several years ago

It's common, unfortunately, but this is the worst case scenario for Monarchs with it being during peak migration for that area.

While tragic, fortunately monarcs are not a species without 100s of billions in number. The bees and other victims are probably not so lucky. Though I will admit I have seen A LOT more hunny bees in the wild this year here in the north east. TWO THUMBS UP THERE.

From a technical standpoint, if every honey bee in the U.S. died off, it would technically improve the ecosystem by allowing more pollen and nectar sources for native bees, likely allowing for native bee populations to rise. They also aren't in danger. Humans have a pretty good hold on their population.

Last edited:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
First Leopard frog in the pond in YEARS!

IMG_4580 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
When I went to clean out my skimmer baskets this morning I lifted the lid & found something I hadn't bargained on. The screen on top was designed to keep critters from having an unfortunate encounter with the pump. Today it helped to keep ME from having an unfortunate encounter with one of the 'locals'. A 'Holy Crap!' moment if ever I had one (and I'm really not snake phobic - I actually like them!)
skimmer surprise 01.jpg

We were able to quickly get him wrangled & into the garbage can for relocation. I love my snake tongs. Best! Investment! EVER! Especially this year. The copperheads have been quite abundant.
skimmer surprise 02.jpg

skimmer surprise 03.jpg

They are beautiful snakes, but damn! I would prefer not to find one in the skimmer again. :sneaky:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Beautiful snakes but not a good one to have around!
We usually see a couple around off & on during the summer. Mostly hanging out in the stacked stone wall in front of the house. This year I've lost count of how many we've seen/caught/relocated. And this was a first for finding one in the skimmer!

B

Burd

A bird hit my bedroom window this morning, a thrush I think, I a,ways bring hem in to rest fir a few hours. If you can just pick them up a cat or hawk would get them. After a few house he want to get out of ICU. Lol. He flew away. It’s not a Robin, but it looks like it in the pic
761307F9-9B58-4300-B58E-06B0DD62FE78.jpeg

Ask a Question